• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Country as a Pokemon Region

Around the centre of the region, you'd find a lot of poison-types and dark-types.

Hey, hey, more like Steel-types than Poison-types. It's the Black Country because of industry ;)

Seriously, I would hope like hell that a hypothetical English region would adapt things from the character of each county and not just be one big "Doctor-Who-in-Downton-Abbey-by-quaint-old-London-Town" thing.

Yes, well, living in Virginia in the United States, I see the Commonwealth as a wonderful potential region. I can't say I have much to note on the wildlife/Pokèmon, but we have a grand variety of environments here. The Shenandoah Valley can provide a rural zone, a large forest, and even some caves and caverns. Northern Virginia has potential for a large urban district. Richmond, down south, could provide the Castelia/Lumiose/Mauville, and it has a rich history to boot. As a matter of fact, the whole Commonwealth has a long history Game Freak could look into. As the motto says, "Virginia is for history lovers". Plus, the Eastern Shore and our bay could provide the obligatory surf area...

California here and we would definitely have more than just surfing Pokemon from Southern California.

- We would probably have a desert based region (See the Mojave on I-10 and I-15).

- San Diego and Los Angeles would be sprawling cities with lots of Pokemon contests, water Pokemon, and lots of entertainment industry. Don't forget about the military presence there. They would probably be the largest city in the Pokemon region based off California, both by population and land area.

- San Francisco Bay Area is known for their mountains and being the high-tech capital of the world with lots of manufacturing. Probably lots of electric and steel Pokemon. Still be a large city, though not as big as the previous statement. Probably where the Poke Ball and Pokedex are designed.

- There is Central Valley california, where most of the world's produce is grown. Would probably be acres and acres of berries being grown. Expect lots of grass and ground type.

- There are the Sierra Nevada home to Yosemite National Park, King Canyon and Sequoia National Park. Probably a wilderness area with lots of mountains, snow and forests. Yes, there it does snow in California.

- As I mentioned earlier, lots of water Pokemon off the California coast. Cliffs and beach are on the California Coastline.

- The far North California (aka Jefferson) would be lots of forest, mountains and lots of outpost towns.

Holy hell, plenty of diversity in just the State of California.

Hmm. Iowa. Iowa. Well... It be a really plain flat, heavy base on agriculture. Probably pretty plain.

This is interesting. A region based off of Michigan (where I live). Probably be a lot of small towns and such, with lots of mountains and lakes along the way, perhaps. The weather would be wild, that's for sure. xD. Have to have Pokemon that could adapt to a drastic change in climate.

I live in the Pacific Northwest (USA) - I tend to travel a lot between Washington and Oregon.

If the seasons did return back in the games (like in BW, B2W2) then autumn and winter would be rainy a lot, snow some places in winter - hot summer - certain Pokemon could appear more in certain seasons

Terrain itself: it could have 2 major cities (to represent Seattle metro area and the Portland metro area) lots of smaller towns a long the way, western part of the states have lots of forests, mountain ranges in the middle (the Cascades - we even have an active volcano that has calmed down a bit, St. Helens - also have Mt. Raininer and Mt. Hood) more the eastern part is mostly plains - similar to Kalos - Pokedex could have Eastern and Western dex - so the Pacific Northwest would be an awesome area for a Pokemon game

I know that the water starter would be based on a beaver, water/ground typing

Local cat would probably be based on a cougar - unevolved form based on a cougar cub - normal/dark typing

Electric rodent based on squirrels - electric/ground

the Early Normal Type could be based on raccoons (there's tons of them here)

Regional bird be based on crows or pigeons, we do have lots of them here. Flying/Dark

The two-stage fighting type could be based on weasels or otters, quite a lot of them in the Pacific Northwest - fighting/ground typing

Water types based on orcas - water/dark

Last edited:
France... Well...

neutral-poker-face-no-text.png

SPAIN...
well, it would have different areas of mountain, coast, central area... many possibilities!

Seriously, I would hope like hell that a hypothetical English region would adapt things from the character of each county and not just be one big "Doctor-Who-in-Downton-Abbey-by-quaint-old-London-Town" thing.

I'd be interested in seeing not just England as a region, but the entire British Isles as well. Bring Scotland, Ireland and Wales in on it. Hilight the major differencesearch between the area, how they see each other, and how they put up with each other (or not in some cases).

I've got this image in my mind now of Brits, Scotch, Welsh and Irish treatint Pokémon tournaments with the same gusto they often do with Football (or soccer for the Americans among us)...

I might have to make this a thing now.

I'd rather a West Coast region because of the sheer degree of prevalence of rock, ground and fire a Nevada-based region would have, as well as the only decently- sized cities being Las Vegas and Reno. Like every other place is the size of Pokemon video game cities, but in real life. Look at Overton, Boulder City, Mesquite and Laughlin.

If it were Nevada, the starters might be a fire/poison rattlesnake or scorpion, a grass- and possibly ground-type Joshua tree, cactus or maybe even palm. Water pokemon would be pretty scarce, I think. The water/ground starter might be a razorback sucker.

Ottawa River Valley area... hmmm...

The Southern area is mostly flat with a large city in the north-east central area, and smaller cities dotted in the surrounding area. The Northern half is a lot of hills and forests to the west, with a moderately-sized city in the south, and small towns in the surrounding area. Since I live in Canada's National Capital, the Parliament buildings could be where the Pokémon League HQ is.

The mammal "Com Mon" would be a Groundhog Pokémon, The bird "Com Mon" would be a Blue Jay Pokémon. Starters will be: a grass/flying Woodpecker Pokémon, a fire/normal Squirrel Pokémon, and another water/ground Frog Pokémon.

A Welsh region...
We'd have to have a new sheep Pokemon line, and the legendary would probably be a red Dragon. I guess the landscape would be grassy and hilly, you could have ice Pokemon in Snowdonia and water pokemon along the coast - maybe the coastal path would be the cycle road shortcut?
I guess a problem would be that most towns/cities would be in the south, but I guess the North could be pkmn leage, story and metagame stuff?
There would be a lot of grass types, very few rock/ground types and some more farmyard pokemon - miltank, ponyta and mareep should all be quite common.
Fairy types would have a lot of potential, with some dark/fairy, ghost/fairy and dragon/fairy coming from all the fair folk lore in Britain - I'd like to see a goblin pokemon. A celtic witch pokemon would also be nice.
The region wouldn't be very linear, since there aren't many roads, and maybe flat holm or wyrm's head would make a nice training island/team base.
Barry Island, lord of the penny arcades, could have pokemon slots and stuff.

And the evil team would be like the sociatea, or perhaps more down the mafia/gang route. Or Pirates (but not like Team Aqua, like proper pirates)!
I'd prefer a British Isles region, but since I know more about Wales these are my ideas.
Oh yes. I would say that London should hold the crime syndicate headquarters, as well as some kind of Pokemon equivalent of Scotland Yard (where Looker is from. The reason he speaks weird could be because his language skills aren't perfect)
A Who Pokemon would be cool though. Maybe Dialga could appear in the Cardiff-equivalent film studios?

Last edited:
Fairy types would have a lot of potential, with some dark/fairy, ghost/fairy and dragon/fairy coming from all the fair folk lore in Britain - I'd like to see a goblin pokemon. A celtic witch pokemon would also be nice.

Oh, there's lot of fun to be had with that across Britain, what with the cross-pollination of beliefs from around the Isles subsequently mingling with Christianity. If it were me I'd probably adapt a Welsh dragon, maybe play around with a Cornish giant, have something Norse in there as well with a six-legged horse (The legend of Woden's Wild Hunt persisted well after Norse culture otherwise disappeared from England) ... and that's just off the top of my head!

Pennsylvania. Probably a modern, city-like region with some degree of forests and parks and rivers. A hummingbird (Grass/Fairy), a gopher (Water/Poison), and a red panda (Fire/Psychic) would be the starters.

California could make a fun region. With some nice coastal cities. The San Francisco based city should have an art museum and aquarium.

Not to brag, but I think my country makes a better pokemon region than most - Chile has an absolutely massive variation in climate and a long string of isolated cities surrounded by lots and lots of wide open nature.

I'd put the starting town as Arica (tropical beach), and have the starters be Exeggcute (because Exeggutor is a palm tree), Corphish (because of all the seafood in the entire country), and Tepig (pigs are a cute animal in a complicated hello kitty kind of way in Chile). This also gives each starter a way to hit the other two super-effectively, for balance. So with your trusty starter you head out into the barren Atacama desert and find a variety of pokemon that don't need water to survive, such as Hippopotas.

Iquique is the first gym and is ground type. This is also where the game's huge department store is, and you can unlock new stores with better items like TM's with more badges. After winning here, you set out across the open desert again, finding some more rocky pokemon as we're going to head up to the altiplano briefly. Calama, the mining town, has some pokemon that evolve into steel types later on like Onix and Nosepass, and San Pedro de Atacama with all its sun and located in an oasis gives you access to Sunflora and Helioptle, which are available nowhere else.

After those brief detours, you end up in Antofagasta, the second gym, which is rock type. Also in Antofagasta are missions that send you out to different towns without gyms, such as Calama, San Pedro, and others, asking you to bring them specific rare pokemon in exchange for huge amounts of gold, but these are often inaccessible until later in the game.

Once you have the second badge, you set out into the most remote and barren territory in the region, populated by swarms of Roggenrola and their Gigalith leaders who will attack you in an attempt to eat you. If you can make it through, there is salvation in Copiapo, offering you a safe place to rest before setting out once more. South of Copiapo the land is slowly becoming more fertile, but only slightly - this gives you access to pokemon like Cacnea, Sandshrew, and Maractus.

The third gym, poison type, is found in La Serena, with an alternate third gym in Coquimbo. The most powerful pokemon regardless of the gym is Ariados to represent the Araña Rincon, which is an extremely poisonous spider that can cause you to lose your limbs or your life. What happens here is that you have to side with either the government (La Serena) or the pirates (Coquimbo) and you become unwelcome in the other town. At this point you have the option to head east into the Elqui Valley and capture pokemon such as Spinarak, Venonat, and Roselia.

You then head south again, where the climate is increasingly greener and pokemon like Tangela start to appear, until reaching the port city of Valparaiso, with its water type gym #4. You also obtain the Good Rod in town and are able to fish up Clamperl, Krabby, Shellder, and Qwilfish. At this point you also encounter the organized crime team of the game - let's call them Anarchists, who mostly use fire pokemon to set buildings on fire and explode ATM's.

The Anarchist plot takes you inland to Santiago, the metropolis and home to the fifth gym, electric type. This city is one of those massive labyrinths such as Lumiose or Castelia, and has a bunch of towers filled with trainers that have open level rosters, ensuring you can return here and train up your pokemon as far as you want. The organized crime plot comes to a head and the members all arrested, although it becomes a morally gray conflict when you hear bad things about the government and the ideals of the Anarchists.

But no time to dwell on that, you're becoming a pokemon master! Next, head south through farmland and catch a huge variety of grass, normal, flying, and bug types, until you get to Concepcion, with its normal type gym. This city is made up of a long string of individual neighborhoods, each of whom can sell you unique TM's and pokemon trades themed around their uses - i.e. a Trick Room neighborhood with a move tutor and trades for Slowbro, Porygon with Upgrade; an entry hazard neighborhood with move tutors for them and trade for Forretress; etc.

You head south once more into more forested territory, interrupted by patches of farmland, and arrive at Temuco, which has no official gym, but has an unofficial one like the Karate Dojo. In fact it's also fighting type. Depending on how you answer questions about what happened with the Anarchists, you'll receive one of Hitmonchan/lee/top, and be admonished for your behavior/encouraged to go fight "the man"/told to think more carefully about your decisions in the future, and it culminates in a fighting type pokemon tournament.

Your next stop is Valdivia, embedded within the forest itself and populated by people from a far away land who all have ice type pokemon, including the seventh gym. You have the opportunity here to capture high level forest pokemon such as Shiftry, Trevenant, and Torterra. You'll hear creepy stories with implied war from this far-away land, and eventually be ushered out of the town and encouraged to keep moving.

At the end of the road is Puerto Montt, home to the 8th gym with dark type pokemon, and a city buffeted by endless dreary rain, heavy fog, and long periods of darkness. You receive the Super Rod here, as well as finally unlocking Surf, letting you explore the areas beyond to the south, which are a long string of forested islands, rocky outcroppings, and fjords all inhabited by rare pokemon such as Lapras, Aurorus, Relicanth, Abomasnow, and Cradily. This serves as a "Victory Road", and is only broken up by a lone pokemon center in the tiny town of Coyhaique if you choose to venture off in that direction (you should).

After healing at the pokemon center, you have to trek along through more difficult terrain that requires the use of all HM's, including Strength, Rock Climb, and Waterfall, and is where you'll encounter trainers preparing for the pokemon league. At the end of this is Punta Arenas, with the Pokemon League. At this point the Elite Four are ready to slam you with all the pokemon types you have hardly encountered until that point - Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy. The Champion must be fire type, considering this IS Tierra del Fuego!

After the credits roll, Easter Island gets opened up as a postgame area, and presumably has something similar to the Battle Frontier as well as a place to evolve your Nosepass to Probopass. The Chilean Antarctic would also open up, giving you access to Avalugg and probably Regice, but it would be a harsh land with no pokemon centers and wild level 80+ pokemon.

Last edited:
New Zealand but there is nothing really here for the games to base on for a region.

Alright, I already did Jersey, now let's do where I currently live: the Carolinas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Asheville, NC (Starting city.)

-Boone, NC (Tutorial town in the vein of Cherrygrove or Oldale.)

-Winston-Salem, NC (Fire gym. Winston-Salem is a hub of the tobacco industry and the home of Camel cigarettes.)

-High Point, NC (Flying gym. The city has one of the highest altitudes in the Piedmont.)

-Raleigh/Durham, NC (Psychic gym. These two cities are part of the Research Triangle with their high-profile universities - NC State in Raleigh, Duke in Durham.)

-Jacksonville, NC (No gym, but the region's military hub is located here.)

-Florence/Darlington, SC (Electric gym. A type commonly associated with speed is fitting for the home of Darlington Raceway.)

-Charlotte, NC (Bug gym. Charlotte's nickname is the Hornet's Nest, and this is also a reference to the NBA's Charlotte Hornets. This is also the region's Castelia-esque metropolis.)

-Greenville, SC (Ground gym. Greenville is located on a fault line and is practically surrounded by mountains.)

-Aiken, SC (No gym. Aiken is home to two golf clubs, a tennis club, and a polo club, and this is represented by having the entire city basically be one big country club.)

-Columbia, SC (Dark gym. References the Civil War, and how South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union. Having a Dark gym plays into the "rebel" aspect of that.)

-Charleston, SC (Water gym. Not much to say here; there's quite a bit of water in Charleston. It's also home to the South Carolina Aquarium to put the cherry on top.)

-Myrtle Beach, SC (The Elite Four and Champion are located here. Other than that, it's a resort city.)

I was born in Romania even though I don't live there anymore

Geography:
- A mountain range (a.k.a. the Carpathian Mountains) would divide the region into two halves like Sinnoh.
- In the middle of the region there would be a spooky subregion with medieval architecture and lots of legends (a.k.a. Transylvania).
- Just like Romania, and unlike all the Pokemon regions thus far, this region would only have a short coastline.
- The region would also be traversed by a big mighty river because most of the Danube (the most important and second biggest river in Europe) is in Romania.
- The river would also be the border between this region and the neighboring one just like the Danube is the border between Romania and Bulgaria. In order to get to the next region you would have to undertake a boat trip (which is what the characters seem do most of the time in the anime when they first arrive in a new region) only in this case it would be on a river not on sea.
- In that capital there would be a gigantic building since the Romanian parliament is the second biggest building in the world after the Pentagon. It would be haunted by ghost types and many pokemon trainers would get lost on it's unexplored rooms and hallways just like Ash and his friends seem to get lost in forests a lot lol.
- The climate would be temperate of course with four distinct seasons.

Legendary Pokemon:
- One based on Dracula of course. It would be a dark type and it would be an evil tragic figure who would be redeemed in the end. It's starter form would be a bat and it's third and final one would be a humanoid vampire with big bat wings. It would survive on pokemon blood!!!
- One based on a Roman solider or emperor because Romanians were formed as a people when the Roman empire conquered them and made them part of their empire. It's primary type would be fighting since it's based on a warrior, and it's secondary one would be psychic as an allusion to the enlightened values and advanced knowledge of science, philosophy, and governance that the Romans possessed. It would be a very very smart pokemon like Metagross or Alakazam.
- Maybe these two pokemon could be rivals like many legendary pokemon in other regions and the Roman one would defeat the Dracula one in the end.
- Dracula would represent chaos and the Roman emperor law and harmony.

Pseudo legendary pokemon:
- A dragon with many heads (more than 3....probably 7) since that is what dragons (balaur) are like in Romanian folklore. It would be dragon and flying type.

Starter pokemon:
- Romania doesn't have a lot of distinctive fauna but I would definitely include a pokemon based on a sheep since pastoralism is an important motif in Romanian folklore. Maybe this could be the grass type since sheep eat grass and I think it would look very unique if it's wool would actually be a bush :)
- I would probably include one based on a bear to since Romania has the largest population of brown bears in Europe and they often come into cities to eat from garbage bins lol. This would be the fire type since bears are very dangerous and temperamental. It would be very bulky....the new Blastoise....only mammalian....if you crossed Blastoise and Typhlosion (fire type and mammalian) this would be it.
- The water type would be fish shaped since we haven't had a water starter with a fish body type yet. Romania is also fish shaped so this would work well. It would be part flying type, and therefore based on real 'flying' fish, so that it could fly and be maneuverable when it's out of water to unlike Feebas, Goldeen. Magikarp etc. It would flap it's flippers in order to fly.

Gyms:
- A normal type gym in one of the many wings of the gigantic building in the capital. You would have to travel a half day through the building in order to get to it.
- A water type gym on the big river that forms one of the countries borders. The battle would be on rock sticking out of the rapid flowing river.
- A ghost type gym in a castle in the Transylvania part of the region.
- A grass type gym on a plantation in the middle of an endless plain since Romania has a lot of those.
- A ground type gym in a deep cave in the mountains
- A psychic type gym since it's one of my favourite types.
- A multiple type gym for the region's champion in the capital. Ironically this gym would be in the same city as the normal type one but because that one is deep in the gigantic building they'd practically be far away from each other.

The region's professor:
- A man based on Val Helsing the vampire hunter. He would have a Victorian era look.
- His tree name would be Professor Elder....it's would be a pretty good pun on an older man like him.

The regions champion:
- A very agile and athletic female gymnast.
- She would be very short since pretty much all gymnasts are.
- She would get very animated and do lots of gymnastics tricks during pokemon battles.

Last edited:
I was born in Romania even though I don't live there anymore

Geography:
- A mountain range (a.k.a. the Carpathian Mountains) would divide the region into two halves like Sinnoh.
- In the middle of the region there would be a spooky subregion with medieval architecture and lots of legends (a.k.a. Transylvania).
- Just like Romania, and unlike all the Pokemon regions thus far, this region would only have a short coastline.
- The region would also be traversed by a big mighty river because most of the Danube (the most important and second biggest river in Europe) is in Romania.
- The river would also be the border between this region and the neighboring one just like the Danube is the border between Romania and Bulgaria. In order to get to the next region you would have to undertake a boat trip (which is what the characters seem do most of the time in the anime when they first arrive in a new region) only in this case it would be on a river not on sea.
- In that capital there would be a gigantic building since the Romanian parliament is the second biggest building in the world after the Pentagon. It would be haunted by ghost types and many pokemon trainers would get lost on it's unexplored rooms and hallways just like Ash and his friends seem to get lost in forests a lot lol.
- The climate would be temperate of course with four distinct seasons.

Legendary Pokemon:
- One based on Dracula of course. It would be a dark type and it would be an evil tragic figure who would be redeemed in the end. It's starter form would be a bat and it's third and final one would be a humanoid vampire with big bat wings. It would survive on pokemon blood!!!
- One based on a Roman solider or emperor because Romanians were formed as a people when the Roman empire conquered them and made them part of their empire. It's primary type would be fighting since it's based on a warrior, and it's secondary one would be psychic as an allusion to the enlightened values and advanced knowledge of science, philosophy, and governance that the Romans possessed. It would be a very very smart pokemon like Metagross or Alakazam.
- Maybe these two pokemon could be rivals like many legendary pokemon in other regions and the Roman one would defeat the Dracula one in the end.
- Dracula would represent chaos and the Roman emperor law and harmony.

Pseudo legendary pokemon:
- A dragon with many heads (more than 3....probably 7) since that is what dragons (balaur) are like in Romanian folklore. It would be dragon and flying type.

Starter pokemon:
- Romania doesn't have a lot of distinctive fauna but I would definitely include a pokemon based on a sheep since pastoralism is an important motif in Romanian folklore. Maybe this could be the grass type since sheep eat grass and I think it would look very unique if it's wool would actually be a bush :)
- I would probably include one based on a bear to since Romania has the largest population of brown bears in Europe and they often come into cities to eat from garbage bins lol. This would be the fire type since bears are very dangerous and temperamental. It would be very bulky....the new Blastoise....only mammalian....if you crossed Blastoise and Typhlosion (fire type and mammalian) this would be it.
- The water type would be fish shaped since we haven't had a water starter with a fish body type yet. Romania is also fish shaped so this would work well. It would be part flying type, and therefore based on real 'flying' fish, so that it could fly and be maneuverable when it's out of water to unlike Feebas, Goldeen. Magikarp etc. It would flap it's flippers in order to fly.

Gyms:
- A normal type gym in one of the many wings of the gigantic building in the capital. You would have to travel a half day through the building in order to get to it.
- A water type gym on the big river that forms one of the countries borders. The battle would be on rock sticking out of the rapid flowing river.
- A ghost type gym in a castle in the Transylvania part of the region.
- A grass type gym on a plantation in the middle of an endless plain since Romania has a lot of those.
- A ground type gym in a deep cave in the mountains
- A psychic type gym since it's one of my favourite types.
- A multiple type gym for the region's champion in the capital. Ironically this gym would be in the same city as the normal type one but because that one is deep in the gigantic building they'd practically be far away from each other.

The region's professor:
- A man based on Val Helsing the vampire hunter. He would have a Victorian era look.
- His tree name would be Professor Elder....it's would be a pretty good pun on an older man like him.

The regions champion:
- A very agile and athletic female gymnast.
- She would be very short since pretty much all gymnasts are.
- She would get very animated and do lots of gymnastics tricks during pokemon battles.

Really liked it. A Van Helsing inspired teacher? Fuck Yeah.
. Would love to see a region with medieval feels, A lot small towns, contaning just one big city.

Also, another spot can be the Hoia Baciu Forest, there can concentrate all possible ghost and creepy Pokemons of the franchise, and locate a portal to another dimension.

If Romania became a region, will be the place with the biggest number of ghost and dark Pokemons lol

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom