• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

A 20 year old with six legendaries fights a 10 year old with 6 regular Pokemon.

That sure is some deus ex machina shit.

I actually think that Takuto was really cool. Poor guy, getting a load of crap for being good at what he does.
I don't blame Takuto for being so good, personally.

I blame the writers for making him so good.

Edit: My comment on him being hated is because it's pretty common for characters to get hate if they're put in poorly written situations that involve them. Look at Richie, for instance.

Last edited:
If he had two, I'm sure Takuto had more.

They should have just made him impossibly broken and had him use Arceus.

I actually think that Takuto was really cool. Poor guy, getting a load of crap for being good at what he does.

QFT. I found Takuto really rather adorable, and, well, if I managed to catch me some legendary Pokemon, I think I'd be using them in the league too.

Also, Ash beat more of his Pokemon than anyone else managed, so I felt pretty content with the end result.

I dunno, they must be sort of hard to find. Though I won't doubt that he could have more.

QFT. I found Takuto really rather adorable, and, well, if I managed to catch me some legendary Pokemon, I think I'd be using them in the league too.

Yeah I mean, if you are gifted enough to catch one then you should have the right to use it.

Also, Ash beat more of his Pokemon than anyone else managed, so I felt pretty content with the end result.

Quite a lot of us predicted that he would get beat by the next poké out and instead he drawed with it; I'm content as well.

My point is they shouldn't have gone this way with Takuto, having him sweep all his other opponent.

You have a point if you wanted Takuto vs. Ash to have a closer match up. But I'm okay with that because that established Takuto to be a threat. Someone intimidating. You're not gonna be hyped if he uses other pokemon. And it's not gonna by hyped if you see all his legendaries before hand either. There'd be no surprise factor there. It's like okay, so he Darkrai, Latios, etc. If we know who they are already...it wouldn't be as surprising. I mean how many people have said something along the lines of, "OMG he has a Latios?"

I mean knowing that Takuto was unbeatable, I personally was waiting to see how Ash would deal with such a threat. I was excited to see how Ash could at least beat Takuto's unbeatable pokemon.

If they HAD to have a Darkrai sweeping everyone, the rest of his party could've been very weak. They could've said he only got Darkrai with a Masterball, or that he'd relied on it so much the rest of his party wasn't up to snuff. So, Darkrai beats three of Ash's, then Ash's remaining Pokemon take out several each.

See then that doesn't make sense either imo. While we still don't know much about him and I wish we knew more about him too, there's at least some implication that Takuto's experienced. He seems to know his stuff and has the skills. His other pokemon aren't going to be weak just because he used Darkrai a lot. I expected his other pokemon to be just as strong as Darkrai...which his next pokemon definitely was.

And about him going into the league in the first place since I know some are saying why even battle in the league when you're already that strong...what else is he gonna do? He's a trainer, he's gonna battle. And even if things aren't challenging, there's always that trainer that proves to be something more (i.e. Ash). So why shouldn't Takuto be in a league?

And what if he wants to battle the E4? It's been established you have to beat the league first. So I don't get why people are questioning why Takuto's in this league in the first place.

EDIT: I agree with Iteru and Hestia, if he caught the pokemon, Takuto has a right to use it. He was skilled enough to capture legendaries, skilled enough to train and control them, so he deserves to test such skills in this league.

I also agree that having Ash take down two legendaries in one battle. It's awesome. I mean that just shows how strong Ash has become. I mean a lot of people expected a clean sweep, tying to Darkrai, or losing to the next pokemon. This episode was a step up from a lot of predictions.

I felt that I was trolled when I saw that Latios come out. Still, we know that Pikachu is probably the most elite of Ash's pokemon. Since it beat two legendary pokemon now. And props to Sceptile for being one of the legendary beaters. Always knew Sceptile was one of the GOOD grass types Ash had. (Glares at Torterra and Bayleef))

Entering rant mode...

The craziest part of this battle is how much of it was based around sheer power.

I wouldn't say craziest as much as boring and predictable. I don't know what to say, I don't think I've ever been that angry while watching a pokemon episode. It was just that bad.

When did this become the Rocket show? 7 times... that's the number of times I yelled out, "GET THE FUCK OFF MY SCREEN" during this episode, sometimes followed by a "WHAT ARE YOU STILL HERE?" They need to dig a hole in the ground and stay buried until BW starts for fuck's sake.

Can I just say boring? Ok Heracross comes out. Ice beam and hyperbeam collide... That was in the preview so I was expecting it but at this point you'd think the writers would have moved on past the attack + attack = explosion formula. Then came Dark Void quickly followed by Darkrai DOING NOTHING JUST STANDING THERE. Not even Bad Dreams having an effect, cause this battle couldn't possibly be well written enough to cover Darkrai's ability. What do you get by doing shit Darkrai? Hit with Megahorn, that's what. Then Dream Eater(?) for the OHKO... Oh look Torkoal's sent ou... no it's gone... Wow now I remember why I couldn't bring myself to miss that total lack of personality and uninteresting battler... Seriously, that's it? Those two pokemon were void of anything ressembling personality and get OHKO'd. Meh.

A more positive note(ish...) cause then we have Gible. I gotta say the only real epic moment from the battle against Darkrai came when Gible hit Darkrai with Rock smash. Then great animation of Gible escaping Ice beam, showing a semblance of personality, epic use of Draco Meteor, my interest is rising at this point, I'm getting into the match then... boring OHKO, not even with Ice beam...

Then vice-president of the cheap club walks in. I'm sorry. Even you consider that Darkrai by this point has been hit by two very effective attacks, the way that battle went down was so cheap. Sceptile is put to sleep after getting hit by an Ice beam or two... and a Dream Eater... but he hears Ash's voice, wakes up and defeats Darkrai WHO AGAIN DOES NOTHING... NOOOOOOOTHING. "Hey, those are leaf blades," said Darkrai, "They look like fun things to be repeatedly slashed by... I'll just stand here and take it"

Ok Latios? I don't care, it's cool we haven't seen in a regular episode yet. BUT DAMNIT SWELLOW? SWELLOW? Urgh... that bird is boring as hell and proved it once again, nothing interesting about it. Apparantly did jack at Oak when everyone was training cause... no new attack and OHKO'd... Oh and he's quickly followed by the president of the cheap club, the damned mouse. Seriously, how many hits did he take from effing legendary pokemon. Giga Impact and Luster Purge galore do not stop Pikachu... Then came the thunderbolting while on Latios that went on for days... urgh... Just Ash calling Thunderbolt for like 5 minutes = meh. You know, this is almost Regice all over again... Double KO for that extra bit of cheese.

Then random scenes of Takuto winning the League (They never did get around to give him a personality, a backstory, anything that would make him a remotely interesting character now did they?)

Oh and the goodbye scenes, Brock is suddenly SUDDENLY realize he hasn't done shit in the last 4 years. Barry gets a 5 seconds exit and that's it?

This episode killed me. You know what, if I want to see Torkoal get his ass kicked in the most boring fashion ever, see Sceptile spamming leaf blade like nobody's business, see Swellow just resting on Aerial Ace and Pikachu being a glory hog, I'll rewatch AG. This battle could have been original, could have been different but in the end, it's just more of the same. Writers dropped the ball on that one pure and simple.

Still there was some positives.

- Good animation. In some occasions there was a sense of movement, that made the battle feel remotely more than watching a PBR match. (Gible and Latios, I'm looking at you)
- Gible. Just Gible.
- Barry and Dawn in the stands
- Paul watching the match.

- - - - -

Now that I've gotten this off my chest, I can get back to enjoying this day...

They should have just made him impossibly broken and had him use Arceus.
This reminds me; back when I was (correctly) guess he'd have other Legends, I came up with a rambling story for how it would turn out. This reminds me of it, so I may as well post it for the board.

Like the battle with Drake, Takuto's team suffers heavy damage, leaving Darkrai to sweep most of Ash's team, leaving only Pikachu, who stands no chance...

BUT!

Pikachu reveals...a zipper? Unzipping, it turns out he is actually Arceus! That explains A LOT! In response, Darkrai unzips, revealing him to be a new gen fighting-type legendary!

But wait! Arceus unzips...it's actually Moltres!

Hold it right there, bucko! The new legendary unzips...it's Suicune!

Oh, but what a twist! Moltres unzips..it really IS a Pikachu!

Suicune unzips his final costume!...nothing. It was just a pile of costumes. Having unzipped his final layer, it is unable to battle. Ash wins!

A 20 year old with six legendaries fights a 10 year old with 6 regular Pokemon.

That sure is some deus ex machina shit.

Seriously; I mean geez (from what it sounds like), did Atlus make this episode? XD

I'll rewatch AG.

That's probably another reason of why I liked the match. It was a nice reminder for me about AG seeing Swellow's aerial moves and Sceptile battling. And I'm a fan of AG so...yeah lol.

Sorry you didn't like the episode though.

That episode was just fucking INSANE in so many good ways.

I couldn't tell you how shocked I was when Sceptile defeated Darkrai, only for Takuto to throw Latios. That will be the best battle Ash can ever ask for. Hang 'em up Ash. They won't get better from here on out.

I liked how they reminded us all of just how strong Sceptile is. I just wish Heracross didn't get owned the way it did... then again, Torkoal got the worst of it all.

It is kind of funny how for weeks people were going on and on about the deep importance the Johto Pokemon would play and all the strategies and new moves they'd utilize to take down Darkrai and its hypnosis/dream eater powers, almost as if they had never watched the show before...

Always thought it was weird how much people over thought what any sane person would realize was going to be a quick match, and my feelings were justified.

Gible you didnt like the episode only because pokemon you didn't want were in it. I'm sure if sceptile, swellow and Torkoal weren't in it than you wouldn't be ranting so much. You're just angry that Sceptile was the one to defeat Darkrai and not Gible(no offense but you're turning into scott)

Anyway Latios was a big surprise and also Sceptile being the one to take down Darkrai. I kinda wish we could see what Takuto's third pokemon was gonna be(Latias?) but the fact that Ash managed to defeat two legendaries says a lot about his skill as a trainer

It is kind of funny how for weeks people were going on and on about the deep importance the Johto Pokemon would play and all the strategies and new moves they'd utilize to take down Darkrai and its hypnosis/dream eater powers, almost as if they had never watched the show before...

Yeah, I noticed that people (including myself at one point) were thinking that the Johto pokemon would be perfect.

But that was to counter the sleeping problem. Which wasn't a problem at all for this episode. It was just power and who was stronger. I mean Darkrai itself didn't resort to making Ash's pokemon sleep. It Dark Pulsed Torkoal and Gible and only succeeded with its sleeping tactics against Heracross. Sceptile got out of sleep and won.

Last edited:
I just thought BayLeef might play apart but whatever I'm good with what he did. Might as well throw out all the Pokemon he's got, well nearly. Cuz he didn't use his Kanto Pokemon, that's fine they already had time to shine.

Gible you didnt like the episode only because pokemon you didn't want were in it.

I'll answer you and Ash6k at the same time since I'm lazy. I don't mind the choice in pokemon, I mind that they're boring. Did we anything new from Torkoal or Swellow? Anything we hadn't seen before from those two? Oooooooh and let's not even talk about Sceptile's Leaf Storm that didn't do jack. Seriously, none of those three pokemon showed any kind of personality or anything new techniques wise... so why should I care again?

You're just angry that Sceptile was the one to defeat Darkrai and not Gible

Had Gible defeated Darkrai I would have changed my username, avatar and called it cheap.

the fact that Ash managed to defeat two legendaries says a lot about his skill as a trainer

Notice how little he's involved in the battle when his pokemon defeat legendaries? What kind of strategy did he use in this none. He just called attacks and relied on power? I can get the same thing from watching a PBR battle on youtube...

Hmm, this ep was just soooo boring. Come on, darkrai swept half the team! Overall I say it was the worst possible way they could end the league.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom