• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General Sports Thread

The USMNT looked like crap the other night. Not really sure what else to say, losing 4-1 against Ireland (which no offense to any Irish supporters here, the result really should be the reverse based on talent and rankings). In fact they're struggled since the World Cup.

Julian Green needs to get more run, both for club and for country. He's the future for the Americans, and I see him developing into our best playmaker for 2018.

While I'm concerned about their current form, there is things to be pleased about. So much young talent for the Americans coming through the ranks. But in the end we have to win in the knockout stages to reach the next level. With Green, DeAndre Yedlin and others developing... I think we can be a top eight threat in 2018.

The USMNT looked like crap the other night. Not really sure what else to say, losing 4-1 against Ireland (which no offense to any Irish supporters here, the result really should be the reverse based on talent and rankings). In fact they're struggled since the World Cup.
No offense taken. I actually didn't see the match so I can't say much about it.
Although from what I read, that wasn't a full strength Irish team. Fifa rankings don't really mean much tbh. Scotland are in the 20s (both played terrible lost 1-0), Germany are top (although not at full strength but drew 1-1).
As for the talent thing. There's plenty of it within the squad imo. Just the more talented players weren't playing.

Although from what I read, that wasn't a full strength Irish team. Fifa rankings don't really mean much tbh. Scotland are in the 20s (both played terrible lost 1-0), Germany are top (although not at full strength but drew 1-1).
As for the talent thing. There's plenty of it within the squad imo. Just the more talented players weren't playing.

There is quite a gap between the US and the Irish in the rankings, but I should have mentioned that the Irish were not playing a full side. It was especially bad since a lot of the US talent was playing (not all of it, but enough).

I did watch the game and the US was simply outplayed in all phases of the game (it was not a fluke or an unwarranted result, the US got the scoreline they deserved. They were poor in the midfield, their attack wasn't great - even if Altidore hit the crossbar with an absolute rocket that should have gone in, and the defense was dreadful - they misplayed 24 passes in their own half which no matter who you are is going to lead to opposition goals). The Irish played excellently, at least in my view.

Was also the worst US loss (in terms of scoreline) in history to a team outside the FIFA top 60 (Ireland is 61)

It made me smile watching the Cavs lose to the Spurs yesterday. Especially off a LeBron turnover during the final possession that could've tied or won the game.

There is quite a gap between the US and the Irish in the rankings, but I should have mentioned that the Irish were not playing a full side. It was especially bad since a lot of the US talent was playing (not all of it, but enough).

I did watch the game and the US was simply outplayed in all phases of the game (it was not a fluke or an unwarranted result, the US got the scoreline they deserved. They were poor in the midfield, their attack wasn't great - even if Altidore hit the crossbar with an absolute rocket that should have gone in, and the defense was dreadful - they misplayed 24 passes in their own half which no matter who you are is going to lead to opposition goals). The Irish played excellently, at least in my view.

Was also the worst US loss (in terms of scoreline) in history to a team outside the FIFA top 60 (Ireland is 61)

That amount of mistakes would be enough to destroy any team in the world. Judging by the scoreline I'd agree with what you said, the US did seem outplayed overall, especially with a 4-1 result, although I wouldn't really mind the result. Both teams had very experimental teams playing.
Heard that Robbie Brady scored a good free kick for Ireland.
For what its worth, while I don't think that the Republic of Ireland should be 61st they don't deserve to be inside the top 30. They're not that great having been watching them for a good few years. Have even been at a few international games too.

The free kick was very well taken. And you're right about the experimental teams, some of the US analysts are complaining about Jurgen's like for playing guys out of position (which I don't agree with. It's good to experiment now, rather than later when the stakes are high).

As for Ireland, you would know a lot more than me given this is the first time I've ever watched them play lol. But they looked much better than that ranking to me (even if this was not their A side)

I watched their near-full strength squad play last Friday vs Scotland. They played really awful and there was not one player who played good.
Klinsmann is right to experiment as it gives him more options in case of injuries and he can easily get players to fit in different positions when they're needed, though he shouldn't do this too often.

They can have good days and terrible days, usually more terrible days than there are good days. It's hard to watch them sometimes.

With a win in game 11, Magnus Carlsen wins the World Chess Championships with 6 ½ to Vishy Anand's 4 ½. The last game was very exciting, with a great sacrifice from Anand that unfortunately did not pay off in the end. Game 12 will not be played because Carlsen is already above 6, and he will remain world champion for the next two years.

I just feel that this should be stated but what the heck happened to BVB. They were like the 2nd best team in Germany.

Dortmund were an excellent team who could beat anyone the past few years
But this season, with hardly any changes in the squad, they are absolutely horrid in the Bundesliga

Strangely enough, they do manage to show their potential in the Champions League

Weird shit going on there

Boxing Day was amazing. You have like 3 games of test cricket. It is like a cricketing dream of dreams.

Well, NHL hockey is something I watch as often as possible, and my favorite team is the Blue Jackets. The team I hate the most right now is the Penguins, especially Sidney Crosby.

So the Wildcard week for the NFL includes

- Cardinals v. Panthers
- Ravens v. Steelers
- Bengals v. Colts
- Lions v. Cowboys

Who you got?

So Australia wins the Border-Gavaskar trophy and Dhoni retires.

Coolskies

This Arizona v. Carolina game is really bad. It is just so ugly and not in a good way.

Ugly and gross indeed. Carolina moves on. Cam Newton looks like a warrior who's taken one too many shots. They're gonna get crushed in the next round.

So the Wildcard week for the NFL includes

- Cardinals v. Panthers
- Ravens v. Steelers
- Bengals v. Colts
- Lions v. Cowboys

Who you got?

Would have picked Carolina (did in my money pool so... so far so good there).

Ravens
Colts
Cowboys

I'm a Panthers fan, so I'm glad Carolina schooled the Cardinals. ^^

But I'm also a Steeler fan first, and they had a sorry game against the Ravens. :( Didn't help that Le'Veon Bell couldn't play and the defense went back to being the sucky trash they were in the first half of the season. Ben Roethlisberger blames himself for the loss and wishes he could apologize to every individual fan and teammate and such out there, but I don't think he was that bad at all. The guys around him just didn't do their job aside from a few good plays.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom