• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of features do you want to see?

I'd like to see the Pokémons sprites change as they loose more HP in battle; one one knee, winds folded in, ect, ect

Will someone fill me in on these FM's? I don't wanna look through 15 pages.

Will someone fill me in on these FM's? I don't wanna look through 15 pages.

Fan term only ^.^ it's actually just a couple of posts before yours - look for the red. I was responding to someone else who had used the term to describe moves like Sweet Scent that act only in the field, hence Field Moves or to bring in line with TMs and HMs, Field Machines - FMs *mwah*

No stupid thing where you can customize your character. Its Pokemon, not Animal Crossing, or Runescape, or any other thing. Sheesh, that would be horrible. I think it would take away from the game.

Last edited:
I don't think customizing would take away from the game. Not like completely decking out your character, but I see no harm in changing a few of your clothes, maybe your hairstyle and such. I'd be all for that.

I don't know if it's been said yet, 20 pages is a lot to read. But I've always wanted Pokemon to use their actual cries.. As in the sounds they make in the anime. I know it was only a small handful of Pokemon, but they did this really well in Pokemon Snap. They should have sound clips already for most, if not all, Pokemon already - The cries that are used in "Who's That Pokemon?" wouldn't be hard to use.
I know it would take quite awhile, and probably use up a fair amount of space, but that's something I've always wanted.

Making Cut work like it did in Gold/Silver. You could cut the GRASS! I was so looking forward to seeing this in HGSS, but no.

Having the ability to fly ANYWHERE.

Allowing you to have your ENTIRE LINEUP follow you. (Just IMAGINE!)

Replacing the "Battle Cries" with Pokemon cries from the anime. (Pikachu says "Pikachu" instead of "Pbllbppbpbpbbll")

All of the below deliciously constitutes a total iconoclasm of the metagame.

I would like a revamp of the battle system to include tactical use of field position and movement. The depth of strategy to battles would increase exponentially.

Some implications:
- There would need to be some new stats. A movement stat (corresponding to the new 'move' action) would indicate how far a pokemon could travel in a single turn. The movement stat would fully replenish itself at the end of the turn. Since physical moves would be differentiated by special moves by the fact that they would require movement to gain proximity to the target, an 'energy' stat could be depleted by the use of special moves (which still, of course, use PP). The energy stat would fully replenish itself at the end of the battle.
- Certain moves, such as teleport or double team, would gain new functions in battle that have significantly different tactical use than in previous games. A wealth of completely new moves could be created to manipulate the new parameters.

The above, of course, is not going to happen given the images released. But even if it were just for trainer or gym battles it would be a nice touch.

Customization of move sets. Your pokemon doesn't 'forget' moves, but you have to select the moves you want before a battle, which you can change any time in between battles. Also, a variable number of active moves depending on the individual pokemon. Some pokemon could have more than four active moves, others (say, Ditto or Unown) would have less than four. HM or other field moves wouldn't have to be set for battle to be used on the field, which would make them a lot better. Since this feature would be automatically available, move tutors could be replaced by better NPC-given features.

Dual-type moves. On defense, having dual types overlaps for the purposes of weaknesses and resistances. On offense, dual typing should split the damage evenly. Therefore an electric/ice dual type move would deal 100% of its normal damage to a ground type pokemon (50% of the damage is negated, but 50% of the damage is doubled). Possibly make it so that the typing overlaps for strengths and splits (with priority) for weaknesses. That way a grass/water move would deal 4x damage to a ground type instead of just 2x when the damage is always split.

Tie passive abilities to leveling, and allow pokemon to know more than one ability at a time.

I want a Light/Holy type. No, fighting is not an acceptable substitute no matter how "honorable" it's supposed to be. Fighting is primarily physical, 'kay? My reasons are purely flavor-based, though a re-balancing of the type chart seems in order.

Some other types would be nice, too: sonic, acid, wind, arcane, time...

Actually, it might be best to condense the existing types than increase how many we have (my 12: air, earth, fire, water, wood, metal, fighting, spirit, light, shadow, order and chaos). Old types could be represented by any of the new type combinations (such as order/water for ice and air/chaos for electric). Would also eliminate the pointless and overly narrow types like 'bug,' and redundant types (poison, ghost and dark all fall under shadow). Yes, I'm really stirring the pot now. :devil:

Trainers should reset for a rematch after 24 hours. You just go up to them and talk to them. Simple and reasonable. It could actually be like after 4 hours or something, just so that you can't rack up money too easily.

Difficulty level in the wild should rise to match what you have on your team. Therefore wild pokemon level should be variable to the average level of your lineup. In the beginning areas the level of the wild pokemon might be (average level - 20 [min 0]) + (a random number between 2 and 5). Areas towards the end might be average level + 5.

Night/day, weather and season changes to the environment. However, time should run a little faster. Make 10 minutes = 1 hour. It would take only two months of playing to get through all the seasons.

And finally, of course, the new pokemon should at least try to explore some new design space.

I would like a revamp of the battle system to include tactical use of field position and movement. The depth of strategy to battles would increase exponentially.

Some implications:
- There would need to be some new stats. A movement stat (corresponding to the new 'move' action) would indicate how far a pokemon could travel in a single turn. The movement stat would fully replenish itself at the end of the turn. Since physical moves would be differentiated by special moves by the fact that they would require movement to gain proximity to the target, an 'energy' stat could be depleted by the use of special moves (which still, of course, use PP). The energy stat would fully replenish itself at the end of the battle.
- Certain moves, such as teleport or double team, would gain new functions in battle that have significantly different tactical use than in previous games. A wealth of completely new moves could be created to manipulate the new parameters.
This is not Custom Robo Area. This is Pokemon, a turn-based JRPG.

Customization of move sets. Your pokemon doesn't 'forget' moves, but you have to select the moves you want before a battle, which you can change any time in between battles. Also, a variable number of active moves depending on the individual pokemon. Some pokemon could have more than four active moves, others (say, Ditto or Unown) would have less than four. HM or other field moves wouldn't have to be set for battle to be used on the field, which would make them a lot better. Since this feature would be automatically available, move tutors could be replaced by better NPC-given features. This would make the game way too easy.

I want a Light/Holy type. No, fighting is not an acceptable substitute no matter how "honorable" it's supposed to be. Fighting is primarily physical, 'kay? My reasons are purely flavor-based, though a re-balancing of the type chart seems in order. Agree

Actually, it might be best to condense the existing types than increase how many we have (my 12: air, earth, fire, water, wood, metal, fighting, spirit, light, shadow, order and chaos). Old types could be represented by any of the new type combinations (such as order/water for ice and air/chaos for electric). Would also eliminate the pointless and overly narrow types like 'bug,' and redundant types (poison, ghost and dark all fall under shadow). Yes, I'm really stirring the pot now. No. Just no.

I personally think an overkill of new features (especially new types and character customization) would only repel people from Pokemon rather than inviting new fans over, but that's just me. Some new features are fine, though.

This is not Custom Robo Area. This is Pokemon, a turn-based JRPG.

It would still be turn based. It's just that you could take a turn to alter position, which adds all kinds of strategy (and would be a completely forward-moving game change IMO). Move-sets don't lend themselves well to real-time battle, after all. I guess if by 'turn based' you mean two-dimensional, then you're right.

Regiruler said:
This would make the game way too easy

It's not a game known for its difficulty. ;)

But in any case there are better ways at increasing the difficulty level than limiting move sets.

It's not a game known for its difficulty. ;)

But in any case there are better ways at increasing the difficulty level than limiting move sets.
Try competitive battling...

Now try it with a Salamance that knows 7 moves. If the games were to experience the change you wish them too there would have to be a drastic alteration of the battle mechanics. The difference would be so drastic that it would be nearly impossible for any of the original mechanics to be around. Pokemon is about the typing system and the movesets, in battle. You can change how you use the moves in battle and how they work, but change anything else and the game will become so different, that it will be looked at as more of a spin off than anything.

Try competitive battling...

Now try it with a Salamance that knows 7 moves. If the games were to experience the change you wish them too there would have to be a drastic alteration of the battle mechanics. The difference would be so drastic that it would be nearly impossible for any of the original mechanics to be around. Pokemon is about the typing system and the movesets, in battle. You can change how you use the moves in battle and how they work, but change anything else and the game will become so different, that it will be looked at as more of a spin off than anything.

Try 3D chess...

Obviously giving excess slots to individual pokemon that have diverse move pools would actually be a balance issue, not a mechanical issue.

Personally I think changing up the formula for the battle system would be good for the games. It's remained mostly unchanged over the entire game's history of generations and that gets stale after awhile.

Last edited:
I want the Contests to be spread out like they were in RS. When they're all in one building they just feel like an afterthought.

As someone mentioned before, I'd like to be able to manually fly like in Ranger 3. This can be done by when using fly, you can select a town as your target, and you can manually fly the route. However, you can only fly to towns/routes you have already been to before. This would be pretty cool, as they could also make parts of routes only accessible by flying over them, and landing on them.

Of course, one disadvantage of flying in the manual way over the automatic, is the wild encounter rate.

We're Pokemon trainers, not dress up dolls. "Ohh! This hairstyle will look wicked with this shirt aggleaggleaggle" Pf, no thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom