• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What starter did you pick and why?

Zell

The man, The myth..
Reaction score
I picked Tepig, since I usually pick the fire type starters and it was a female which was very nice :)

What starter did you pick?

I presume we're talking Generation V here?

Well i usually play a game starting with each starter, then decide on one for my official proper game.

But i still can't decide between Oshawatt and Tepig

Snivy. I thought Snivy looked the best out of all the Gen V starters and the anime contributed to that factor. I find Serperior an extremely bad pokemon but then again I don't play pokemon very seriously with stuff like natures and stats etcetera.

For Black, I chose Oshawott. I thought that it was cute, I liked the designs for its evolution, and I wanted to start out with a Water type in the first of the two new games for a change of pace. I would usually choose the Fire type starter in the first out of the two new games and a Water starter for the other, except for G/S and HG/SS where it was reversed. For White, I chose Snivy. I really liked its design and since I was so impressed with Turtwig in Platinum, I didn't want to wait until the third version, as I assumed that was going to happen at the time, to try Snivy out. I also wasn't too interested in raising another Fire/Fighting type starter again and there were a few other Fire types I was interested in raising. Serperior wasn't nearly as impressive as I hoped it would be, but I still enjoyed raising my Snivy. Samurott was more useful in my Black team, even without having a good movepool to choose from, and it does usually put up more of a fight than Serperior does with most of its opponents.

I picked Oshawott because I had never picked the Water type starter before (apart from when I briefly used Totodile in Gold before restarting) and I loved Oshawott, so cute, and he was awesome early on in the BW series. Tepig was my 2nd choice, but didn't really want to have another Fire Fighting (already got my awesome Infernape) and Serperior just had a rubbish movepool, and I already had 3 grass starters.

In Black2 however, I will be picking Tepig most likely, because I already have a powerful Samurott, and don't need another.

I picked Snivy. I thought the design was cute and the evolutions very neat-looking (although to be fair he doesn't get much to do as a Serperior...). I also wanted to rotate through the types of starters, so having done water and then fire already, it was the turn of the grass-type. Not sure if I want to keep that up for Black 2, although both the Oshawott and Tepig my brother traded me are doing well. Plus Oshawott/Dewott is just cute... ;)

Well, from previous generations I've picked Charmander, Cyndaquil, Sceptile, and Empoleon.

In Black I chose Tepig. Emboar was quite awesome. However, I started another 2 new games, to try out the other 2 starters. Snivy was pretty hard to raise, but it was worth it. It fits my style a bit more, similar to how Sceptile did. Samurott was a very worthy starter too, with good, balanced stats. Megahorn also paved way for me to win the League, both story and post-game. So for me, I'm still deciding between Snivy and Oshawott.

I picked Oshawott, I really like its evolutions and it's adorable. Plus, it's strong against most of the gym leaders in Unova.

I always pick the water starter, but get the other two either from my copy of the other version or friends.

I picked Tepig in White, solely because I have always picked the fire starter. It's tradition. I'm not a competitive player, as much as I would like to be, because I do not have enough time for it. If I was I would've given this more thought, but until then, I'll always be choosing the fire starter by default. Anyway, I think Tepig's adorable. :3

*snorts* "Tepig!"

I think I'll be breaking this tradition in White2, though. I've really been eyeing Snivy for a while now. I think his design is amazing. Besides, I curious as to how raising other sorts of starters are like.

Well for the old gens i chose Charmander Totodile Mudkip and Turtwig but for gen 5 i chose Tepig just because i always think he looks cool and even better it was a Male so that was good for me

I chose Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup and Oshawott. I always choose the Water-types. When I get the chance to choose a second starter (like when Oak gives you a Kanto starter after defeating Red) I always choose the Fire type. I never choose the Grass types because I think they all suck (well, Sceptile and Torterra are decent, I guess).

Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Piplup

In Black I started with Oshawott, because it was cool, and I refused to train another fire/fighting starter. I also never choose grass type starters, as I don't feel they have a great movepool, and they aren't as strong later on in the game. For White2 I'm either going to give in an start with Tepig or trade over a Cyndaquil or Deino.

I generally make it a point to pick the starter that's got the fewest advantages against the gyms, or at the very least has the worst time against the earliest gyms.

That means Charmander for Kanto, Chikorita for Johto (the deck is stacked WAY against Chikorita in this one, with all but 2 gyms having a significant advantage over it), Torchic for Hoenn (who get fighting to deal with the first gym but then develops weaknesses to the notable psychic and flying types faced later in the game), Chimchar for Sinnoh (gym leader order doesn't give any one of them a clear shafting, but the last 3 of the elite four have it in for infernape), and Snivy for Unova (whereas nearly all the gyms had a fatal weakness to moves that roggenrola's line learns, making starter choice nearly irrelevant; for that matter all 3 of the tao trio are weak to rock or ground moves). I suspect I'll go with a snivy-with-boldore/gigalith-doing-the-work team again this time, given the chance. It should hold its own well against Homika, even better than it did against Brycen. (I'll trade if I have to!)

I chose oshawott cuz tepig and its evolutions looked extremely stupid. Snivy looked stuck up and annoying. Oshawott reminded me of piplup. But i would kill for a shiny charizard!

Before B/W, I would always start with the water starters first because of cutest designs, embody my favorite element, and the fact the water types are extremely versatile in battle(really, water is up there with steel and dragon as the strongest types to use). When I want to use one of the other starters, I get a different version to train them in(for example, I started with Mudkip in Emerald and Torchic when I got Sapphire later).

Right now I started with Snivy in Black; it's the first time I've ever used the grass starter(unless you count Yellow), but Serperior is too awesome of a final evolution to pass up(even more than Typhloshion, Blaziken, and Infernape).

I had started with Oshawott in White because it is the cutest water starter(I didn't think I would ever like one more than Squirtle), but now that I've found out B2/W2 is coming out in the fall instead of spring; I'm going to try to get it with some Christmas cash and train it there instead. I've already named mine after Cye from Ronin Warriors(and he even has the armor of Torrent).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom