• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I don’t care at all that there is no national dex and some Pokémon will be unavailable. I think the whole game looks amazing.

I also don’t like Blue. I don’t see him as the best rival ever. I find him way overrated. I actually don’t mind friendly rivals as long as they actually battle you, so basically as long as they aren’t the XY crew.

I think this is 50/50 in the fandom but for fire emblem I hate when characters have a lot of supports. I think they should have a few that make sense. For both the avatar and the other characters. Fates had too many and it’s too annoying to even consider trying to get them all.

I also love casual Becaise I hate having to restart a level 20 times because rng screwed me over or trying to recruit a Myrmidon character got them or my char killed. And I’m a perfectionist and thus can’t stand them staying dead.

Lastly I don’t like Cordelia or Sumia. At all. Sumia is just a klutz archetype shoved down your throat as a partner for Chrom. And Cordelia is just a character who should be more likeable, but her longing for Chrom is brought up too much in game and thus ruins her few redeeming qualities.

Es is my least favorite XBlaze/BlazBlue character, she's boring imo. Also her hair antennae is stupid and doesn't look good on her.

I'm having mixed feelings on Edelgard from the upcoming FE Three Houses, on one hand I don't mind them pushing her as the main lord as other FE female lords usually get pushed aside later on in their respective games (poor Micaiah, especially), despite her not being my favorite of the three. On the other hand I just don't like how her house is getting more favoritism (even though I like a lot of the members of BE). Doesn't help that the now confirmed 4th route might possibly go to the Black Eagles. (though I hope that it isn't just a BE only route)

Speaking of FETH, male Byleth should also have five bi options like female Byleth does. The fact that he only has three bothers me, two of the options being significantly older as well. Why couldn't they add in two more for him, one from Blue Lions and Golden Deer respectively, since Linhardt from Black Eagles is an option (that I'll pick for male Byleth lol). Also remove Gilbert as an option and make it Jeritza instead, he's a teacher and probably still older than Byleth, if they want two of the options to be teachers. (I know this one may not exactly be unpopular, but I still gotta rant about it anyway) Also ew, why is Sothis one of the five options for female Byleth? (hopefully the leak about Sothis getting older in the timeskip is true then)

If Fire Emblem Warriors 2 becomes an actual possibility, I want characters from GotHW, Thracia 776, PoR, and RD especially. Also make Kris a playable character too, I've already mentioned how I've always liked them itt even though they get an extreme amount of hate, but it would be nice to actually see them in another game at least. (still want them in Heroes too)

I also don’t like Blue. I don’t see him as the best rival ever. I find him way overrated. I actually don’t mind friendly rivals as long as they actually battle you, so basically as long as they aren’t the XY crew.
Fun and sad fact: He was going to get character development in the GB version of GS, but they cut that. That would have redeemed him in my eyes since I also hate him.

Mmmmm

Just finished Breath of the Wild and I'd have to say, it's most definitely not my favorite Zelda game. It's a good game, but there are so many issues I have with it that prevent me from liking it more than I do. For one, horses are near useless if I'm just climbing or teleporting everywhere. The enemy variety was also awful, despite the world being huge, the only things on the overworld were those goblin things or Lizalfos. That, and the lack of any in-depth customization for battling aside from spear/axe/sword made fighting get really boring, to the point where I just gave up on combat 20 hours in. Zelda games (the ones I've played, at least) have never really had lots customization, but other open-world games I've played did, and I guess I just expected it.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is my favorite Xenoblade game by a long shot, and it deserved better than the Wii U. I admit it had the worst story and soundtrack of the games, but I absolutely adored all of the exploration and sidequests the game had to offer and think they're the best of the whole series.

Shadows of Valentia is one of my favorite FE games. Despite whatever problems it had, I thought the art style and voices for the game were great, and I like what they did with the magic system. I also never liked using any prepromoted units in Fire Emblem either, because I always found it more satisfying to use a unit I've built up myself.

Voltorb Flip > Slot Machine, because I'm a sucker for minesweeper-like games.

Shadows of Valentia is one of my favorite FE games. Despite whatever problems it had, I thought the art style and voices for the game were great, and I like what they did with the magic system. I also never liked using any prepromoted units in Fire Emblem either, because I always found it more satisfying to use a unit I've built up myself.
Some people disliked it because it closely follows Gaiden's roots (similar to how Shadow Dragon's remake wasn't very well received even though I really liked it too). Unpopular opinion but I too liked Gaiden's/SoV's magic system, it just makes sense because mages don't use tomes in these games so using it at the expense of their HP is neat indeed.

It's just nice that the black sheep of the series even got a remake, I liked the original but it's remake is way better. But the general consensus is that it's full fledged voice acting, supports, artstyle, casual mode, and Mila's Turnwheel are all great regardless. My beef with it though is that I personally think Faye should not have been added in, I don't mind adding in new characters (I liked Conrad, Fernand, Rinea, and Berkut), but Faye has a terrible trope given to her unfortunately.

Some people disliked it because it closely follows Gaiden's roots (similar to how Shadow Dragon's remake wasn't very well received even though I really liked it too). Unpopular opinion but I too liked Gaiden's/SoV's magic system, it just makes sense because mages don't use tomes in these games so using it at the expense of their HP is neat indeed.

It's just nice that the black sheep of the series even got a remake, I liked the original but it's remake is way better. But the general consensus is that it's full fledged voice acting, supports, artstyle, casual mode, and Mila's Turnwheel are all great regardless. My beef with it though is that I personally think Faye should not have been added in, I don't mind adding in new characters (I liked Conrad, Fernand, Rinea, and Berkut), but Faye has a terrible trope given to her unfortunately.

I actually kind of like Faye. Yes her character is centered around Alm, but the way it’s played is so much better than Cordelia’s unrequited love for Chrom. She does the creepy stalker well, and some of her other supports are actually interesting.

I agree on the magic system being cool too. It’s like using energy. The only reason I didn’t like the game is the maps suck so bad. They’re nothing but open fields and then you have summon spamming and teleporting witches. And Alms route was more boring to me. I liked Celicas better and the side characters were better than both Alm and Celica.

SoV did bring back the old support system which I love. Sure it used to use a turn to support, but there is just something nice about them having their conversations in the middle of battle.

I actually kind of like Faye. Yes her character is centered around Alm, but the way it’s played is so much better than Cordelia’s unrequited love for Chrom. She does the creepy stalker well, and some of her other supports are actually interesting.

I agree on the magic system being cool too. It’s like using energy. The only reason I didn’t like the game is the maps suck so bad. They’re nothing but open fields and then you have summon spamming and teleporting witches. And Alms route was more boring to me. I liked Celicas better and the side characters were better than both Alm and Celica.

SoV did bring back the old support system which I love. Sure it used to use a turn to support, but there is just something nice about them having their conversations in the middle of battle.
Understandable, I think what really gets me about her is that Alm and Celica are gonna be together at the end anyway, and I've always loved this couple since the original, but at least they didn't make her hate Celica. Also her leaving her husband and family constantly that was mentioned in the credits really rubs me the wrong way, personally. But she only has one other support and that's with Silque (the other two only being passive), they could've made this an opportunity to give her an actual support with Celica, especially if you choose to recruit her on Celica's route, would've been nice to see their thoughts with each other on their feelings for Alm.

Swamp maps are my most hated tbh, I can handle boats, and desert maps are ick, but swamps are annoying. But yeah I did wish that they could've changed the maps a bit more, but I guess I'm just used to Gaiden's maps at this point.

Understandable, I think what really gets me about her is that Alm and Celica are gonna be together at the end anyway, and I've always loved this couple since the original, but at least they didn't make her hate Celica. Also her leaving her husband and family constantly that was mentioned in the credits really rubs me the wrong way, personally. But she only has one other support and that's with Silque (the other two only being passive), they could've made this an opportunity to give her an actual support with Celica, especially if you choose to recruit her on Celica's route, would've been nice to see their thoughts with each other on their feelings for Alm.

Swamp maps are my most hated tbh, I can handle boats, and desert maps are ick, but swamps are annoying. But yeah I did wish that they could've changed the maps a bit more, but I guess I'm just used to Gaiden's maps at this point.
That ending is pretty messed up, but you have to admire her husband for being okay with it. And it’s not as bad as Cordelia and Frederick.

I wouldn’t mind swamps if they weren’t just giant open maps. Literally if it wasn’t a castle where the bad guys are all archers through long tunnels galore, then they were open fields. And of course the one Alm level where you had to climb a stairway Becaise mountains can’t be climbed.

Splatoon can benefit a lot with some canon strong male representation outside of protagonists, so far, we only had Cap'n Cuttlefish as he was the leader of the original Squidbeak Splatoon, but he's old now and can't fight anymore. So I wouldn't mind male idols in Splatoon 3. DJ Octavio could also be another strong male representation considering he commands the Octarians, but then again, he's just too silly in my opinion.

Putting this in spoilers since the game is still very new (mainly about characters, but just to be safe):
So I know this is very unpopular right now so far, but out of all the Golden Deer students Lysithea is my least favorite. I just dislike how she'll accuse some characters of treating her like a child when usually the conversation doesn't even lead to the other party implying it (save for like, one or two, I haven't done many others with other house students for her), they'll make a remark about maybe trying something different in her schedule, or help her out, and she'll instantly get defensive over it, thinking they're looking down on her (when they aren't). It's not really that I hate characters like that, if they are done really well and have an appealing design I'll usually like them, but I just can't get to like Lysithea sadly. I know she gets better in some supports (like the one with her and Leonie), but she doesn't click with me, and her design is meh (especially her timeskip look). At least she's a good glass cannon unit, so there's that.

On the other hand, I like Leonie but her gushing about "Captain Jeralt this, and Captain Jeralt that" can get a little annoying. Also while I haven't been able to finish her support with Byleth (only got up to B), damn is it obvious that she's jealous of Byleth being Jeralt's kid. She'll be rude to them one minute then apologize the next, then goes back to being rude, like you got some kind of complex/insecurity or what? But her supports with other students are pretty good, and despite her little complex about Byleth she's grown on me.

Early on in my Blue Lions route, so far not clicking with Dedue either. Which sucks cause when he was first revealed I really liked his design, and his English voice is great, but I don't know so far he's currently my least favorite Blue Lions student. Maybe when I progress more in this route, and see his supports (his and Felix's C support was interesting so far), I'll grow to like him. He's a good tanky unit so far though.

This is kinda cross media so I don't know if it belongs here, but I prefer how Venom looks in the older MvCs over its canon look. To make matter worse, they didn't even include a light blue palette in Infinite, which I find weird seeing how Capcom even referenced MvC memes in the past game.

Another one, but it's something that I feel will be unpopular later: I hate Bede, mostly because he looks like he's going to be Blue 2.0. I know people wanted another jerk rival, but emulating the worst rival ever is a bad choice in my opinion.

So I know this is very unpopular right now so far, but out of all the Golden Deer students Lysithea is my least favorite. I just dislike how she'll accuse some characters of treating her like a child when usually the conversation doesn't even lead to the other party implying it (save for like, one or two, I haven't done many others with other house students for her), they'll make a remark about maybe trying something different in her schedule, or help her out, and she'll instantly get defensive over it, thinking they're looking down on her (when they aren't). It's not really that I hate characters like that, if they are done really well and have an appealing design I'll usually like them, but I just can't get to like Lysithea sadly. I know she gets better in some supports (like the one with her and Leonie), but she doesn't click with me, and her design is meh (especially her timeskip look). At least she's a good glass cannon unit, so there's that.

I'm in agreement with most of your post, but especially this part.

But as for some of my own 3 Houses opinions:

It's a shame that I don't enjoy Lysithea, especially since her whole backstory with her crests is actually pretty interesting. But she comes across as so hostile in so many of her lower-rank supports that it just leaves a really bad first impression on me. I recruited her in my BL playthrough, but I have yet to start a GD run, so hopefully my opinion might change for the better once I see her interact with other characters, but I somehow doubt it.

Another character who I don't particularly enjoy is Sylvain. Some of his supports go into the reasons why he's such a womanizer, and I'll admit, I really like those ones, but the rest of his supports seem really uninterrsting to me. People seem to find them amusing, but I just can't bring myself to liking them at all and I don't know why. I don't have any problem with skirt-chaser characters or anything like that, but he just failed to leave any lasting impression on me at all compared to the rest of the BL group, even compared to the "boring" characters like Ingrid or Dedue.

Also, for some reason I really like Lorenz so far. From what I've seen of his supports, he seems to genuinely care for the common people and the rest of his fellow students, but he's just really bad at communicating with them in a way that doesn't make him seem like a massive snob. Despite his wonky pre-skip look, his timeskip look is easily one of my favorites of the whole cast. He gets me Thyrsus too, so that's also neat.

Also, for other series:

The Stolen Turnabout is my favorite case in the series. I really like the whole "trying to compete for the same alibi" thing that Atmey and Ron had going on. Those two are easily some of my favorite characters in the series, even if they're both a bit irritating. The idea that you also had a defendant who was straight up guilty for something they were on trial for again (even if wasn't murder) was also great, since I had thought that Engarde was the last we'd ever see of that.

Max Galactica is ridiculous and I also really like him. Turnabout Big Top wasn't the worst case in the series either, and the only things I actively dislike from it were Ben and Trilo.

I don't care for Ema Skye or Trucy.

Unwound Future is my second-least favorite game. I still really love it, but I loved most of the others more. Somehow, with all the crazy endings the other games have, the one in UF seemed absolutely ridiculous to me. I don't care for either of the villains either. At least to me, Clive's only real appeal was that he was kind of an adult Luke for a short bit, but he seemed really tour-guidey. The other guy who really liked Claire wasn't too memorable for me given I don't even remember his name.

Didn't really like Descole until Azran Legacy either. When I played the Last Specter for the first time, he just seemed like Don Paolo 2. The movie didn't do much for me either, and he was barely in Miracle Mask, so they didn't help better my impressions of him. The only reason I liked him in Azran Legacy was because he wasn't actually being Descole for most of it.

I think the Friends of Mineral Town remake character designs look good too, at least they're just not just rehashes of the exact same designs we've had since HM64.

Last edited:
Another one, but it's something that I feel will be unpopular later: I hate Bede, mostly because he looks like he's going to be Blue 2.0. I know people wanted another jerk rival, but emulating the worst rival ever is a bad choice in my opinion.
i agree. blue had no substance other than being just an absolute jerk.

I absolutely hated Silver, btw. He comes off as just some winy jerk who refuses to accept that he lost with valid reasoning.

Fire Emblem Opinions:
  • Petra is best girl and Dimitri is best boy.
  • I don't like Mercedes.
  • Inigo's behaviour is so desperate and juvenile that it's not even funny. Poor boy, grow up a little.
  • Ferdinand growing out his hair is the biggest plot twist in the series. I did not see that one coming.
Disclaimer: I have nothing against flirty or skirt-chasing characters.

Other opinions hot takes:
The majority of farming/life sim games, such as Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, are really boring.
Although Mario rarely changes from game to game, the level design more than makes up for it. Flight of the Parabeetles, anyone?

My most controversial one.
For a game like Fire Emblem where marriage is involved, the best kind of representation is to have 1/3 of the cast straight, another third bi, and the final third exclusive to one gender (split fifty/fifty). That's how I would do it, anyway.
For example, out of a cast of 42, 14 people are straight, 14 people are bi, 7 are gay, and 7 are lesbian.

Last edited:
The All-Star Mob Smash should let you have more than one stock, especially since you have to battle over 70 characters who can easily combo you enough to end your run.

I agree -- there are two aspects to having a rival NPC: 1- Whether you like/hate them as a character, and 2- whether you like/hate them as a battling opponent. Some people want a character they can hate for the purpose of enjoying how they can beat them in a fight, but that's an incredibly limited mindset. I particularly remember liking how, in Sun/Moon, in at least one of your Hau battles the outcome is basically irrelevant -- you can win OR lose and the story proceeds either way. (Cosmog knows my team was in no shape to take down his Alolan Raichu on the first try....)

Some of my unpopular opinions:

FF7 is overrated.

Ocarina of Time is overrated.

Ocarina of Time is overrated.
For me it’s Majoras Mask. I’m not far in it at all and am finding it more tedious than anything.

Breath of the wild i think is a little overrated too. If you like wasting hours walking across nothingness then it’s great, but That’s the majority of the game and walking across nothingness isn’t always fun.

Back
Top Bottom