• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that need pre evolutions.

Aerodactyl & Lugia

Aerodactyl- maybe. I can see how they'd handle it. I'm not entirely sure that's what I personally want, but if GF does it then it's fine by me.

Lugia- no. They wouldn't do it. Lugia is legendary, and they don't do prevos for legendaries. Even if they did, they'd have to give Ho-oh one too.

Now, a prevo for Meditite? That might be pretty cool. It could get people to use Medicham more often. It's fallen out of favor with the fans, and a prevo could help.

Last edited:
...why does anything need a pre-evolution?

I know this is a rhetorical question, but the answer is basically marketing.

Pokémon isn't just a video game anymore. It started with one, but it's now an anime, a trading card game, various manga and other mediums. So it's only natural that they create characters that aren't that good in the video game, but may be a very appealing character in the anime or make an amazing card in the card game. With Japan being what it is, they love cute things, "chibi" things. So we end up with baby forms of certain Pokémon. I suspect that the video game forces the player to have to deal with a baby form because, surprise, an amazing move that the evolved form can benefit from can only be obtained if you use this baby Pokémon with awful stats.

Actually, I still remember when Munchlax was whored out as a marketing tool in the pre-DP era of the advanced generation. It's face was everywhere: It got a prominent role in a movie where it did virtually nothing but eat garbage and provided a stepping stone, it got caught by the cute girl and was used alot by her. But by the time DP came around, it was dropped like a hot potato in favor of newer characters.

That being said, I really don't like the idea of giving Gen V Pokémon pre-evolutions, or for that matter, evolutions or alternate evolutions to exactly mirror their previous gen cousins. What makes them unique is that they're using a "gimmick" that used to be used by a previous Pokémon but got abandoned over the years. Audino may have taken up Chansey's Gen I role for Gen V, but it would be unoriginal if it was given an evolution or a baby form to mirror Chansey exactly. However, I wouldn't mind if they took them in new directions. But I'm drawing a blank on what can be done because apart from their shallow movepools, most of the Gen V Pokémon are amazing compared to Pokémon from previous generations.

@PDL
You can answer anything by saying "it sells"

That wasn't what that statement was about. What exactly do any of these pre-evolutions add to the new evolutions? The only thing I can see it being useful is to attach two related lines together. None of the pre-evolutions really added much in terms of the family's background. Like you said, they were there to be cute.

I can argue back that new Pokemon sell new generations, so they can focus on creating new-generation cute Pokemon. Cute-marketing isn't restricted to pre-evolution, and given what sells in this franchise (i.e. new Pokemon) there's actually no reason other than to pander to the bases you already have.

Also, your explanation of babies in-game had already been noted by me in that post you quoted. They force us to have the babies because, as you say "surprise" they have useful moves? The useful moves were given to them, rather than added to the already-existing Pokemon's movelist/breeding list as justification for their existence. Sounding like a broken record, but framed that way, the Pokemon took away from its evolution by creating an unnecessary step.

Last edited:
I know you covered it with the "attaching two lines together", but I think at least in the case of Tyrogue that's a big deal.

Sure, there are plenty others that didn't add ANYTHING, but flat-out stating that preevolutions don't add anything would be incorrect. Even if they don't add anything for the meta-game they could potentially enrich the concept of the pokemon itself.

Like, Mantyke. I consider that to be a failed experiment of something that could've been quite cool and would have expanded the concept with its unique evolution method. Don't ask me HOW exactly, I'm no designer, but altering the formula leaves room for a lot of potential. Unfortunately they didn't use it and it ended up pointless.

And this doesn't mean a preevolution has to be something crazy to add something. A simple level evolution would work, just if the new pokemon is handled well on its own.
For example: Let's just say a Scyther preevolution. Pure bug that has the "roughly similar (if slightly lower) stats but distributed differently" deal of its evolutions. You need whatever dumb method to obtain it, and I guess it can learn different moves. That adds another entry to a line in a perfectly legit way that stands on its own (regardless of how that'd actually work out, again I'm no designer and this was supposed to be a simple example)

There is also the comment about "taking a move from its evolution". Yes, the moves were given to them as a justification for their existence. If you look closely, almost every single lower stage pokemon at least learns moves far earlier than their evolutions, and some have very different movepools. Surely enough these moves shouldn't be the sole reason the lower stage pokemon exist, but it is something plenty of them need to a different extent to become individual enough from its relatives.

tl;dr I see anything needing a preevolution as much as anything needs an evolution: they don't really. But if they do make the actual pokemon with a good enough reason to belong in that line at that point, I don't see why anything should not have one either.

But, disregarding all that, the way they have handled previous preevolutions was mostly disappointing.

i think a preevolution tangela would be cute ^^

tangul10.jpg
Definitely.

This Smeargle pre evo looks cool too:
Smearpaw_by_orohnpokemon.jpg

Last edited:
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUTEEEEEEE!!!! >.< ♥♥♥

No more Pokemon needs pre-evolutions in my opinion. I find them unecessary and pointless.

Last edited:
In the case of Kangaskhan, I just want some closure on how the baby freaking pops out of nowhere when it's hatched

This Smeargle pre evo looks cool too:
Smearpaw_by_orohnpokemon.jpg

I think the Smeargle pre evo does look cute but why would we need it? Smeargle can already learn any move by using Sketch. Most pre evos can know moves which their evolved forms can't learn by level up or normally like Smoochum can learn Confusion and Psychic by level up, Pichu can learn Volt Tackle and Sweet Kiss and Munchlax can learn Swallow, Stockpile, Last Resort and Metronome, there should be more but I think that is enough to mention in this post.

Scyther. Only because Scyther is COMPLETELY BROKEN in LC. Seriously. Look at them stats. Does that look like LC at all especially with the 500 BST?

Most pre evos can know moves which their evolved forms can't learn by level up or normally like Smoochum can learn Confusion and Psychic by level up

If GF want to include new ones they'll do it. Adding new moves is just an excuse. Smeargle's pre-evo could get its own move, even if Smeargle could just Sketch it (Mantyke gets Sugnal Beam when Mantine learns it via Move Tutor).

I actually came across a better Smeargle pre-evo (imo) than the one earlier, I'll see if I can find it.

GW500H500

Link: http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/f424MdCsVMHs5Fmygjs1JQ78219/GW500H500

I don't know who to give credit to, because I typed it in google (I can't remember where I first saw it because it was years ago... so yeah).

Scyther. Only because Scyther is COMPLETELY BROKEN in LC. Seriously. Look at them stats. Does that look like LC at all especially with the 500 BST?

Scyther's banned in LC.

Here's another that I like:

Edit: I just noticed this was posted earlier in the thread, so ignore this lol.

Tangulb_by_PokePages.jpg

Credit: Pokedex by PokePages on deviantART

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom