• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will they tone down the difficulty to match XY?

Changing this kind of things on the fly would be kinda messy programming wise, could be done sure, but it's much better and cleaner to change it before resuming a game. I can go into more detail if you want to, but that would have to wait until I'm at my PC. Suffice to say it shouldn't be a problem, apart from time spent/wasted.

Changing this kind of things on the fly would be kinda messy programming wise, could be done sure, but it's much better and cleaner to change it before resuming a game. I can go into more detail if you want to, but that would have to wait until I'm at my PC. Suffice to say it shouldn't be a problem, apart from time spent/wasted.

So change it before resuming a game and save yourself the hassle, just as they did with the Easy and Challenge Mode Keys (except have it from the start without the convoluted Key system). It's still closer to what the original poster proposed than it is to having to restart your whole game as Team Gaara proposed.

Although I am disappointed that screenshots are showing Hoenn nerfed already, are early-game trainers really a good indicator of the game's overall difficulty? I think not!

Plus, I think I just came up with a solution to the EXP. Share problem! Basically, you have to manually select a Pokémon you want to use the EXP. Share on, and the amount of Pokémon you can have the EXP. Share used on at a time will be dependent on the number of Badges. It could go something like this:

• 1 Badge -> One Pokémon at a time
  • 2 Badges -> Two Pokémon at a time
  • 3 Badges -> Three Pokémon at a time
  • 4-5 Badges -> Four Pokémon at a time
  • 6-7 Badges -> Five Pokémon at a time
  • 8 Badges -> Six Pokémon at a time

At the beginning of the post-game, Prof. Birch will upgrade your EXP. Share to work exactly like it did in XY, with it automatically leveling up your entire party without having to select each on manually! How that for a solution?

Although I am disappointed that screenshots are showing Hoenn nerfed already, are early-game trainers really a good indicator of the game's overall difficulty? I think not!

Plus, I think I just came up with a solution to the EXP. Share problem! Basically, you have to manually select a Pokémon you want to use the EXP. Share on, and the amount of Pokémon you can have the EXP. Share used on at a time will be dependent on the number of Badges. It could go something like this:

At the beginning of the post-game, Prof. Birch will upgrade your EXP. Share to work exactly like it did in XY, with it automatically leveling up your entire party without having to select each on manually! How that for a solution?
So the EXP. Share is fully upgraded after the 6th badge (because the fighting Pokemon isn't affected by the item, so five Pokemon being affected would mean the entire party), only with an entirely pointless inconvenience added, and as a reward for beating the Pokemon League, the pointless inconvenience goes away? On second thought, manually selecting what Pokemon get the EXP does have its perks...if you look at it that way, then having that option removed is a pointless inconvenience. Either way you look at it, there's some stupid inconvenience added that adds nothing beneficial to the game. What's the logic in that?

Also, that barely helps with the problem. After getting three badges the item would affect more than half of your party, which would still result in being overleveled with it on all the time.

What would the difficulty be? I'd think the main issue would just be implementing each boss battle three times for items, movesets etc.

What would the difficulty be? I'd think the main issue would just be implementing each boss battle three times for items, movesets etc.

It wouldn't be just boss battles, it would be every trainer in the game. Granted, most of those trainers might not have any items or changed movesets, but the levels would be the main issue.

It wouldn't be just boss battles, it would be every trainer in the game. Granted, most of those trainers might not have any items or changed movesets, but the levels would be the main issue.

Wouldn't that just be an algorithm of some kind? Say, bump the trainer's pokemon up by 1 if levels 6-30, by 2 if levels 31-50 etc.

Bumping up the levels wouldn't really do much to make it more challenging, they'd have to add Pokemon and change movesets.

At least couldn't we take the opportunity to actually have TM, Egg, and past-game Tutor moves for the gym leaders - at least on a more extensive level? I don't really mind the regular trainers not being difficult, but major opponents could do a bit of shake-up with actually good movepools and good combination with whatever ability the pokemon have. Just as a throwaway: By the fourth/fifth gym, we could have at least one Pokémon with entirely TM moves specifically for countering threats. By the time you get to the seventh gym, there could be at least one Pokémon with a hidden ability. By the time you get to the eighth gym, most Pokémon will have moves that better reflect PvP battling, and none will rely soley on level-up moves. By the time you start battling the Elite 4, you could have opponents who Mega-Evolve their Pokémon.

If we actually have good opponents who make intelligent decisions, then it shouldn't matter as much in whether the Exp Share from XY is kept in or not - if anything, I'd hate that Exp Share Turbo-plus-ultra-Mk 2-whatever to be ditched entirely from the game. Veterans can play as normally and won't worry much about overlevelling - because by this boss programming the bosses will still be substantial threats even if they are 5 levels under. Newer players can spend a bit of extra time (with far less trouble than previous generations), and easily level grind for another 5-10 levels.

So the EXP. Share is fully upgraded after the 6th badge (because the fighting Pokemon isn't affected by the item, so five Pokemon being affected would mean the entire party), only with an entirely pointless inconvenience added, and as a reward for beating the Pokemon League, the pointless inconvenience goes away? On second thought, manually selecting what Pokemon get the EXP does have its perks...if you look at it that way, then having that option removed is a pointless inconvenience. Either way you look at it, there's some stupid inconvenience added that adds nothing beneficial to the game. What's the logic in that?

Also, that barely helps with the problem. After getting three badges the item would affect more than half of your party, which would still result in being overleveled with it on all the time.

Oh. Well, when you put it that way, it does sound pretty inconvenient not matter how you look at it... And yet, that might end up being the best thing we can hope for, seeing as GF is starting to underestimate how well kids can handle video game difficulty.

Thanks for the criticism! :)

I don't think removing a Pokemon here and there and lowering a level or two is too major.

Talk to me when all the gym leaders only have 3 Pokemon.

I don't see them getting rid of the current exp share but I doubt they'll do anything drastic to the game's difficulty anyway. If they want it to be easy for new players and hard for old then they'll probably just add a challenge mode.

I can agree that the difficulty is way easier than that of Diamond's. After I lost my original Y, I bought a new one and finished it within 3 days, unlike my first playthrough, which took a week. Now I am trying to find all of the different items you can get in X and Y. I am doing this with the help with GameFaqs, and it would be pretty ridiculous for me not to do it with help.

A couple of pages back, some peeps suggested that the game may be toned down a bit since some of the early trainers appear to have been nerfed a bit. So I decided to look at Roxanne's Gym in ORAS and compare it to RSE (which I don't think anybody did yet, but sorry if it was already mentioned).

In Ruby and Sapphire, there are only two other gym trainers besides Roxanne~
Rustboro_Gym_RS.png

In Emerald, there are three.
Rustboro_Gym_E.png

As of the current screenshot on the Official Site, it appears the Gym will once again have three gym trainers besides Roxanne.
p40_02_yfu.jpg

I'm not sure what this could mean in terms of difficulty since we can't see the number of Pokemon or levels each trainer uses (In RS, one trainer has a single Geodude while the other has three, and in Emerald, two trainers have two Geodude, while the last has one). It also doesn't really answer if it's been "toned down to XY levels" as the Santalune Gym also had three trainers (two using one Pokemon, while the third used two).

At the very least, it looks like, in comparison to the original Ruby and Sapphire, the first Gym could be a bit tougher, or just more like Emerald's, giving me minor hope for later Gyms and the overall challenge level of the games. I'd like to jump to the conclusion that they may decide to use the Emerald teams due to the Gym seeming to be more similar to Emerald's than RS's.

they wouldn't make the post game (battle frontier?) easier would they? >.> well the PWT wasn't easy but i'm talking OR/AS here not B2/W2

Wouldn't make much sense to. Post-game battle locations have never been easy and it makes even less sense to make it easier considering it is the post-game. If the Frontier returns, unless they change something about a facility, it will probably still maintain difficulty.

If they're including stuff from Emerald, I hope they bring back Emerald-gym difficulty. Winona had 5 pokemons on her team - and she was the 6th gym leader.

If they're including stuff from Emerald, I hope they bring back Emerald-gym difficulty. Winona had 5 pokemons on her team - and she was the 6th gym leader.
The number of pokemon a gym leader has doesn't mean difficulty if half of the pokemon the Gym Leader has are mediocre or average at best. Ok, i'm with the people that don't want what happened in XY to happen again (the last three Gym Leaders having only three pokemon) but if i have to choose between 4 strong pokemon or 5 pokemon which some of them are mediocre (Norman using a freaking Spinda and a Linoone and Winona with a Swablu) i'm going to choose 4 strong pokemon.

Talking about Winona i actualy want a mesh between her R/S team and Emerald team: Swellow, Altaria, Tropius, Skarmory and Pelliper.

Last edited:
Pokemon has never been challenging if you just get the best pokemon you can, and play smart. It's not too hard to snag a perfect time. Removing the EXp share is just a terrible idea. Grinding is never fun, and some of us like to have several level one hundreds. What they should do is first off, make the elite four get better up to five times. By the fifth rematch, they are all perfectly six teams, EV-spread, Competitive items, level 100, have a mega evolution, and have smart AI.

I think that personally would be a great addition, because the Elite four in X and Y really only seems to be for level grinding, and not a threat.

The number of pokemon a gym leader has doesn't mean difficulty if half of the pokemon the Gym Leader has are mediocre or average at best. Ok, i'm with the people that don't want what happened in XY to happen again (the last three Gym Leaders having only three pokemon) but if i have to choose between 4 strong pokemon or 5 pokemon which some of them are mediocre (Norman using a freaking Spinda and a Linoone and Winona with a Swablu) i'm going to choose 4 strong pokemon.

Talking about Winona i actualy want a mesh between her R/S team and Emerald team: Swellow, Altaria, Tropius, Skarmory and Pelliper.

That would be nice. But I'd really not want ORAS to have the 6th and 8th gym leader to have only 3 pokemons when they have a variety of choices (Tate and Liza are an exception since they play by different rules)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom