• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The return of Pokemon Stadium

BlueNostalgia

Impossible is only a word
Reaction score
I was talking with my IRL friend, you know him as Danerius Jr, about this the other day.

I want to see Pokemon Stadium One and Two to appear on WiiWare. I've wanted this for a long time, I think it'd be awesome.

However, the main reason I haven't made a thread about it until now is because of what me and Danerius were talking about. Surely it isn't entirely inconceivable that Nintendo / GF could make a cable to connect your old GameBoy to the Wii; it really can't be THAT hard.

And furthermore, if that's possible, surely it isn't impossible to use this as a method to make the original R/B/Y, and G/S/C compatible with our current Gen IV games, by first sending them into Stadium, and then sending them from there to our DS...?

Thoughts?

The first problem with this idea is the fact that nearly every Gold, Silver, and Crystal cartridge's internal battery has ran out, and very few working copies of Red, Blue, and Yellow remain. Nintendo does no longer support these games or those old systems, and there is no chance of them re-releasing them, especially for the sake of two WiiWare titles.

Also, the reason Pokemon from the first two generations aren't compatible with the newer generation is because the makeup of the Pokemon are different. There was a huge change in the EV and IV system, among many others. This was the reason Ruby and Sapphire were not compatible with their predecessors.

Personally, given the announcement that the 3DS will include its own Virtual Console, it's entirely possible the old games would be released on it. And then on the Wii, they could re-release the Stadium games. You'd be able to wireless trade and transfer Pokemon back and forth between the two systems. Of course, these Pokemon would still not be compatible with the GBA and DS installments, but I'd imagine these re-releases would attract plenty of older fans. Maybe even some new ones.

I don't think sending gen 1 pokemon to gens 4-5 would work out because the EV and IV mechanics are way different. Plus, there are natures now. However, I do wish that they'd put it on wiiware.

I don't think sending gen 1 pokemon to gens 4-5 would work out because the EV and IV mechanics are way different. Plus, there are natures now. However, I do wish that they'd put it on wiiware.

I could see how that would be an issue. However, that could be omitted, and it would be changed so that only Gen V/IV would be allowed.

I thought the internal battery problem was only with Gold and Silver? I play the hell out of my Crystal version, I've had it since 2001, and it still works fine. Also old R/B/Y cartridges aren't that scarce, or at least I didn't think so :S

Surely the problem could be averted. Would it really be so difficult for some new mechanic to be installed into WiiWare that would change the make up of the Pokemon when sending them into newer games? For the new version of Snap they installed a way that you could post your pictures or send them to friends. This isn't exactly a major change, but I don't see why it's so unfeasable.

I'm sure my sister would love a way to put her old pokemon from gold onto her newer games, and yes her gold version still works.

Surely the problem could be averted. Would it really be so difficult for some new mechanic to be installed into WiiWare that would change the make up of the Pokemon when sending them into newer games? For the new version of Snap they installed a way that you could post your pictures or send them to friends. This isn't exactly a major change, but I don't see why it's so unfeasable.

I'm guessing there isn't any easy way to do it. Because if there was, I'm sure they would have used it back when RS were released.

I'm guessing there isn't any easy way to do it. Because if there was, I'm sure they would have used it back when RS were released.

the way I see it, Pokemon Stadium would simply, whenever sending them into a gen IV game, create a Gen IV equivalent replica of the old Pokemon. It would know the same moves, have the new equivelants to IVs and Evs that i already had, the same nickname, the same OT etc etc.

Am I really just living in the clouds? Is this truly COMPLETLY impossible?

Surely it isn't entirely inconceivable that Nintendo / GF could make a cable to connect your old GameBoy to the Wii; it really can't be THAT hard.

It's possible, of course (in fact I think it'd be downright easy, for those in the know). But as others have mentioned, the internal batteries in many of the Gen I/II cartridges have died. Especially Gold and Silver. My Red, Yellow and Crystal still work, but my Silver died some time ago. The additional drain of the real-time-clock was too much for it; a problem which was at least somewhat compensated for with Crystal.

I played Stadium once. And it broke. But that's probably just me.

And I thought that the internal battery just ran the clock, and the GB/GBC's battery kept the game running.....?

Last edited:
oh that's okay. My old Blue Version still works like a charm. If I look after it would it stay okay?

Anyway we're getting off topic. I think we've established that it would be possible to do, but that it would be unlikely GF would actually do it.

If they WERE going to do it, how would you react? Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think it would be fantastic. I would never have to permanently erase my friends ever again :3

My old Blue Version still works like a charm. If I look after it would it stay okay?

Most things just deteriorate as a result of time. Game cartridges are no different. Of course, the better care you take of your cartridges, the longer they'll last.

If they WERE going to do it, how would you react? Is this a good or bad thing?

I don't see how it'd be a bad thing... But I wouldn't really care for it. I've moved on from the older games, and I never play them. I'd probably transfer some of my strongest Pokemon and my few Shinies from my Crystal version, but aside from that, nothing.

also, since when did R/B/Y have internal clocks?

They didn't, but they did still need an internal battery to preserve the SRAM (volatile memory) that the save data was stored on.

In Gen II, the single cartridge battery was responsible not only for preserving the SRAM, but keeping the real-time-clock going as well. That extra drain was why Gold and Silver games tend to lose the ability to save much more quickly than R/B/Y. The batteries used in Crystal cartridges was changed to something a little higher rated, I assume, because Crystal games tend to keep going for longer than Gold or Silver.

I've like this idea for a while. Surely the could figure out a way into tricking the old games into "trading" the pokemon onto the wii, and isn't the transfer cable basically a usb chord with its own connecter? They could figure it out if they wanted to. Also, just because the batteries are dying in the cartridges doesn't mean the games are dead. Yea you lose your save file and everything, but those batteries really aren't that hard to replace. As far as rereleasing stadium 1 and 2, I'd rather see a new stadium, with the same mechanics, but as an actual wii game, especially with the release of black and white. But to have it basically compatible with all 5 generations would make the game epic.

Yeah actually, maybe an entirely new Stadium would work better.

I'm just scared that eventually they will try this only by then it'll be transferable to Gen V instead of IV, because I want HG to remain my main game :(

Yeah actually, maybe an entirely new Stadium would work better.

I'm just scared that eventually they will try this only by then it'll be transferable to Gen V instead of IV, because I want HG to remain my main game :(

I agree. I don't like the fact that they skipped 3 main series games on being compatible with the wii games. Especially since I have platinum and heartgold

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom