• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I Doubt Gamefreak Will Make All 3 Return Probably The Reason They Didn't Remove Megaz In Gen 7 Is You Can Only Have Mega or Z-Moves On A Pokemon
I never once said it was possible, only that I would like to see it. Also, would you please let people make their dang posts in peace? You don't have to reply to literally every single little thing anyone ever says ever. Again, this is the UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread.

I Liek To Call It Unpleasant

I Don't Think They Deserve Megas

Well sweetheart, good thing it's the UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread ain't it?

Don't be unpleasant for people to be around either, since you tend to be like that everywhere that you post, okay? Friendly advice :giggle:

I think the regional variant evolutions are a bittersweet addition to the franchise. While it is cool to see the regional variants mechanic expanded upon, and I like the idea of differing evolutionary paths, it just sucks that the regular base form doesn't gain anything from these evolutions. For example, Sirfetch'd is nice and all, but it's disappointing that Kantonian Farfetch'd will never reap the benefits, especially considering I think the reason it got both a variant and evolution was due to how underpowered it is.

Wait, why do Pokemon need megas to be made better competitively? Couldn't they just buff the Pokemon normally. Just like they nerfed Talonflame.

Wait, why do Pokemon need megas to be made better competitively? Couldn't they just buff the Pokemon normally. Just like they nerfed Talonflame.

Well, they DID gave some of them like an 10-20 BST buff in gen 6 I believe?? But it IS a big difference to give a mon 10 points more than 100 like megas do, besides maybe a new typing and a different ability that could make them more viable? That does helps too.

I think the regional variant evolutions are a bittersweet addition to the franchise. While it is cool to see the regional variants mechanic expanded upon, and I like the idea of differing evolutionary paths, it just sucks that the regular base form doesn't gain anything from these evolutions. For example, Sirfetch'd is nice and all, but it's disappointing that Kantonian Farfetch'd will never reap the benefits, especially considering I think the reason it got both a variant and evolution was due to how underpowered it is.
Yeah, I do think they are a nice way to ''breathe new life'' into an older mon and all, but it DOES sucks a bit that a lot of them won't be getting new, regular evos like in the ''gen 4'' way, u know?

Alolan Raichu is cool and all, but regular Raichu still isn't good which sucks. Imagine being forever overshadowed by your pre-evolution, even ignoring it being the mascot of the entire franchise.

Alolan Raichu is cool and all, but regular Raichu still isn't good which sucks. Imagine being forever overshadowed by your pre-evolution, even ignoring it being the mascot of the entire franchise.
This is why I do think that, at least to a certain degree, the TPC does resents making Raichu a thing. Not in a way of them hating it, but more in a sense that since Pikachu is already so popular and is the mascot, they sort of don't REALLY need Raichu, u know? I do believe that if they had knew that Pikachu would be that popular, they wouldn't have created it at all. Which sucks, since I do love it.

Least they could do is give it a new move or two. You know, so that it can actually have moves outside of TMs. Or maybe a stat buff.

Blue Is Overrated. He Just Taunts You And Does Nothing Else Even Though You Beat Him 1000 Times And You Are The Better Trainer. Well At Least he Is Better Than TRACE Oh Wait This Is The Controversial Opinion Thread

I guess my controversial opinion is that it's fine if some Pokémon suck. Personally, my liking of a Pokémon has never been conditional on its viability in battle.

I'll admit I don't see the point in, like, giving Unown access to nothing besides Hidden Power, but overall I think it's nice to have some perpetually low- to mid-range Pokémon, because then you've got underdogs, and it can be fun to find ways of using them creatively instead of relying on the most powerful options.

I'll admit I don't see the point in, like, giving Unown access to nothing besides Hidden Power,
That's the point. There is no point. Unown is designed specifically to be almost as useless as Magikarp and exist pretty much purely as a catch em all within a catch em all game.

Now if only we could gather a whole bunch together Zygarde style. Then its overpoweredville here we come.

That's the point. There is no point. Unown is designed specifically to be almost as useless as Magikarp and exist pretty much purely as a catch em all within a catch em all game.

Now if only we could gather a whole bunch together Zygarde style. Then its overpoweredville here we come.

But even Magikarp's uselessness has a thematic purpose. The idea is that it starts off pathetic, but with persistence and diligent training, it can unlock tremendous power.

You could still have the Unown be a catch-em-all game while at least giving them a few moves, even if they were just weak-to-average ones like Confusion or Psybeam. Their one-move learnset doesn't inform their collectible aspect in any way. You could argue that Vivillon, Minior, and/or Alcremie are all collectibles too, but none of them are anywhere near as lacking in the move department as Unown, and yet that doesn't interfere with them being collectible.

And on a tangential note, wouldn't it make more sense to offer some kind of reward for collecting all of the Unown, so that the player has an incentive to do so beyond claiming some "look how much time I wasted" bragging rights? That reward doesn't even have to be "more power," just something interesting. I honestly don't mind the idea of the Unown not being good in battle, but it just seems like their gimmick is poorly designed altogether, and lacks a coherent vision.

Last edited:
To be fair, the Pokemon you mentioned were all introduced years and generations after Unown. Maybe Game Freak learned from their mistakes but also doesn't care enough about Unown to update it. I know I don't.

Would anyone actually be excited about any of these? I mean, I get your point but would you or me or anyone actually be excited about Mega Granbull or Mega Purugly (I'll give you Mismagius, though. It sounds like it might have a damn cool Mega).

I'll give you the Charizard and Mewtwo having too Megas things too. Nobody even pays attention to Mega Charizard Y anyways (even though I think Ash should have gotten a Charizard Y Mega Stone and had a Charizard v Charizard battle with Alain). Likewise with Mewtwo X (though at least Pokken gave it recognition).

I personally actually prefer Mega Mewtwo X in terms of design.

Strictly speaking, soaring was kind of a workaround to a field move (since it relied on a key item instead), and I think it could come back in some way even if nothing like the traditional field moves does. LGPE demonstrated one possible method (linking it to specific Pokémon being set as your follower).

Not that I think it will come back anytime soon, but hypothetically I could see it.
Strictly speaking yes. But it's more that Gen VII had few and Gen VIII had none in terms of overworld puzzles, which is ultimately what field moves are for

Back
Top Bottom