• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most inappropriately typed Pokemon

How is it that a Pokemon's family that is basically themed on light and illumination inappropriately typed by not being part dark? It doesn't even have any of the usual dark-type tendencies.
'Dark' doesn't mean dark, it means dark!

...okay, hold on, scratch that...

Luxray could've gone either way. In this particular instance, it's wrong to firmly say that it HAD to be one typing over another. If I had to wager though, I'd say most people are like me and would've liked to see it become an Electric/Dark typing in order to get at least one Pokemon with that combination out there. There's been plenty of pure Electric Pokemon as it is (and they like to run with Crunch of all things too).

Plus, Luxray looks pretty wile and ferocious. It will fuck yo' sheet up, mang.

How is it that a Pokemon's family that is basically themed on light and illumination inappropriately typed by not being part dark? It doesn't even have any of the usual dark-type tendencies.

I didn't say it was "inappropriate". All I'm saying is that it would have been a little more interesting to have it an Electric/Dark type. At a first glance, because of it's dark color scheme I had thought it was orginally part Dark until I had caught one. V Faction pretty much summed up what I was getting at:

If I had to wager though, I'd say most people are like me and would've liked to see it become an Electric/Dark typing in order to get at least one Pokemon with that combination out there. There's been plenty of pure Electric Pokemon as it is (and they like to run with Crunch of all things too).

Plus, Luxray looks pretty wile and ferocious. It will fuck yo' sheet up, mang.

I think Misdreavus and Mismagius should've been Psychic/Ghost. Why? I don't know it seems logical.

Staraptor should've been the first Fighting/Flying pokemon. But if you think about carrying STABed Close Combat and Brave Bird, would've autimatically made it a OU.

There is a reason why Gyarados was not given DRAGON type. It would've been the Palkia of the 1st generation.

I think Misdreavus and Mismagius should've been Psychic/Ghost. Why? I don't know it seems logical.

Staraptor should've been the first Fighting/Flying pokemon. But if you think about carrying STABed Close Combat and Brave Bird, would've autimatically made it a OU.

There is a reason why Gyarados was not given DRAGON type. It would've been the Palkia of the 1st generation.

Nintendo doesn't care about tiers.

As for Gyrados, you have a point, as well as the myth about flying carp and the fact that there was only supposed to be the dragonite line as dragons and none of them get stab off anything and yadda yadda. I should just copy paste this every time Gyrados is mentioned.

Phanpy should be awesome type. it just should. it should have EVERY TYPE THAT THERE IS. EVEN IF THEY WOULD CONTRADICT EACH OTHER.

I don't know why Altaria is dragon type. :/

It's a bird, and doesn't even look like a dragon...

Last edited:
I don't know why Altaria is dragon type. :/

It's a bird, and doesn't even look like a dragon...

I agree. :/

Also generic ones like Gyarados. Just because it being a dragon type would make it kinda 'broken' doesn't mean you can just give it a random type like flying. :mallet:

Again, Dialga was based on diamonds. Diamonds are very hard, and steel is very hard too. Plus, they're both minerals.

So are rocks. I wonder how much time and thought is spent determining the type combinations of pokemon while developing the games?

I think Zoroa and Zoroark should have had the psychic type too, but Gamefreak thinks that Dark/Psychic is too awesome.

I think that Staraptor should be a Flying/Fighting-Type Pokemon. I don't know why, it just seems to fit. Also, then Staraptor could get STAB from Close Combat.

I agree with most of what people have already said, so I'm not going to go into any of that.

But I especially agree about Luxray being Electric/Dark. I just looks like it, so how can it not be? My Luxray is one of my main battlers and I've used it since I started the game (it's now level 91) and I still think it's a Dark-type part of the time. Doesn't help that its ability is Intimidate (which seems like a Dark-type ability to me) and it learns Crunch either...

How Gastly/Haunter/Gengar are part poison type.

I kinda understand Gastly, but Haunter and Gengar...?

I agree with this statement too. I don't really see the Poison aspect to them.

Dunsparce's typing also confuses me. I mean, it's coloring makes it look like the Normal Pokemon that it is, but the way it looks and it's close proximity to the ground make me see it as a Ground-type.

I don't think this has been said, but sometimes I think Tauros should also be at least part Ground, maybe Normal/Ground. I don't know why, but he strikes me as the kind of Pokemon that should be Ground type. Plus, I think it would be kind of fun to have him be part Ground and then unleash Thunderbolt on any unsuspecting Water types. :)

Because we got Slowpoke/bro anyway?

But Psyduck and Golduck are described to have Psychic abilities, and the chronic headache of a Psyduck that causes its Psychic abilities is referenced in its sprite. As opposed to Slowpoke and Slowbro, which don't even look Psychic. As such, I would rather have the Slowpoke line solely be Water type and the Psyduck line be partly Psychic.

Because we got Slowpoke/bro anyway?

A slow wall is the same as a (moderately) fast sweeper? The two are different enough to merit the same typing.

Besides, Gamefreak didn't have a problem with an overabundance of Water/Ice or Grass/Poison pokemon.

Edit: On the subject of poorly typed pokemon.

Venusaur: Why with the poison type? It's not like Victreebel or Vileplume where the poison type was an integral part of the design. And like several other part poisons, it's never been able to learn poison moves except by TM. (And Poison Powder, which is more of a Bug/Grass type move anyway, given it's distribution). Grass/Normal would be acceptable, or even mono-type Grass.

Blastoise: Water/Steel. It has giant steel water cannons pointing out of it's shell. What more of a reason do you need?

Charizard: Fire/Dragon, no question.

Vileplume: A reasonable case could be made for re-typing this as Grass/Dark, but Poison fits it fine too.

Venomoth: Bug/Psychic. (You could give it levitate, but Tinted Lens is still better). It learns several good psychic moves, and few poison moves.

Golduck: As has been discussed, Water/Psychic is a no-brainer for him.

Gengar and it's ilk. Pure ghost is the most logical for these guys. They've never been able to learn poison moves except by TM, so it's kinda strange to have them typed as one.

Arbok and Muk should have been retyped Poison/Dark in Gen II

Closter: Ice always seemed a weird type for a pokemon modeled after tropical animals. Water/Steel makes much more sense.

Electivire and Magmortar: Should have been /Fighting types. They just seem very bulky and scrappy, and they learn several good fighting type moves. Admittedly, we probably don't need another Fire/Fighting, but Elevtic/Fighting would be unique.

Porygon: A digital pokemon. Either Normal/Electric or Electric/Ghost if you want to pull a Rotom.

The Fossil Pokemon: If Rock wasn't such a sucky type, I could forgive it's overuse here. As the type is now, it makes little sense for some of them.

Eveelutions: Actually, this isn't about their typing, but their evo methods. With the Dawn and Dusk stones, and the Leaf Stone, an Ice Stone should have been introduced so all the eveelutions can evolve in the same way.

And that's all really. IMO, of course.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom