• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

United States Politics

Yeah, I think everyone wants to put this behind them. This has been a very ugly and embarrassing election cycle.

I truly hope that Clinton recognizes how tremendously lucky she was to get Trump as an opponent in this election. Any competent Republican would have crushed her with everything that's come out through Wikileaks et al. If she's thinking of running for reelection (and it would arguably be wise not to do so), she'll need to find a way to make America fall in love with her within the next four years - and I mean, like, FDR-level.

You have to also note that Donald Trump has damaged the Republican party though. Anyone who stood by him in this election is going to be scrutinized. That basically rules out Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz standing much of a chance for one thing. I'd wager the flip-flopping the two have done in this election would make them easy targets for Hillary too. I don't see Paul Ryan running, but I know Ted Cruz is going to give it a shot. Mike Pence MIGHT run, but he'll have the same problem: Trump.
After such a vile campaign, I think anyone who can be tied to Trump is going to have a difficult time distancing themselves from him. However, I do think the a re-election would be harder for Hillary regardless. She's going to need to play it safe while in office if she wants to get another 4 years, that's for sure.

You have to also note that Donald Trump has damaged the Republican party though. Anyone who stood by him in this election is going to be scrutinized. That basically rules out Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz standing much of a chance for one thing. I'd wager the flip-flopping the two have done in this election would make them easy targets for Hillary too. I don't see Paul Ryan running, but I know Ted Cruz is going to give it a shot. Mike Pence MIGHT run, but he'll have the same problem: Trump.
Four years can change a lot, and if the "moderate" wing of the GOP can regain control of the party in the midterms, people like Paul Ryan will have a better chance of getting nominated if they run. John Kasich and Marco Rubio could try to run again with more success. If the Trump wing is ultimately triumphant, though, the Republican Party is going to keep getting trounced until it ends up destroying itself.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Republicans do going forward. At the moment it looks like they're shifting their focus to cultural identity and throwing policy out the window. That might play well with the base, but probably not in a presidential election.

If the GOP wants to move forward, they have to concede that they should probably drop a lot of their social platform. A particular area of contention for me is their history of unnecessary, discriminatory actions towards LGBTQ people, which is (rightfully) becoming increasingly unpopular.

If they can stand to be more socially tolerant and put more emphasis on small government/states' rights than cultural policing, they have a chance of survival.

Frankly, I also think the Dems are too bloated and have their own problems with stagnation and corruption (as certain leaks have shown us), but their platform is at least somewhat more socially palatable.

I wouldn't count on the GOP becoming more socially liberal myself. Their disdain for the LGBTQ community is probably one of the last things I'd expect them to drop. The most I could see happening is maybe making more of an effort to reach out to minority voters, as well as women.
I wouldn't call the Democratic party perfect itself, but honestly it seems like the only real choice with how deranged the GOP has gotten since President Obama took office.

I'm just disgusted that whether or not people like me deserve to be treated with dignity is even a political issue. I can understand more complicated stuff that the average schlub can't navigate well, like foreign relations and trade and everything, but why must people go out of their way to ensure we continue to be discriminated against when there are more pressing matters they can attend to?

I think you'll see the return of factionalism in the GOP, as libertarians and moderates fight to regain control of the party and adopt a winning platform and widen the base, especially among Latinos, and social conservatives and proto-dominionists fighting to maintain their stranglehold on the party. If the differences can't be resolved, I predict the Republican Party will disintegrate, with the libertarians and moderates going to the Libertarian Party and the hardline conservatives flocking to the Constitution Party (which was where they always really belonged anyway).

I would walk THE ENDS OF THE EARTH for Donald Trump NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! <3 :)

2mwywdd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted in Texas the other day and it's uh. The machines they used in my area (which is a hop, skip, and a jump away from Tarrant County) are these ancient rotary things that are super sensitive if you so much as even kindasorta nudge the wheel the other direction, or don't turn it far enough. This happens regardless of who that candidate is. It allows you to review your choice and go back and make changes if you accidentally selected someone you didn't want before you submit your ballot, though, so it's okay-ish?

If that's what they used there, it's not inconceivable that someone might mistakenly pick the candidate they don't want.

So really it's just a case of stupid UI design.

Also, in response to your other question: The Republican part of Texas has a reputation for being REALLY ENTHUSIASTIC about their politics, to the point where a lot of people consider it part of the state's identity (it doesn't necessarily have to be). Combine that with the fact that Texans of all stripes tend to get UNCOMFORTABLY ENTHUSIASTIC about things in general, and uh.

Last edited:
It's a blatant attempt to discourage Democratic voter turn out, but all that's going to happen is the new Emails receiving the same scrutiny the previous ones did. Which most likely means nothing will happen to Hillary.
It's aggravating, but I wouldn't panic. It's just another dirty trick on their part. They're starting to acknowledge that there is a very real chance that they may lose their majority in Congress AND lose the Presidential election. At this point, nothing is too ugly for them.

Thanks for that link. I shouldn't have let the internet get to me like that.

But I still have a question: if this is truly "human error", and the machines are working properly, why is this only happening to texas? So far I havent heard anything like this from other states.
Because Texas' voting machines are ancient and terrible.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom