• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I'm hoping now that Pokemon like Audino and Lopunny can get Megas that others like Marowak can get them too. Marowak needs a buff. Ground/Ghost with Parental Bond would be amazing and probably absurdly broken depending on the stats it would get.

Yes to the typing, and yes to the Ability! But it probably would be be broken. Which GameFreak doesn't really care about, but... it'd still be awesome.

Not necessarily, a lot of Marowak's attack power comes from Thick Club, which he can't use if he's going to Mega Evolve. If they try to balance out his attack stat if he Mega Evolves, Parental Bond may not be so bad. And multi-hit attacks like Bonemerang aren't activated on Parental Bond IIRC.

Poor Marowak. Kangaskhan and her baby are almost literally attached at the hip while he can't even channel his dead mother's ghost. :(

OMG I totally just got an idea for the design because of that last part! Marowak could grow boney growths all over its body (like regular Lucario's arm spikes, only all over) and then a gray, gaseous cloud could envelop its body, referencing the Ghost sprite that hid the Marowak Ghost of Gen. 1 and 3! And the helmet would grow elongated horns that curl into mountain goat type horns.

And the description could be something like "After Mega Evolving, Marowak gains the ability to communicate with its deceased mother, calling upon her strength to aid it in battle. Its nature has softened due to its mother's influence, and is now a maternal figure to its Trainer and teammates. Due to its mother's spirit inhabiting its body, it gains the Ability Parental Bond, which was previously exclusive to Mega Kangaskhan. Its Attack, Special Attack and Speed get huge boosts."

Last edited:
Whoa. Really didn't think Audino would be the first Gen Fiver with a Mega! O.O

Last edited:
I'm hoping now that Pokemon like Audino and Lopunny can get Megas that others like Marowak can get them too. Marowak needs a buff. Ground/Ghost with Parental Bond would be amazing and probably absurdly broken depending on the stats it would get.

Yes to the typing, and yes to the Ability! But it probably would be be broken. Which GameFreak doesn't really care about, but... it'd still be awesome.

Not necessarily, a lot of Marowak's attack power comes from Thick Club, which he can't use if he's going to Mega Evolve. If they try to balance out his attack stat if he Mega Evolves, Parental Bond may not be so bad. And multi-hit attacks like Bonemerang aren't activated on Parental Bond IIRC.

Poor Marowak. Kangaskhan and her baby are almost literally attached at the hip while he can't even channel his dead mother's ghost. :(

OMG I totally just got an idea for the design because of that last part! Marowak could grow boney growths all over its body (like regular Lucario's arm spikes, only all over) and then a gray, gaseous cloud could envelop its body, referencing the Ghost sprite that hid the Marowak Ghost of Gen. 1 and 3! And the helmet would grow elongated horns that curl into mountain goat type horns. And the description could be something like "After Mega Evolving, Marowak gains the ability to communicate with its deceased mother, calling upon her strength to aid it in battle. Its nature has softened due to its mother's influence, and is now a maternal figure to its Trainer and teammates. Due to its mother's spirit inhabiting its body, it gains the Ability Parental Bond, which was previously exclusive to Mega Kangaskhan. Its Attack, Special Attack and Speed get huge boosts."

Shaman Mega Marowak confirmed

OMG I totally just got an idea for the design because of that last part! Marowak could grow boney growths all over its body (like regular Lucario's arm spikes, only all over) and then a gray, gaseous cloud could envelop its body, referencing the Ghost sprite that hid the Marowak Ghost of Gen. 1 and 3! And the helmet would grow elongated horns that curl into mountain goat type horns. And the description could be something like "After Mega Evolving, Marowak gains the ability to communicate with its deceased mother, calling upon her strength to aid it in battle. Its nature has softened due to its mother's influence, and is now a maternal figure to its Trainer and teammates. Due to its mother's spirit inhabiting its body, it gains the Ability Parental Bond, which was previously exclusive to Mega Kangaskhan. Its Attack, Special Attack and Speed get huge boosts."

Shaman Mega Marowak confirmed

With a bone scepter.

Marowak has access to Swords Dance, so I should think that Parental Bond would easily make it broken.

Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming.

Mega Audino is awesome looking. I like how they mixed the nurse and fairy elements of her design.
Mega Slowbro was weird looking to me at first, but its kind of adorable in a way and it's growing on me pretty fast. (Faster than Mega Salamence, anyway.)

Game Freak is really cranking out the unexpected Megas this month. First Mega Lopunny, now Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino. I'm callin' it now: Mega Lanturn. Lets see if it happens. :-D

Marowak has access to Swords Dance, so I should think that Parental Bond would easily make it broken.

With such low speed and no priority to abuse, not to mention poor defensive typing and a poor SpD stat, I doubt it would be broken.

---​

I wonder when they had originally planned on revealing Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino. I mean, we are only about three months away from the release of the games. There can't be many more Mega left to reveal, can there? We've already had 10 (+2 w/Mega Lati@s) Mega Pokemon revealed, so I can't imagine there being many more left.

With such low speed and no priority to abuse, not to mention poor defensive typing and a poor SpD stat, I doubt it would be broken.
Ground/Ghost has three immunities and you aren't factoring stat boosts here (its Special Defense doesn't need much to make it bulky). It doesn't have to be broken, but it could very easily turn out that way with the equivalent of a Belly Drum without drawbacks.

There can't be many more Mega left to reveal, can there? We've already had 10 (+2 w/Mega Lati@s) Mega Pokemon revealed, so I can't imagine there being many more left.

I'm expecting the same amount we got in XY (around 30). Perhaps a few more, since they didn't need to do new models for old Pokemon or new Pokemon for ORAS.

Ground/Ghost has three immunities and you aren't factoring stat boosts here (its Special Defense doesn't need much to make it bulky). It doesn't have to be broken, but it could very easily turn out that way with the equivalent of a Belly Drum without drawbacks.

Wait, what? Parental Bond only affects damaging moves, right?
Parental Bond causes most damaging moves used by the Pokémon to become two-strike moves, with the second attack being half as strong as the first.

I wonder when they had originally planned on revealing Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino. I mean, we are only about three months away from the release of the games. There can't be many more Mega left to reveal, can there? We've already had 10 (+2 w/Mega Lati@s) Mega Pokemon revealed, so I can't imagine there being many more left.

If I remember right, X and Y had 12 Mega's revealed before release and then we got 16 more (18 if you count Lati@s). I really think that GameFreak wants to make it up to us for a lack of new Pokémon by flooding us with Mega's. I mean at this point, if you count Mega's, we're way past the number of 'mon introduced by Johto or Sinnoh. So we might get 30 in ORAS or probably 20. If we get even more for Z version (or whatever they decide to do after ORAS), then I'll be upset that they couldn't replace a handful of those Mega's with some more Kalos 'mon.

I hope Game Freak decides to put the Johto Starters in (with their Mega Stones) at the end of the post game.

HGSS took some plot elements and event Pokemon (most notably the Extreme Speed Dratini) from Crystal. I can't see why Game Freak wouldn't adapt this Emerald element for ORAS.

If I remember right, X and Y had 12 Mega's revealed before release and then we got 16 more (18 if you count Lati@s).

13, actually.

1) Mega Mewtwo Y - Pokemon Smash (April 2013)
2) Mega Blaziken/Lucario/Absol/Mawile/Ampharos - CoroCoro (August 2013)
3) Mega Kangaskhan - Pokemon World's 2013 (August)
4) Mega Venusaur/Charizard Y/Blastoise - Pokemon Direct (September 2013)
5) Mega Garchomp/Mewtwo X - CoroCoro (September 2013)
6) Mega Charizard X - Origins (October 2013)

Even with a huge (+60) boost to its SpD stat, it is stopped by a wealth of Pokemon that outspeed it (Keldeo, Azumarill, Quagsire, Gyarados, Greninja, etc.). And at that point it doesn't have any points leftover to increase Speed or Attack by a significant amount. I think Marowak could benefit from an Evolution more than a Mega Evolution. That said, things often defy paper expectations in practice, so IDK of course.

I'm expecting the same amount we got in XY (around 30). Perhaps a few more, since they didn't need to do new models for old Pokemon or new Pokemon for ORAS.

30 would be fantastic. I was expecting 20 at most, but you brought up some good points about the lighter workload. Actually, 30 sounds very reasonable.

If I remember right, X and Y had 12 Mega's revealed before release and then we got 16 more (18 if you count Lati@s). I really think that GameFreak wants to make it up to us for a lack of new Pokémon by flooding us with Mega's. I mean at this point, if you count Mega's, we're way past the number of 'mon introduced by Johto or Sinnoh. So we might get 30 in ORAS or probably 20. If we get even more for Z version (or whatever they decide to do after ORAS), then I'll be upset that they couldn't replace a handful of those Mega's with some more Kalos 'mon.

I don't mind being flooded with Megas; I just hope the Megas are actually worthwhile. Ya know?

Question for the competitive gurus:

How would Magic Bounce/Magic Guard do on a hypothetical defensive Water/Fairy Mega-Milotic? That seems to be an ability Gamefreak are throwing about a bit. I don't battle competitively enough for me to be able to forecast stuff like this with full confidence.

If I remember right, X and Y had 12 Mega's revealed before release and then we got 16 more (18 if you count Lati@s).

13, actually.

1) Mega Mewtwo Y - Pokemon Smash (April 2013)
2) Mega Blaziken/Lucario/Absol/Mawile/Ampharos - CoroCoro (August 2013)
3) Mega Kangaskhan - Pokemon World's 2013 (August)
4) Mega Venusaur/Charizard Y/Blastoise - Pokemon Direct (September 2013)
5) Mega Garchomp/Mewtwo X - CoroCoro (September 2013)
6) Mega Charizard X - Origins (October 2013)

Oh. At least I was close. :) But the rest of my point still stands.

I don't mind being flooded with Megas; I just hope the Megas are actually worthwhile. Ya know?

I do mind being flooded because so many of them (Mawile, Altaria, Audino, Houndoom) could've just been regular evolutions like Sylveon. Wouldn't have been that much trouble since they already were treated as their own Pokémon, if only an in-battle form like Meloetta-P. And even one (Kangaskhan's Mega Baby) would've been a great Baby Pokémon to introduce. The vast majority definitely work as Mega Evolutions, but I can't help but feel that a handful could've been made their own fully fleshed out 'mon.

Question for the competitive gurus:

How would Magic Bounce/Magic Guard do on a hypothetical defensive Water/Fairy Mega-Milotic? That seems to be an ability Gamefreak are throwing about a bit. I don't battle competitively enough for me to be able to forecast stuff like this with full confidence.

I'm not a guru by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like it could be quite good. Of course you want something with Magic Bounce to have some bulk (ideally) so it can continue to switch in, and assuming Mega Milotic got a boost to its defenses, I think it'd be excellent at doing that. Milotic also has recover and a decent base 100 SpA, so it wouldn't be complete dead weight offensively either.

I do mind being flooded because so many of them (Mawile, Altaria, Audino, Houndoom) could've just been regular evolutions like Sylveon. Wouldn't have been that much trouble since they already were treated as their own Pokémon, if only an in-battle form like Meloetta-P. And even one (Kangaskhan's Mega Baby) would've been a great Baby Pokémon to introduce. The vast majority definitely work as Mega Evolutions, but I can't help but feel that a handful could've been made their own fully fleshed out 'mon.

I definitely agree with you. I find it somewhat annoying that Pokemon like Altaria got a Mega Evolution since it could have used a standard evolution instead (given its stats).

I definitely agree with you. I find it somewhat annoying that Pokemon like Altaria got a Mega Evolution since it could have used a standard evolution instead (given its stats).

Exactly. And if the whole reason why they received Mega's instead of regular Evo's is for the standard 100 BST increase... Gyarados and Milotic are both regular evolutions. They jump like 300 points when they evolve. Wouldn't be that hard to create regular evolutions that get a 100 point boost.

Back
Top Bottom