• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the worst new Pokemon for you performance wise?

Purrloin and Liepard. That line is just terrible. There's absolutely no saving grace; yes, it has high Speed, but it has no good way to use that Speed.

Oh, dude, you missed out on an opportunity to pack a real powerhouse on your team. Simisage's Seed Bomb is unreal.

With a mustache.

Seriously. Even as a Pansage, once it got Seed Bomb, it became an invaluable team mate. Helps that it learns a crapload of good TMs too.

I think I will have to say the good as well as the bad ones. For me, since I have completed the main story, I would have to say the most difficult one to keep on in your team would have to be, for me, Oshawott. I got mine in a trade and have been leveling the thing up like crazy. Right now it's a Samurott, but even its cool design isn't saving it from my dissapointment.

It's not because it doesn't learn any good moves, it's just that it's attack/sp. attack are WAY too low for my liking. I have been training in the Big and Little fields (post E4) and my Samurott CANNOT make any dents in some of the pokemon. Now it's level 59, and the average Pokemon there is 64, but it still can't take them out like I thought it would. The problem is probably that it has a Jolly nature, but it doesn't even have any special moves, its attack is just too LOW!!

My freakin Cottonee did better than it when I was leveling it up! D: *Calms down from the Samurott rant*

Another bad'n would have to be Sawk (wasn't that helpful in my opinion, would rather just get a Timburr)

Anyway, I would have to say the best ones are my:
Musharna-Psychic, Shadow Ball, Hypnosis, Dream Eater + being able to take hits, this thing is GREAT
Emboar-mines got an awesome attack and sp attack that let's it take out anyting, Flamethrower, Brick Break, Wild Bolt, and Heat Crash is an awesome moveset for my Emboar
Sawsbuck-You don't even have to hold back evolution for Deerling to get great moves, Horn Leech is like the best move in existance!
Gigalith-an Adamant Gigalith is like the most powerfull thing on my time
and finally (Female) Frillish/Jellicent-that thing is like the best tank ever, it can take so many hits, and then throw them right back, Cursed Body helps too as any super effective moves will be shut down if you survive.

I think I will have to say the good as well as the bad ones. For me, since I have completed the main story, I would have to say the most difficult one to keep on in your team would have to be, for me, Oshawott. I got mine in a trade and have been leveling the thing up like crazy. Right now it's a Samurott, but even its cool design isn't saving it from my dissapointment.

It's not because it doesn't learn any good moves, it's just that it's attack/sp. attack are WAY too low for my liking. I have been training in the Big and Little fields (post E4) and my Samurott CANNOT make any dents in some of the pokemon. Now it's level 59, and the average Pokemon there is 64, but it still can't take them out like I thought it would. The problem is probably that it has a Jolly nature, but it doesn't even have any special moves, its attack is just too LOW!!

My freakin Cottonee did better than it when I was leveling it up! D: *Calms down from the Samurott rant*
How strange. Samurott is not exactly a Death Star, but learns a lot of nice moves. Megahorn, Surf, Revenge, Ice Beam, Razor Shell, Aqua Tail, Grass Knot, Dig, X-Scissor, Scald, Waterfall, Dive...

Seems alot of you are having problems with Blitzle and the Monkeys. My friend uses all the Monkeys on his team and they seem fine to me. Simipour especially seems to be really good. Blitzle I'm using now. It could never take a hit, but once it evolved it does alot better. Only thing is my Zebstrikka is Modest, which is cool for boosted Thunderbolts or w/e, but it seems his attack is better than his Special attack. Even with a Modest nature his Attack is higher than his Special. I don't care all that much as its a in game team pokemon but if I where to EV train one I'd go with Attack over Special.

As for my choices...
Venipede and Whirlipede are pretty weak. Scolipede is great though. I used one in White up until I got to Mistraltion cave and got my Axew. Speaking of which Axew and Fracture can't take a hit either. It seems they made all these powerhouses that can't take a hit until they are fully evolved or are powerful but hindered in someway (Darumaka). Tynamo is another example.
I haven't given Pidove or Purrloin a fair chance, but from what I have seen so far I'll probably be disappointed.
Swoobat didn't really live up to my expectations either. I was planning to use it until I got my 8th badge and then swap for Braviary, but I dropped it way before that. It has potential at least.
I used a Beheeyem I caught in a "Freshly caught" battle with a friend and it died in one hit. I'd like to give it a better chance before judging it though.
Overall I think the Unova region has a lot less "useless" pokemon than previous gens did.

Thanks.

Awww..that's really disappointing to hear about Panpour..I guess I will ditch it soon. I'm thinking about adding either Frillish or that fossil Turtle to my team. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Frillish for that cool dual type it's got.
Frillish gets Energy Ball, which is a Ghost-thing I guess, and, like most Water types, also gets Ice Beam. Generally, I'd say it has good coverage.

