• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Ha now I feel bad xD Anyway, the thing is that MGallade, IMO, will have "Donphan Syndrome". It can be a boosting physical attacker - but not as good as Terrakion or Pinsir or Diggersby or Heracross or Talonflame or w/e. It can be a bulky sweeper with Drain Punch - too bad Conkeldurr and MVenu are things that exist. It can be a stallbreaker with Wisp and Taunt - but why use it when Talonflame, Infernape, and Mew all can do the same with better Speed tiers and reliable recovery? (and Gengar gets in on the action too but I would be lying if I said Pain Split was reliable xD) Your point is that it is a unique combination of these things and that will grant it a niche - it will be a bulky stallbreaking physical booster. This sounds great on paper. Another thing that sounds great on paper is a hazard setting Rapid Spinning physical wall with good offensive presence and utility in Knock Off and Ice Shard. But in OU, something that does a lot of things tends to do none of them particularly well - hence we use Landorus Therian to have utility, Hippowdon as a physical wall, and Excadrill as a hazard remover with offensive presence. And if you bring Donphan to an OU match people will laugh at you and you'll be sad. I unfortunately think MGallade will be in the same boat.

You're probably right, you do know more than me about these things, so I'll concede for now :mad:. Tbh I don't even care about Gallade that much, so it makes no difference to me where it ends up or how used it ends up being, I just don't think it's fair to write it off right now. I hope they surprise us with its stats, 110 Speed (or more if they are feeling super generous) would be great.

I think it will be similar to MAbomasnow - a monster in lower tiers but outclassed as a wallbreaker by Heracross and KyuB in OU. Mixed 130 attacking stats and good defenses sound fantastic, but you quickly find that 13o isn't actually that great without a Life Orb or Choice Item backing it up and the defenses are irrelevant when you have a 4x to a common attacking type. Camerupt will likely be stronger than Aboma due to SF but it lacks priority (Shard is great for stuff like Chomp), a 100% accurate primary STAB, and is sort of shoehorned into being purely special by his Sheer Force movepool (Rock Slide is the only really viable physical option) plus it can't break sashes or provide team support with Hail.

Also lacks any sort of healing - Aboma has Giga Drain (or Leech Seed if you're that desperate) at least. I'll live in hope that they'll add Slack Off as an egg move then. :(

I'm surprised just how much Gallade is dominating the poll. I guess the cool cape animation won a lot of fans?

That and the generally not bad design is what's making me overlook the lackluster ability. If only the Ralts like became Fairy/Psychic, Gallade would have made better use of Pixilate than Gardevoir.

I voted for Mega Metagross since we're all getting it in shiny form pretty much. I figure that's worth the vote since we haven't actually played with any of them. Plus...it's cool looking. Especially as a silver shiny. I really was a particular shiny... I hope I'll get to see it. I really want to see it!

I'm surprised just how much Gallade is dominating the poll. I guess the cool cape animation won a lot of fans?

That and the generally not bad design is what's making me overlook the lackluster ability. If only the Ralts like became Fairy/Psychic, Gallade would have made better use of Pixilate than Gardevoir.

Now I'm sitting here wishing for a Pixiliated Return from M-Gallade.

mega gallade? more like mega overrated. It is cool, but not cool enough to warrant winning by that ridiculous amount. I can name at least like five other things on that list that I consider to have a superior design.

Mega Diancie will be the best (and worse for most non-ubber people) because this beep is going to be its BST:
150 (+50)
100 (-50)
150 (+50)
100 (-50)
150 (+100)
plus with its Magic Guard, it will be a way better Deoxys.
I believe those offenses are about the same as a base 100 Pokemon holding a Life Orb, so that's really not that impressive. And I really doubt it's going to have 150 speed, I'm guessing base 100 or 110 at best.

Magic *Bounce may be a gr8 ability, but do keep in mind Diancie's bad movepool.

I think it will be similar to MAbomasnow - a monster in lower tiers but outclassed as a wallbreaker by Heracross and KyuB in OU. Mixed 130 attacking stats and good defenses sound fantastic, but you quickly find that 13o isn't actually that great without a Life Orb or Choice Item backing it up and the defenses are irrelevant when you have a 4x to a common attacking type. Camerupt will likely be stronger than Aboma due to SF but it lacks priority (Shard is great for stuff like Chomp), a 100% accurate primary STAB, and is sort of shoehorned into being purely special by his Sheer Force movepool (Rock Slide is the only really viable physical option) plus it can't break sashes or provide team support with Hail.
In exchange for not having a priority move, it will be hitting about 30% harder due to sheer force (probs) and have the somewhat useful ability to not take every single attack for x2/4 damage. You write off said point due to the x4 water weakness, but really, what water-types will want to switch in on its earth power? Water coverage isn't that common of a thing, so it's only water types themselves it will have to worry about. It's not gonna be anyfin amazing, but it's sure as shit going to be better than mega abomasnow, imo.

Last edited:
Personally, I see Mega Diance's stats being: 50 HP / 150 Atk (+50) / 125 Def (-25) / 150 Sp.Atk (+50) / 125 Sp.Def (-25) / 100 Speed (+50)

mega gallade? more like mega overrated. It is cool, but not cool enough to warrant winning by that ridiculous amount. I can name at least like five other things on that list that I consider to have a superior design.

I believe those offenses are about the same as a base 100 Pokemon holding a Life Orb, so that's really not that impressive. And I really doubt it's going to have 150 speed, I'm guessing base 100 or 110 at best.

Magic *Bounce may be a gr8 ability, but do keep in mind Diancie's bad movepool.

In exchange for not having a priority move, it will be hitting about 30% harder due to sheer force (probs) and have the somewhat useful ability to not take every single attack for x2/4 damage. You write off said point due to the x4 water weakness, but really, what water-types will want to switch in on its earth power? Water coverage isn't that common of a thing, so it's only water types themselves it will have to worry about. It's not gonna be anyfin amazing, but it's sure as shit going to be better than mega abomasnow, imo.

There's this thing called Rotom-W, you might have heard of it? :p

Hooray for opinions. Personally no other Mega gave me as much hype as Gallade did, at most Mega Audino made me go "d'aaaaaw" =P

I do find it interesting that Mega Altaria is in second place. Didn't know people liked it that much.

x2/4 damage. You write off said point due to the x4 water weakness, but really, what water-types will want to switch in on its earth power? Water coverage isn't that common of a thing, so it's only water types themselves it will have to worry about. It's not gonna be anyfin amazing, but it's sure as shit going to be better than mega abomasnow, imo.

all right, that's one water-type that can switch in on earth power. Being stopped hard by washtom sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Talonflame isn't exactly struggling for usage, you know.

The point of my statements was to retort what I interpreted as you saying Megarupt will be about as good as Megasnow, which I think is a big stretch. Megasnow has way too many damn weaknesses and hits significantly less hard. I am not sure how good Megarupt will be in OU, though I'm sure its unique typing, decent bulk, and power will allow it to function as at least a passable tank/wallbreaker.

Hooray for opinions. Personally no other Mega gave me as much hype as Gallade did, at most Mega Audino made me go "d'aaaaaw" =P

I do find it interesting that Mega Altaria is in second place. Didn't know people liked it that much.
I am just slightly annoyed that most megas have two or three votes, and then there's mega gallade with fucking 23. Personally I think people are giving it too much credit.

Just wish the other megas got more love. But I suppose I am making it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is. *shrug*

x2/4 damage. You write off said point due to the x4 water weakness, but really, what water-types will want to switch in on its earth power? Water coverage isn't that common of a thing, so it's only water types themselves it will have to worry about. It's not gonna be anyfin amazing, but it's sure as shit going to be better than mega abomasnow, imo.

all right, that's one water-type that can switch in on earth power. Being stopped hard by washtom sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Talonflame isn't exactly struggling for usage, you know.

The point of my statements was to retort what I interpreted as you saying Megarupt will be about as good as Megasnow, which I think is a big stretch. Megasnow has way too many damn weaknesses and hits significantly less hard. I am not sure how good Megarupt will be in OU, though I'm sure its unique typing, decent bulk, and power will allow it to function as at least a passable tank/wallbreaker.

I am just slightly annoyed that most megas have two or three votes, and then there's mega gallade with fucking 23. Personally I think people are giving it too much credit.

Just wish the other megas got more love. But I suppose I am making it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is. *shrug*
Gyarados can switch in and set up on Camerupt. AV Azu won't mind it too much. CroCune will be able to set up on MCamerupt if it can switch in on FBlast, Rock Slide, or Flash Cannon/Iron Head. The Lati Twins can switch in in anything and KO with Life Orb Surf if they pack it. AV Slowbro can take both physical and special moves from Camerupt and KO in return, then switch to heal. Bulky Manaphy can come in and start setting up CMs. Goodra packs Muddy Water semiregularly these days. I could go on (Slowking, Jellicent, Mantine) but I think I've proved my point. I honestly think they will be around the same level. In my original post, I acknowledged that MCamerupt will be stronger, then proceeded to list a crapton of advantages MAbomasnow has. Power isn't everything, and MCamerupt's poor defensive typing is a huge problem (only having 2 weaknesses is nothing to brag about when they're Water when Azumarill is one of only two Pokémon you could reasonably argue to be "the best Pokemon in the game" bar Ubers of course, and Keldeo and Greninja can RK, and all those things I just mentioned counter, and EQ is common as dirt (pun intended) especially with Sand as good as it is right now, and Lando-I is the best special wallbreaker in the game and he can switch in on your most spammable STAB and start pullin off shenanigans like Calm Mind, Rock Polish, or Stealth Rock with impunity as the sheer threat of LO SF EP is too great for a team to mess around and risk losing their Mega.

MCamerupt's poor defensive typing is a huge problem (only having 2 weaknesses is nothing to brag)

You're really over-exaggerating this; I know Water and Ground are common attacking types, but Fire/Ground is not a poor defensive typing. This is my single biggest annoyance when people talk about Camerupt - they always say how bad its typing is. The weaknesses aren't great, sure, but poor is really the wrong word for it. Immune to Electric; resists Fire, Fairy, Steel, Bug and Poison; weak to Water and Ground. That isn't a poor defensive type at all. The two weaknesses are unfortunate, but there's only two, so they can easily be handled by the rest of your team because

And it's not like something like Mega Abomasnow, which has a poor defensive typing, and you'd need multiple things on your team just to cover its multiple weaknesses.

If you're only going to take account the weaknesses when deciding if something is a poor defensive typing, regardless of how few or if it has some useful resistances, I guess Ferrothorn has a poor defensive typing (4x weak to Fire... terrible, along with being weak to Fighting), Heatran (god 4x weak to Ground, weak to Water, weak to Fighting, how could it be so poor), Mega Mawile (weak to Fire and Ground, terrible, only two weaknesses, definitely not worth bragging about), Mega Venusaur (weak to Flying in the era of birdspam as you were telling me about Mega Gallade, also weak to Psychic... two weaknesses such a poor defensive typing). I know Fire/Ground isn't on the level of those typings defensively, but Fire/Ground really isn't a poor defensive typing. In fact, it's probably quite similar to Mega Venusaur's typing. Grass/Poison with Thick Fat is weak to two types (Flying, Psychic) however both are 2x and Psychic isn't particularly problematic for the most part, with resistances to Water, Electric, Grass, Fairy and Fighting. Grass resistance isn't particularly useful (Fire/Ground's Bug + Poison), but Water, Electric, Fairy and Fighting are good (Fire/Ground's Fire, Steel, Fairy and Electric). Yes, Mega Venusaur has better stats and recovery etc etc I know, I'm just comparing the typings.

It has an unfortunate 4x weakness to Water, that's the only problem with it. Other Pokemon that are 2x weak to Ground do just fine, so don't make that an issue when it isn't. (Especially when resistances to Electric, Fairy, Steel and Fire are useful. Bug and Poison are less useful, but they are still there and are only more positive.)

And before you go into a massive explanation about how everything in OU wrecks Camerupt with Water and Ground moves: that wasn't my point. I have very little hope for Mega Camerupt despite it being my favourite newcomer so far, so I'm not saying it will be good. I'm only replying to your statement about its typing.

Edit:

Unless Altaria was super popular before (I know I liked it, but I wasn't aware of it being particularly popular), then I'd say most of its popularity is due to its new typing. Dragon/Fairy is a pretty big typing.

Last edited:

Gyarados can switch in and set up on Camerupt. AV Azu won't mind it too much. CroCune will be able to set up on MCamerupt if it can switch in on FBlast, Rock Slide, or Flash Cannon/Iron Head. The Lati Twins can switch in in anything and KO with Life Orb Surf if they pack it. AV Slowbro can take both physical and special moves from Camerupt and KO in return, then switch to heal. Bulky Manaphy can come in and start setting up CMs. Goodra packs Muddy Water semiregularly these days. I could go on (Slowking, Jellicent, Mantine) but I think I've proved my point. I honestly think they will be around the same level. In my original post, I acknowledged that MCamerupt will be stronger, then proceeded to list a crapton of advantages MAbomasnow has. Power isn't everything, and MCamerupt's poor defensive typing is a huge problem (only having 2 weaknesses is nothing to brag about when they're Water when Azumarill is one of only two Pokémon you could reasonably argue to be "the best Pokemon in the game" bar Ubers of course, and Keldeo and Greninja can RK, and all those things I just mentioned counter, and EQ is common as dirt (pun intended) especially with Sand as good as it is right now, and Lando-I is the best special wallbreaker in the game and he can switch in on your most spammable STAB and start pullin off shenanigans like Calm Mind, Rock Polish, or Stealth Rock with impunity as the sheer threat of LO SF EP is too great for a team to mess around and risk losing their Mega.

Camerupt can learn Will o Wisp. Setting up with Mega Gyarados would be a humongous risk. Switching any physical attacker would be silly. Also Azumarill is hardly one of the best Pokemon in the game. With Huge Power it may have great attack but that doesn't make up for its mediocre defenses and horrendous speed. As for Landorus I, it will not survive one Fire Blast from Mega Camerupt.

If Camerupt gets a reasonable boost to special attack, say 30 points then Landorus is gone. With 135 Sp. Atk, 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 354-417 (110.9 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

According to Smogon's damage calculator, Landorus I most frequently uses a Naive nature. With out that, Fire Blast will still most likely OHKO. 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 318-375 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Also Azumarill is hardly one of the best Pokemon in the game. With Huge Power it may have great attack but that doesn't make up for its mediocre defenses and horrendous speed.

Azumarill is one of the best Pokemon, Glory Blaze is right. It has one of the best offensive and defensive typings in the game with Water/Fairy, its defences aren't mediocre when combined with its typing (100/80/80 is pretty bulky anyway, even more given it usually invests in HP and has a bunch of great resistances) and it can hit very hard. It also has multiple sets: Belly Drum + Aqua Jet, Assault Vest or Choice Band. It's a very dangerous Pokemon these days (and it's always been one of my favourite Pokemon so I'm glad it's finally become amazing :} ).

Last edited:
Also Azumarill is hardly one of the best Pokemon in the game. With Huge Power it may have great attack but that doesn't make up for its mediocre defenses and horrendous speed.

Azumarill is one of the best Pokemon, Glory Blaze is right. It has one of the best offensive and defensive typings in the game with Water/Fairy, its defences aren't mediocre when combined with its typing (100/80/80 is pretty bulky anyway, even more given it usually invests in HP and has a bunch of great resistances) and it can hit very hard. It also has multiple sets: Belly Drum + Aqua Jet, Assault Vest or Choice Band. It's a very dangerous Pokemon these days (and it's always been one of my favourite Pokemon so I'm glad it's finally become amazing :} ).

I disagree completely. I don't get the love for it for at all.

As in competitively? Or just generally? No offence but anyone who thinks Azumarill isn't at the least very good competitively has no idea what they're talking about and are simply theorymonning.

Sorry to say but you're just wrong. It's not a matter of opinion - the only Pokémon that could reasonably be considered the best are Azumarill and Thundurus-Incarnate. No other Pokémon can provide the same level of support (Prankster T-Wave, Knock Off + AJ) and offensive pressure as them or fulfill as many roles (Thundurus has Defiant Physical Attacker, Bulk Up Physical Attacker, Mixed Attacker, Nasty Plot Sweeper, Utility with Lefties + Taunt, and the standard Prankster Attacker. Azumarill has CB Wallbreaker, BD Sweeper, AV Pivot, Whirlpool + Perish Song trapper, etc).

The only Landorus-I set I mentioned that uses Naive is SR, fyi. It's fine to use the Calc but you should do your research before stating something. Anyways, the point isn't that Camerupt can't kill Lando-I -it's that Lando-I puts you in a bad position just by coming in. If you stay in predicting RP or SR and he turns out to be an all out Attacker or he just predicted that and went for Earth Power, you lose your Mega early game. If you switch and he sets up Rocks or Rock Polish, you get put on the back foot incredibly early. And of he's Calm Mind you're fucked either way because +1 Lando can take a FBlast pretty comfortably.

EDIT: Oh and I totally forgot - WoW Camerupt? Please, Camerupt has no business running support moves with that Speed tier and defensive typing. Running WoW is a waste of a moveslot because if you get a free turn you need to be doing damage or else you're wasting your Mega Slot because whatever comes in is about to royally fuck you up. If you want a strong Fire type with Will-O-Wisp just use Charizard, lol. Camerupt's only viable set will be like Rash some HP/some Atk/252 SAtk FBlast EPower Rock Slide (Iron Head/Growth).

Last edited:
If Camerupt got a recovery move I could see it using Wisp. Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Earth Power, Wisp + Slack Off with Sp.Def EVs. Camerupt is already used as a Sp.Def tank in lower tiers anyway. Alas, it getting a recovery move is nothing but a pipe dream.

Mega Camerupt has a M on its face. By closer inspection Sharpedo's X now looks like a A.
Coincidence? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom