• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Saw the updates. Very good. I enjoyed the comparison between the Galactic two parter and the new episode. I did not realized something big happened (gotta watch Pokemon more often.)

As for being crazy enough to get both the new DVD set and the Blu-Ray set... na :D. At their price, I can only afford one (barely) and I want me some hi-def Pokemon. :D If you're getting it, I'd appreciate a review. If you don't have time, that's fine. I just wanted to ask. :)

That's it, Dogasu. Let it all out!

Though I'll level with you. I'm happy with the Trio being how they are now because it forces TPCI to NOT make them speak godawful dialoge that makes me want to hurt someone. The "Good Meowth" episodes shows they just CAN NOT translate their dialoge worth shit. Them not being as good as they were is a small price to pay not feeling burniung rage every damn time they open their mouths (I have Cilan for that now)

Dogasu, do you really need to go on for over a page every comparison that has the TRio in it about how much you hate them? Trust me, we all get it. They're not even on the show currently, and that part of their characters is probably done with, so can we all just move on?

Dogasu's right though.

The "train chase" sequence at the tail-end of this episode is pretty pathetic, with Team Rocket giving up way too easily, and the Pokemon repeatedly using attacks to speed up the train car but never once attempting to take down the main threat (the helicopter/giant-crane combo Professor Seger is putting his heart into piloting) with their high-powered beam moves until Ash comes in.

I don't have a problem if he feels that way. I just don't see why these huge rants in every comparison are necessary.

^ It's just that it's the Onix in the room.
He's annoyed with many fans lovin' the "New & Improved" TR when they really haven't improved very much and when he does a comparison featuring them with their counter-lameness (going from "determined morons" to "too cool to take action") staring him in the face, boy is he ever gonna talk about it. Especially since this is one of the all time most greivace examples.

Though he did get carried away this time...
(he went all Nostalgia Critic on us!)

Last edited:
I don't have a problem if he feels that way. I just don't see why these huge rants in every comparison are necessary.
It is his "Thoughts" section. You have the option of not reading it.

I actually love reading Dogasu's feelings towards episodes and comparing them to my own. They're very interesting.

From the new comparison...

This is the final episode of TPCI's Black & White season, which doesn't really make any sense to me. Why not end the season at 52 episodes instead of a weird number like 48? Fifty-two episodes into the series would have made Alder's debut episode the season finale, something that makes a hell of a lot more sense than ending it on a random Rocket two-parter.

I'm fine with it- it is a two-parter of the main bad guys, though, and the next season begins with episodes about a gym leader. I guess the TRvsTP two-parter was going to be in it, and that would've made 50. (The Dawn and Brock specials, even though they're D&P specials, would add to make 52, although there hasn't been any word about them dubbing them... *shrugs*)

Very good work, Dogasu. I may like the new Team Rocket, but I concede it's not for everyone. I think that statement of you making your rants against them in the Battle Subway two-parter similar to the Nostalgia Critic or other Channel Awesome contributors, SF Debris, or Mr. Plinkett of Red Letter Media last month still fits. Anyone can simply say they dislike something. The real prowess comes from actively criticizing the piece and deconstructing its flaws. When you get down to it, the whole concept of of criticism is based on opinion, and it's the perception of that opinion that depends on how people react to it.

Once again, I must call BS on Dogasu here.

The trio places Pikachu and Kibago in these wire cage things that do not restrict their movements in any way whatsoever. Pikachu's tail - y'know, the longest appendage it has - isn't even in the confines of its steel ball thing.

Meowth placed Pikachu and Axew in the wire cages, not the whole trio, and Pikachu's tail being out didn't matter; it didn't use it at all.

They also put the stolen Monster Balls in a bunch of uncovered boxes and then place them in a train car. These boxes are all overflowing (what, they couldn't have brought an extra box or two to alleviate this?) but Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu didn't think to put a lid or tarp or anything on them that could prevent the Monster Balls from spilling out if the train should, for example, hit a bump in the road.

Huh? The boxes weren't overflowing at all, I don't think there was any danger of spilling out...and even if they did, a Pokemon wouldn't get released as long as the little circular center of the Ball wasn't pressed, and falling down is highly unlikely to cause that to happen. And while not covering them proved a problem, when were they supposed to get the time to do that? They had to drive the train as soon as the Balls were all loaded on, since Ash and co. were right on their tail.

They then think to put both Pikachu and Kibago, who - if you'll remember, can move around about as freely as they could if they weren't even in those cage things in the first place - into the same train car as these boxes of their friends' pokemon. There's no way that could possibly lead to any trouble, right?

Again, this is Meowth's fault, not Jessie and James' too. It was already established that Meowth was drunk on overconfidence.

So then Pikachu and his friends break free because they actually make an effort to escape instead of just sit there passively and accept their fate, which I guess is what the Rocket trio were expecting them to do for some reason.

Would YOU guess that Pikachu would actually zap a Poke'Ball's center, release a Pokemon, and effectively play Pokemon Trainer to it in order to get released? It doesn't matter if you're competant or not, no-one is going to think of this possibility in advance since it sounds so weird.

When Nyasu discovers that Pikachu's freed itself and like half the pokemon in our heroes' party, he just straight up ignores them instead of trying to do anything to either recapture them or prevent them from continuing their escape. Deathmas and Koromori aren't called out to help out, either, despite the fact that they could have easily flown on over into the train car and helped the trio buy some time.

AGAIN, explained away by Meowth being so competant up to this point that it goes to his head and makes him arrogantly assume he's going to succeed, which in fact causes him to screw up. There's a reason for this, it isn't just bad writing or Meowth being a total moron.

Seger-Hakase flies in on his helicopter, armed only with a giant crane game claw thing, and attempts to pick up the train car on which Pikachu and the others are firing off attacks from. We don't get to find out what he had planned to actually do with them once he caught them - what's to prevent them from just beating the shit out of him once they're onboard? - because he's so terrible at piloting a helicopter and / or using that crane thing that he never gets around to actually picking it up.

Zager says that flying the helicopter and using the crane at the same time is something that requires precision, and that this is difficult to pull off in the current situation. It's a run of bad luck, not something he's doing wrong. And they can't beat the shit out of him when they're aboard because they wouldn't be pulled in to the cockpit. They'd be pulled into the main body of the helicopter, where we see in the later Twist Mountain two-parter that forcefields can be turned on in. That's obviously how they'd be detained.

Additionally, the pokemon the Rocket trio had captured managed to free themselves by the time Satoshi and his friends caught up to them; in other words, the trio barely made it out of the city limits without everything blowing up in their faces.

Ash and the others only caught up to them because of a deus ex machina epiphany on Cilan's part. Again, how would the TRio predict that would happen? Your definition of competance is off if you think the TRio ought to be nigh-omnipotent in their planning to be competant.

But none of this translates to real competence - it just creates an illusion that this trio is suddenly good at their jobs. These changes are purely cosmetic and are blinding a lot of fans to the fact that the Rocket-Dan is just as sucky at their jobs now as they've always been.

No, I think the problem is that the Rocket trio IS good at their jobs now, but their personality has changed in the process and you hate that. So you insist that they haven't become competant and that the writers made a terrible, pointless move in changing their personalities because it truly changed nothing in how they operate and it would be better to just revert them back to their old silly personalities.

They weren't smart and careful, and they didn't have some brilliant plan and were only foiled because they had an unfortunate string of bad luck.

Yes, they were smart, were careful, and their plan was foiled on a string of bad luck and Meowth's overconfidence. You just WANT the case to be otherwise, because if it is, then you feel more justified in your claims that the trio should go back to the characters they once were, since being silly and incompetant is more justified than being serious and incompetant.

Last edited:
@ObjectionMan

Yes, it absolutely was possible (still is, really) that the Rocket vs. Plasma two-parter is going to be retconned. I understand that you think that would be stupid and a waste of time / money and all that, but that doesn't mean it can't (or won't) happen.

You say that the two-parter will air, out of order, as-is with absolutely no changes. You have absolutely no proof of this whatsoever.

It's true that I also don't have any concrete proof that the episodes will be retconned, either. But you seem to have misinterpreted what I've written on my page to mean that I think they definitely will be retconned when I'm actually only presenting it as a possibility. There's a huge difference there.

Bringing up "Holiday Hi-Jynx" and "Snow Way Out" is silly because what they did with those two episodes happened fifteen years ago. You can't apply what happened a decade and a half ago to 2012. Different people are in charge now, the attitudes of the ones who are still with the show after all these years has changed, Japan as a whole has changed...just because a controversy is handled one way at one point in time doesn't mean it's going to be handled exactly the same way from here until the end of time.

@Musashi

Not everybody who visits my site is a member of Bulbagarden. You, personally, may be tired of me talking about the Rocket trio, but that's because you read all those posts I make about them here on Bulba. Not everyone who visits my site can say the same thing.

"Battle for the Underground" is the episode provides what I see as the greatest discrepency between this idea that the BW Rocket trio was "competent" and their actual competence. So of course I'm going to talk about it. Like SammyW27 said, it's kind of the elephant in the room.

If you don't like it, you're free to scroll down past the Thoughts section for those episodes. It's one of the reasons I put my general thoughts about the episosdes in their own section in the first place.

@ObjectionMan

I could respond to your points one by one and point out why I think your interpretations are not correct (you seem to have misremembered a lot of the details of the episode, for example), but I'll instead address your insistence that I'm only seeing failure because of my blind hatred of the trio. That's not true. I don't go into each episode hunting for ways to justify my idea that they suck, but I also can't ignore it when the show gives me example after example of how shitty they are at their jobs. It's not my fault the TV series gives me so many obvious examples to work with.

It's OK if you like the BW trio. But you have to respect the fact that others don't and you can't be so dismissive of those who have genuine, legitimate complaints about them.

Welcome back, Dogasu. I'm afraid that file doesn't work on my computer; but I get giddy just imagining the Pokémon Star Wars parody. I've got a project I'm working on for the media amusement thread of the original trilogy with all the characters. Anyway, good to have you back, and I hope you did well on your Japanese test.

Wait, what? Re-airing such an old episode is one thing, but repainting all those Jynx? Really?

That rabbit thing from Harmoknight would make a cool Electric Pokemon.

I wonder if they plan on having any Harmoknight throw-backs in Gen VI? Would be cool, like how we had all the Pulseman stuff in Gen IV.

Back
Top Bottom