That turtle, Tirtouga/Carracosta, is pretty interesting. Shell Smash is eyecatching, and, notably, Carracosta has a decent Attack stat (especially after a +2/2 boost [or x2 multiplier, essentially]) and a physical movepool (Earthquake/Rock Slide/Aqua Tail/Return) with all-around neutral+ coverage. (Carracosta's speed falls a bit short from using Shell Smash too viably in competitive play though. There's also no reason you can't have a mixed Shell-sweeper, and there's also no reason you can't have something other than a Shell-sweeper.)

Frillish/Jellicent would be the more practical choice (with Recover & Night Shade, Jellicent really doesn't even need offensive stats or investment; Water Absorb also gives you an alternative way of healing).
Golurk does have high offense (124 base attack). He has average bulk, but really slow. His iron fist ability makes Shadow Punch worth using as an STAB (somewhat). He is too slow though.
Hammer Arm gets the Iron Fist boost also. (Focus Punch gets the boost, but that requires Sub useage or other trickery.) Being slow, Golurk doesn't mind the drop. That move and Shadow Punch already give Golurk round coverage, just about.

With Curse, Protect, and Fly, Golurk can also stall in good time, doing so reliably on the opponent's last pokemon.

Adamant would probably be better than Jolly--I wouldn't try to outrun anything with Samurott really.

I generally think Razor Shell is the way to go with Samurott. This should be paired with 1 or 2 other physical moves & either Swords Dance or, if you want versatility, 1 or 2 special moves (one of Grass Knot or Ice Beam). Mystic Water (or Splash Plate)/Razor Shell/Aqua Jet gives Samurott a 135 power "cutting" move and a 72 power priority move. When Razor Shell works, it works.

I'd probably go -Speed with Samurott anyhow, unless I planned on packing no special moves. The other stats seem too useful.

Last edited:
I generally think Razor Shell is the way to go with Samurott. This should be paired with 1 or 2 other physical moves & either Swords Dance or, if you want versatility, 1 or 2 special moves (one of Grass Knot or Ice Beam). Mystic Water (or Splash Plate)/Razor Shell/Aqua Jet gives Samurott a 135 power "cutting" move and a 72 power priority move. When Razor Shell works, it works.

I'd probably go -Speed with Samurott anyhow, unless I planned on packing no special moves. The other stats seem too useful.

Thanks for the advice! :D I feel like it's kind of a waste for me to give up on this Samurott as it's already level 57, but I might try to breed an Adamant one. Although many people say that Samurott is a great pokemon, which I don't disagree with, but the one that I got must be a little defective or something.

Oh, another bad performance-wise poke would have to be Shelmet/Karrablast. Of course these pokemon are best evolved, but if you just tried to raise them by themsleves, it can get pretty tough.

HOWEVER....there evos are AMAZING!! Accelgor and Escavalier are some of the most amazing bug types in Pokémon. I recomend getting one or the other, (or both) ASAP!

Blitzle/Zebstrika really let me down. I mean, sure it has nice speed and attacking stats, but its movepool is pretty bland.

There's also the fact that it dies if anything so much as breathes on it. After a certain point, I only kept it around to gain Zebstrika's 'dex data and I immediately dumped it into the PC as soon as it evolved. Sad, really.

I boxed away my Pansage for now, I'm rotating my team. My Pansage is a good Pokemon, it's speed and attacks aren't really doing it for me. It's hard to train and level up, and it hasn't learned any nice moves in my opinion. Seed Bomb is ok, but when it's at this level and using Fury Swipes as a main attack. I'm not sure I wanna rely on it, as much as before.

Purrloin definitely. I thought it'd be pretty awesome, but it's so incredibly weak. Also Panpour/Simipour after the awesomeness of Scald wore off.

Purrloin and Blitzle. I adore them, and I'd been waiting for a leopard and zebra Pokemon so long. They're not APPALLING, at least in my opinion, after all I only play ingame so I can make due, but I do wish they were a bit better. I still use them however. But I hate to see all the flak they get as well.
I was really hoping a leopard Pokemon would be powerful, considering how much I love Liepard's design.

Seconded or more with Blitzle. Cue screams of "DENNIS!!" (I like GCPM11 too) toward the sky just because something touched it and made it fall over on itself (though in my case she was a Denise). Its movepool was okay, I guess. But it couldn't take a punch.

Wow, I'm amazed with everyone saying Blitzle/Zebstrika. Zebstrika is on my main team! Anyway, Sentret tend to do pretty badly with me XP

Pidove line was a little disappointing. Wish it'd gotten Drill Peck or Brave Bird.

I'm gonna have to go with Zebstrika on this one. He's got decent Atk and Spatk, but he's a glass cannon whose power doesn't make up for its poor defenses.

List of all bad pokes:
1)Liepard = no need to explain here
2)unfezant = POor movepool
3)zebstrika = shallow movepool
4)swoobat = horrible stats and looks ugly as well
5)watchog = poor stats

There are more but these guys take the cake.. unfortunately, team building in unova is very difficult early on..

I was disappointed with Liepard and Zebstrika. Liepard has a poor movepool and Zebstrika has bad stats, in my opinion. :/ They were on my team until I switched them out.

Audino. I battled with it, and it's attacks did barely any damage, and it fainted after like, 2 turns.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom