• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your most hated ability/What ability do you think is the most useless?

I kick myself when i am versing Shedninja and my Fire Pokemon is dead\not with me. lol

I think Illusion is pretty useless. It doesn't really do anything but makes your Zorua/Zoroark look like another Pokemon. But they have no different traits.

Run Away is pointless.

Sturdy is truly annoying, I keep forgetting and I yell out when Boldore has one HP left after Simipour used Surf. DX

EDIT: Slow Start? WTF?!?!?!?!?!

I hate water absorb with a burning passion since I started with an oshawott and just maxed him. I only trained him so when I got to the elite four I had a lvl 75 Samurott (I worked real well)but when ever I encountered a train with a water absorb frillfish or jellicent I almost lost and had to use like 10 revives. I think unnerve is pretty useless since I don't use berries in game only against real people.

Only training one pokemon is one thing but did you really only give him water attacks? That would have been a horrible idea even without water absorb. :/

On that note: the abilities like water absorb on things that are resistant to that type. Who (besides Immaculate apparently) is going to throw water at a water/ghost or a pure water type? Or electricity at a pure electric type? The only way that I can think of that working is if they have follow me and it's a double or triple battle in which the other pokemon are weak to that type.

Hustle, since I hate it when attacks don't connect, Static and its variations, including Effect Spore, since I'm usually affected by them, and Arena Trap/Shadow Tag, as well as Sturdy's Focus Sash-like effect if it's the foe that has it, are my most hated abilities.

Run Away/Honey Gather are the abilities I consider the most useless, since they're not very useful or practical.

For Run Away, you can just use a 100% successful flee item. It really only helps you in the field, and is useless in battle. As for Honey Gather, the better alternative is to use Pickup for Nuggets to sell them and buy Honey.

Last edited:
Now that sturdy has the same effect as a focus sash, my most hated ability is definititely Sturdy. How can a level 15 Roggenrola survive a Surf from my level 100 Blastoise? Seriously. >_>

Now that sturdy has the same effect as a focus sash, my most hated ability is definititely Sturdy. How can a level 15 Roggenrola survive a Surf from my level 100 Blastoise? Seriously. >_>

Well, sometimes it's good if you want to catch one, but it is annoying in a battle. Even worse if it's your Pokemon with Sturdy, and the opponent uses a multi-hit move.

Oh, wow. DEFINITELY sturdy. I hate battling someone and when the opponent has sturdy; I would have taken them out in one clean hit but they hang on and then, HELLO FULL RESTORE. Over and over.

Shadow Tag is annoying too, but mostly on Wobbuffet. Because Wobuffet.

People complain about Truant and Defeatist, because they LIKE having overpowered pokemon. I think that all abilities have uses, with a select few. Sturdy kicks ass now, definately needed that powerup!

Klutz. Good heavens, Klutz. What the slag is the point of that so-called "Ability"?! It is completely useless and really annoying. And why oh why did Golett and Golurk have to be stuck with that as an Ability? Iron Fist makes sense, but Klutz... :banghead:

Run Away isn't so bad. I like being able to escape a pointless wild battle. That's pretty handy in my eyes.

A: anything that hinders the pokemon or lowers a stat(i.e. Slow start, Hustle)
B: Levitate, it's annoying how you can never tell what pokemon has it (though it's actually a pretty good ability)
C: weather changing abilities. They just annoy me

I also hate how really good abilities for pokemon only seem to be able to be gotten in the dream world (Peversity, anyone?)

I don't like static or the ones that give your pokemon status problems

Unnerve...

Stops your opponent from using their Berry...

Why, for the love of Arceus, would you want this ability on your Galvantula over Compound Eyes?

Answer: You wouldn't....

x[

Drought.
When was the last time you saw somone use a hippopotas because they liked the pokemon? no, the majority of people use it because they want sandstorm. that's why it's in the OU tier, not because it's good, but because it can make it storm. and i realy hate seeing my favorite pokemon reduced to a utility.

also, sturdy, just because it's fucking annoying, because EVERY boledore has it.

Sturdy is easily the most annoying ability I know.. It's so distressing that my pokémon of at least 30 levels higher can't OHKO a stupid Boldore xD
And I see absolutely no point in Defeatist whatsoever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm struggling in a battle I don't really want to be weakened even further D:

Drought.
When was the last time you saw somone use a hippopotas because they liked the pokemon? no, the majority of people use it because they want sandstorm. that's why it's in the OU tier, not because it's good, but because it can make it storm. and i realy hate seeing my favorite pokemon reduced to a utility.

The ability is not Drought. Drought is Groudon's special ability and creates the "Sunny Day" weather condition. I believe Sand-Stream is the ability you are talking about

The ability is not Drought. Drought is Groudon's special ability and creates the "Sunny Day" weather condition. I believe Sand-Stream is the ability you are talking about

no, ninetales got Drought as a DW ability, now she's just a Sunny Day utility pokemon, LIKE hipopotas.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom