• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in this fandom for so long I've seen the "THIRD GAMES ARE SO POINTLESS AND GREEDY IN THE DS ERA! WE WANT DLC!" rhetoric turn into "PAID DLC IS SO POINTLESS AND GREEDY!" rhetoric. I feel like I'm getting too old for this.
Honestly, I'd rather just have them make the definitive version right from the start, no third game, no DLC.

I've been in this fandom for so long I've seen the "THIRD GAMES ARE SO POINTLESS AND GREEDY IN THE DS ERA! WE WANT DLC!" rhetoric turn into "PAID DLC IS SO POINTLESS AND GREEDY!" rhetoric. I feel like I'm getting too old for this.
Third games were kinda pointless and could have been DLCs, this doesn't mean the original games lacked some post game. This is news from the 3DS era.

It should also be noted that I think the main path might be longer then previous games, given the three different paths going into the endgame.

You can still, apparently, fight E4 members in the tournament.

Yeah the Elite four can be rematched in the school tournament.
As for the post game conversation, from what I have heard the main game has enough content this time around that it doesn't... need a huge post game. Especially not one to the degree that like, a DLC story would be.

That still sounds like greed, or worse, laziness to me. They couldn't just take their time to make a game that's complete right from the start?
Pardon my rudeness here but videogames aren't free to make, and it sure as Giratina ain't free to add stuff to them! It costs money to create new 3D models and program stuff like battle facilities, but yeah, go ahead and call GameFreak greedy for wanting to be paid for the stuff they sunk time and money into creating.

DLC content isn't stuff they took from the base game, it's stuff they would have shoved into a third version but decided not to because people like continuity and don't want to start a whole new adventure that is 90% identical to the primary versions when they could just download the 10% that makes third versions interesting directly into their pre-existing games.

And by the way, GameFreak uses the money they get from people who buy the main series games to fund NEW main series games.

Well, I think you and I have been in this fandom long enough to notice post-game had coincidentally been even further diminished the first generation we had DLCs. I think it's easy to understand that this is where the dissatisfaction comes from. Back then people wanted content from third versions (and not the post-game of the base game) to be introduced into their base games without having to pay the price of a full game once again. Now they just want the base game post-game to be satisfying enough without having to pay an extra for DLCs. That is, a part of them, because there's also others that were always against both third versions and DLCs (me included).
Pardon my rudeness here but videogames aren't free to make, and it sure as Giratina ain't free to add stuff to them! It costs money to create new 3D models and program stuff like battle facilities, but yeah, go ahead and call GameFreak greedy for wanting to be paid for the stuff they sunk time and money into creating.

DLC content isn't stuff they took from the base game, it's stuff they would have shoved into a third version but decided not to because people like continuity and don't want to start a whole new adventure that is 90% identical to the primary versions when they could just download the 10% that makes third versions interesting directly into their pre-existing games.

And by the way, GameFreak uses the money they get from people who buy the main series games to fund NEW main series games.
The games aren't free to make, nor are they free to play :wynaut:, unless you're pirating it.
There's nothing wrong with asking for a full game from the start, you paid for it. That's what the post you quoted was saying.
And yes, assuming they weren't making a full game from the start, but rathr making a lackluster game on purpose in order to sell the rest of that content as DLCs, it would be greed on their part, yes. Of course, this is just an assumption, but it was exactly the point mentioned. Maybe DLC isn't stuff they took from the base game (though we don't know, this also an assumption), but again dissatisfaction comes when the base game seems to have even less than games had back then when DLCs didn't exist.
err, unless you're being very generous with what's consider post-game, the vast majority of the base games lacked post-game.
Not really. As expected, the series has evolved and post-games have increased over the generations. Guess we can count GS as an expection for this, but DP had a bigger postgame than RS. BW had a bigger postgame than DP. And then the 3DS era began the decline.

Can't speak for SV though because I've been trying to avoid spoilers so I've seen very little. If the base game content really is big enough to be worth the supposedly post-game lack, that's fine.

And yet, fascinatingly, we appear to have gotten neither an actual battle facility even at the level of the original Battle Tower (programmed more than two decades ago) nor new models for any Pokémon that isn’t new (though we got some new textures, some of which look… questionable). This despite the monumental success of the eighth generation. Why do you think that is? I think that it’s fair for some fans to find certain elements of what we’ve seen from these leaks incredibly disappointing. I think it’s entirely fair to question whether the games are fully cooked or whether they’ve fallen victim in some areas to the unsustainable pace that has been set for the series in recent years.

DLC talk in the fandom began to ramp up specifically in response to the Battle Frontier in ORAS, and people didn’t want that potential DLC to necessarily be paid, to my recollection. Even those who would have paid for third version style content were making those points under the assumption that the base game without DLC would still be complete and up to the prior standards of the series. I don’t think that those wishes were at odds in any way with the perspective that paid DLC in modern Pokémon looks a little like an excuse to charge for content that could have been in the base game from the outset.

Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield: 25.37 million pcs.
25,370,000 x 60 = 1,522,200,000 (1.5 billion)
Well that number is kinda useless if we don't know how much it take to actually make the game.
Well lets take the most expensive game to make EVER: Star Citizen (NOTE: Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet likely cost way less than this but this to prove a point more than anything)
339 million dev cost + 61 million marketing cost = 400 million cost
But we will use 420 million inflation cost
420 million x 2 (because why not) = 840 million
1,522,200,000 - 840,000,000 = 682,200,000 million that's almost enough to do it a third time!
All in all Game Freak is able to pay their pay their employees and fund their game. But since Pokemon probably costs less to make than Star Citizen, they could fund multiple games and their dlcs plus more. That's just from a SINGLE GAME sales alone.
List of highest-grossing media franchises - Wikipedia <- 1st place
At the beginning of this post I was mad, Game Freak could add more. I'm talking about the stuff that made my imagination soar. A battle frontier or national dex. One add a different layer to Pokemon and one allow you to form multiple wondrous teams to challenge the region. When Beware was added to Pokemon I planned to do a bear team to take through a game. I didn't have two 3ds so I'd have to wait. Or maybe do a full ghost team, as of more recent generation there are so many cool ghost Pokemon it would be so hard to choose. I knew Game Freak would likely allow you to transfer Pokemon forward I'd be able do this in a future game. Pokemon Home allows you to store 30 Pokemon at a time, I've used it to transfer Pokemon between saves, it's really cool.

With the direction Pokemon is going I'll likely never do the things I wanted to do in the past. Now I'm feeling super deflated. I've been excited for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. I'm sure I'll have tons and tons of fun playing them. Can't wait. Only five more days. But while playing Violet it'll be in the back of my mind, all those thing I can't do.
I was meaning for this post to be a little rude in the beginning, but I'd like to apologize in advance. But, I felt this needed to be posted.
Man, I feel so defeated.

I don't know enough about these things to really comment in depth, so all I'll say is that game development is more than the amount of money that can be put in. Its also about having enough time, as well as the right talent to pull of something great. Even then, you can have all the money, time, and talent in the world and still release a bad product like CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077.

The one thing I can admire GF for in this regard is consistency. For all the criticisms levelled against them, they have always put out a serviceable product within a tight deadline, one that at least 60~70% of fans enjoy and always sells like hotcakes. For every feature that is culled or lost, I feel that they add just enough new ideas and QoLs to make up for it. I'm excited for Scarlet/Violet because it seems like the new features this time more than make up for what isn't present in the base game, although I completely understand that not everyone will agree.

That said, people should continue to call GF out for things they are dissatisfied with. Its really the only way to "potentially" sway their decisions moving forward given that the games will profit regardless. We'd all benefit from GF taking feedback seriously, but I think we would feel a lot less bitter if we can acknowledge the things they do right in addition to calling out the bad, instead of focusing just on the latter.

Does anyone know the gym leader rematch teams? and if the Team Star Leaders can be rematched too?

Does anyone know the gym leader rematch teams? and if the Team Star Leaders can be rematched too?
No Trainer data yet so far, but I've read somewhere that Team Star Leaders can also be rematched. I've been trying to avoid too many story spoilers though, so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

lifetime revenue alone of a game doesn't help you determine how much actually returns back to GameFreak in terms of revenue and profit/loss. that is to say, no, SwSh did not generate $1.5B in cash for GameFreak. all parties involved almost definitely made a good amount off of the game, sure, but since game development accounting is opaque, we won't know the margins on it.

Well, I think you and I have been in this fandom long enough to notice post-game had coincidentally been even further diminished the first generation we had DLCs. I think it's easy to understand that this is where the dissatisfaction comes from. Back then people wanted content from third versions (and not the post-game of the base game) to be introduced into their base games without having to pay the price of a full game once again. Now they just want the base game post-game to be satisfying enough without having to pay an extra for DLCs. That is, a part of them, because there's also others that were always against both third versions and DLCs (me included).
Personally, as someone who doesn't care for the battle tower/facilities outside of them being time wasters...not many games really had a post game that fit my tastes outside of Gen 2. Revisiting Kanto to see how much had changed in a few in-game years was fun. But it was still a miracle that that even happened in the post game of the base game in the first place.

Honestly I rather have new content for half the price of a new game rather than get nothing at all or replay a stale game for 8 years straight. I mean DLC, especially ones that add new content, still need to make money back somehow.

DLC talk in the fandom began to ramp up specifically in response to the Battle Frontier in ORAS, and people didn’t want that potential DLC to necessarily be paid, to my recollection. Even those who would have paid for third version style content were making those points under the assumption that the base game without DLC would still be complete and up to the prior standards of the series. I don’t think that those wishes were at odds in any way with the perspective that paid DLC in modern Pokémon looks a little like an excuse to charge for content that could have been in the base game from the outset.
It was way before that though. Like I specifically remember people calling Platinum a cash grab and how they should just do DLC moving forward since the DS had internet capabilities. I mean people even groned at the mer thought of B2W2 before it was announced that they were going to be direct sequels and not just 2 third games.

The Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra had a lot more put into it than like...the Daybreak DLC for Legends. The most Daybreak had was edited code and new dialog, where as Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra had entirely new areas with their own pokedexes, items, and even new Pokémon. It would be like if Legends added the complete Shinjoh region and added like 50 new Pokémon.

Question: Does anyone know if Pokemon are visible in trees before you knock into them? I was watching a streamer trying to find a Bounsweet which says its “found in trees” in the PokeDex, but he never found it or Slakoth either. I know when you gain the rush ability, you “accidentally” knock into a tree causing a Pokemon to fall out but I’ve yet to see any gameplay of this.

I'm so incredibely happy Charizard and Typhlosion got new idle models. Charizard finally stands on the ground instead of flapping his wings erratically and Typhlosion finally has his flame activated.

Typhlosion is no longer a goofy goober. He's now just a goober.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom