• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who is your favourite rival?

Little Miss Eevee

OPPAN GARY STYLE!
Reaction score
Well, I really want to see who your favourite rival is, and why.

I personally like Gary, as he seemed to get quite a bit of characrer development. But I also like Ritchie, as he is one of Ash's only rivals that isn't completely neurotic, a huge arogant jerk, or both. For me, It's a tie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant really say paul then, knowing i would be condoning abuse to pokemon, so barry :)

Gary. Morrison and Harrison are tied for 2nd place.

Even though Gary is my favorite, I wish he appeared more. He was the right amount of cocky and arrogant, and I just loved how he taunted Ash. It's just a shame that he didn't have that many appearances throughout the entire original series.

As for comic relief rivals, Barry is probably my favorite, even though he was a complete joke when it came to battling (having only one on-screen win for one thing.)

Bianca for the win!

She has th best personality of all of them and has strength to back it up. If she replaced roles with iris the show would be 100x better

Last edited:
This is choosing between entities (in this case characters) so I've moved it to the GF where it belongs. Reasons for choices need to be given.

Trip, Paul, Stephan

*looks at above post*

And the reason is because I do.

bianca for being energetic, great chalanger and very VERY funny (ginda like barry but female)

Bianca and Barry are both funny and great, and Gary is a cool rival. But I choose Paul, not because he abuses Pokemon, but because he was an extreme threat. If Bianca, Barry, or Gary appeared a bit more often, I would have voted for one of them.

Character wise I would say Gary, but as an actual rival...probably Paul.

Trip!!!!!

Nah just kidding.

Paul definitely. He was like the complete opposite of Ash. He was mean, he trained his pokemon harshly, he only worked with the strongest, he was unsympathetic, and above all he was fucking good. His teams were littered with powerhouses. He trained his pokes the way a player does in the games (people don't usually develop emotional bonds with members on their game teams). Him and Ash also had the connection with Infernape, which would ultimately be Paul's undoing in the rivalry. Their pokemon also had rivalry's, like Infernape/ Electivire, Infernape/ Ursaring, Grotle/ Honchkrow. And Paul had his flaws, which were highlighted in his battle with Brandon. There was so much tension between Him and Ash, and it lead to in my opinion the best battle of the Anime's history. I really hope he reappears at some point, id like to see what he's been up to since he left, and to find out weather he ended up beating Brandon in the end.

Paul is going to be hard to top. And they failed big time with Trip

Paul had the best character arc, leading to a well-deserved karmic defeat that forced him to admit that he was wrong. Gary Motherf**king Oak is a close second.

Generally I like Trip, Bianca, Stephan, Georgia, Burgundy, Luke, Montgomery, Kotetsu, and Virgil. But personally I love Trip.

Garry is deffinatly my favourite rival (for many reasons not just nostalgia) closely follower by paul because he was very interesting and he didn't even see himself as Ash's rival at first (to him Ash was just an annoyance) eventually Paul gained respect for Ash and realised that there is no "RIGHT" training method after seeing what Ash did with chimchar and blaze. But Garry is my favourite character in the pokemon anime as a whole so I would still have to go with him.

Paul was the best, hands down. He was the complete opposite of Ash, plus his team was pretty badass. Best of all, he and Ash had the best rival battle in the series so far, which pretty much made Ash's battle with Gary look like those cute Tackle fights you have in the beginning of each Pokemon game ever, lol.

Harisson, from the Johto League.

He looked badass (really liked that he used lots of Fire/Fighting/Dark types, heck he has a HOUNDOOM for a pet!) without having to be a total jerk (like Gary, Paul, Trip). He had nice interactions with Ash and Gary. Plus. his full battle with Ash was quite great.

Similarly, I could say Tyson from Hoenn, but his 2 Grass-types plus unevolved Meowth don't make up for it. Let alone his 6v6 with Ash wasn't good at all. So, I vote Harisson.

Back
Top Bottom