• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Gen VI features do you expect to be kept in Gen VII?

Personally, I hope every single bottom screen feature returns in Gen VII, just with minor improvements. The PSS, Amie, Super Training, and other features found on the bottom screen in ORAS like the DexNav, are to me some of the most important features that simply must be kept. Same goes for character customization. But we all know how GF can be when it comes to features. :/

Hmm. I think if Amie doesn't return then Eevee will get some kind of item that lets it evolve into Sylveon without Amie. It happened for Feebas, so it's a fair assumption that it could happen for Eevee.

Outside of NPCs that were specifically tied to the storyline, I don't think anyone even mentions mega evolution, much less that Mega Evolution is the be all end all thing. Even then, those NPCs usually talk about how mysterious it is and how its a bond between trainer and pokemon, not so much that it's necessary to win or is all that and a can of beans (except maybe the Delta episode since you need Mega Rayquaza). On the whole I think Mega Evolution is much less 'necessary' or 'forced' than Legendaries are. If you want to win in VGC you basically have to have a few legendaries on the team. You could win without Mega Evolution.

@Matleo, I was talking more like a story choice, not a meta choice.

Like sure, there are pokemon that neutralize the mega abilities and stats and what not. But story wise even if you use those pokemon you'll still have NPCs telling you that Mega evolution is the beat all end all, how you must go through the tower of mastery quest, and using them to beat your pokemon to a bloody pulp. There should be an option where you can choose to use megas or not and the NPCs respect that choice and you know, not force you into using a mechanic you don't want or not care about.
you can chose to not use it, but you need to live with it that other can use it and that your oponents use it. Its like using your full potential. Not like Wonder Guard hack. And it is limited to the special uniqe pokemon you choose.

Last edited:
If people don't want to use Mega Evolution, then that's their choice. Just like how every other battle mechanic is optional. I think it's important to expect that it will return (though in my belief, I don't think it will be expanded upon), but you're not forced to use it. If they don't want to embrace it, let them.

That said, XY didn't force anyone to use it. There was a strong emphasis on it, but that's mainly because it was an all-new feature and mechanic that needed a strong introduction. Kind of like how Prof. Elm's egg errand was key to the beginning plot - but you're not forced to breed Pokemon. You're not even required to hatch Togepi's egg. Major new features need an introduction, but it doesn't mean you absolutely must use it.

Heck, I don't even think the Battle Chatelaines use a single Mega Evolution between all four of them, even though you'd think that an end boss for a battle facility would take full advantage of it! They're usually teams of pseudo-Legendaries and legal Legendaries by the time you reach Super.

Personally, I hope every single bottom screen feature returns in Gen VII, just with minor improvements. The PSS, Amie, Super Training, and other features found on the bottom screen in ORAS like the DexNav, are to me some of the most important features that simply must be kept.
And the Poketch stuff. Hopefully you meant this implicitly, but just in case, assume this thread's name is "What previous gen features to you want to keep/return in Gen 7", (can someone rename it pls, there's so much more to talk about this way)
I hope we get bottom screen features the Poketch had back. Sure, keep Amie, Super Training, PSS and all the PokeNav apps, but there were some awesome Apps in Poketch that are really useful. The day care status one, how likely two Pokemon are to breed, type effectiveness (I used it surprisingly more than I thought I would, even though the internet existed), the steps counter (egg hatching is better when I have some estimate to how long it will take steps-wise), a map , the notepad, the friendship checker, berry checker , and I think that's most of them. Sure, there were some that I don't think are especially useful and they just put in their for fun (roulette?), but all that other stuff is pretty useful.

*Note: I haven't played ORAS, so some of the stuff I mentioned might also exist as apps on ORAS (but I've heard it still doesn't have as many features).

EDIT: removed ORAS features, thanks @TouyaShiro

Last edited:
The map's included as the AreaNav app on PokéNav Plus, @Phoenixon. It tracks berries, trainers and Super Secret Bases in addition to allowing you to fly straight to a destination should you have a Pokémon with Fly in your party (without having to open the HM menu). Other than that, the PokéNav Plus doesn't have much of the stuff that the Pokétch does.

I really only wish for Hordes, the PSS, Super Training, Amie, and DexNav to make a comeback, off the top of my head.

I personally really enjoyed PR Videos and would love to see them comeback, though I know it's super unlikely.

I'm also not really a fan of the Gen 6 EXP Share and do wish they could go back to the older version, just personally, but this is minor.

I like the ExpAll from gen 6 but I think you shouldn't get it until after you beat all the gym leaders. Between your last badge and the Elite4 sounds about right. So you have it to help train for the Elite4 if you need it, but it doesn't make the gyms too easy. Like, maybe you get the regular ExpShare that shares exp with one pokemon early, but after your last badge someone upgrades it to the ExpAll for you.

When it comes to the Pokedex.. as an artist I would like if they kept the ability to rotate the pokemon models underneath like you could in XY, and the ability to pause the animations like you can in ORAS
Why was the rotating the Pokemon from underneath not included in ORAS, actually? They already had it done in XY, so, why wasn´t it just copy pasted in ORAS? Maybe it somehow interfered with the animations feature that ORAS added? That´s the only reason I can think of...
And, not a returning feature, but they should add zooming in/out
That was already in ORAS, actually.

Last edited:
I like the ExpAll from gen 6 but I think you shouldn't get it until after you beat all the gym leaders. Between your last badge and the Elite4 sounds about right. So you have it to help train for the Elite4 if you need it, but it doesn't make the gyms too easy. Like, maybe you get the regular ExpShare that shares exp with one pokemon early, but after your last badge someone upgrades it to the ExpAll for you.

But when you can turn the Exp Share on/off at any time I don't really see what differences this makes personally. In XY you get it after gym 1, so you could turn it off for the game until after gym 8 where you can turn it on for the Elite 4 again. The point you're given it doesn't really change that.

The only thing I can think of is if people don't know you could turn it off and then complain about the difficulty being too easy and ending up overlevelled, but that could easily be noted when you obtain the item that it's possible to turn it off.

While I'm here I will say that I do think Amie will stay. I know there's people that think it could be removed, but I think it's the sort of thing they would want to improve upon in future games and it keeps the feeling that your Pokemon aren't just these machines for battling.

I like the current Exp Share. In gen 5 and under, it was a pain to trained up pokemon one at a time (for me personally). Thanks to gen 6, I never have to have trouble training my team. So I love to see gen 6 Exp Share return in my personal opinion.

A way to make everyone happy would be to allow for 5/6 Exp. Shares to be available in the game, so yo can choose how much of you team can train. It suits everybody.

This. Sometimes it's convenient to train all 6 Pokémon at once, sometimes it isn't. For example when you have traded Pokémon on your team or you just want to train a newly caught Pokémon without overleveling the others.

Maybe we could get a new Exp. Share after each gym? Would be a nice reward.

Though there's the problem that you'll have to sacrifice the item slot for the Exp. Share, but I honestly think sacrifices should be made for easy leveling like that.

This. Sometimes it's convenient to train all 6 Pokémon at once, sometimes it isn't. For example when you have traded Pokémon on your team or you just want to train a newly caught Pokémon without overleveling the others.

Maybe we could get a new Exp. Share after each gym? Would be a nice reward.

Though there's the problem that you'll have to sacrifice the item slot for the Exp. Share, but I honestly think sacrifices should be made for easy leveling like that.
In addition, why not have the Exp. All and the Exp. Share work together? Basically, have the Exp. All only level up the party members holding an Exp. Share. It allows you to easily control which members of your party gain experience as to not over-level one team member over the other just because a member is new!

Five to six Exp. Shares at once? Geez, that seems like a pain to manage, depending on whether or not they're held items or Key items instead - I certainly don't want to miss out on using Mega Evolutions and the like for the sake of experience.

Instead of managing all those items, you could just have the option of choosing how many Pokemon are affected by the Exp Share instead of simply turning it on or off. Within the item's sub-menu would be the option to pick which Pokemon currently in your party to be affected, or make it so that the first number of Pokemon in the party are the ones affected. Example, you want to train 3 Pokemon, not 6, so you put the 3 you want to train in the first 3 slots of your party so they'll get the Exp. If you didn't want to use it at all, you could just turn it back off.

That seems ideal. It probably won't happen, but hey, we can dream...
I'd see it being useful for my training in particular, especially since sometimes I don't want the rest of my party to level up.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom