• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Yes, but it was definitely more noticeable in 2d than 3d even if it was similar
View attachment 186924View attachment 186923

Really it's the jump to HD that's hurt the most. Thanks to an expanded color palette and realistic shading, some of the similar colored shinies like Glaceon go from being largely similar to nearly impossible to tell apart. There's been some instances where I have to stare at the overworld Pokemon for a good 5+ seconds to figure out "Wait, is this actually a shiny?". Definitely needs to be addressed. I think some of the shiny colors need retconning.

i'm not against the games being 3d, but it would be nice to have 2d games once in a while. the success of games such as undertale and omori prove that games with 8bit graphics can be super popular, but since this is pokemon i doubt we'll see a 2d main series game again
while i won't deny that those games are successful for what they are, their sales still pale in comparison to what the average pokémon game sells so you really can't use them as proof that 'games with 8bit graphics can be super popular'

like there's a reason why (for the most part) bigger companies aren't making 8-bit and 16-bit styled games these days, it's because a lot of consumers, unfortunately, view that style as being outdated and 'cheap'

they're fricking wrong btw

while i won't deny that those games are successful for what they are, their sales still pale in comparison to what the average pokémon game sells so you really can't use them as proof that 'games with 8bit graphics can be super popular'

like there's a reason why (for the most part) bigger companies aren't making 8-bit and 16-bit styled games these days, it's because a lot of consumers, unfortunately, view that style as being outdated and 'cheap'

they're fricking wrong btw
While that's true of Omori, Undertale has been an incredible hit. There isn't great data on how much it's made, the Steam version alone has made an incredible $87.5 Million! That's actually more money than the original Pokemon Red and Green made.

Undertale has no good figures for console sales, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that its overall sales have been on-par with some of the less-well-preforming Pokémon games.

Of course, that's still far less money than modern Pokemon games make. But impressive nonetheless!

That all being said I still don't think a 2D Pokemon game would make much money in this day and age.

While that's true of Omori, Undertale has been an incredible hit. There isn't great data on how much it's made, the Steam version alone has made an incredible $87.5 Million! That's actually more money than the original Pokemon Red and Green made.
i wasn't talking about how much money they made lol, i was rather talking about like copies sold (i know omori has sold at least 1 million copies and undertale has definitely sold several million copies, i think steam is estimated to be a few million at least so you know, still impressive)

aslo that $87.5 million is only an estimate

also also while we don't have estimate gross revenue for the original red and green only, it's estimated that red, green, and blue had a gross revenue of $1.2 billion (nintendo obviously just combines the sales for all versions in all regions)

(although as a bit of quick math - while i still can't specifically separate the sales for just red and green, red, green, and blue sold 10.23 million copies in japan. using the VG sales average RGB price of US$40.50, that means the original games made an estimated US$414.3 million in gross revenue in japan)

$87.5 million is still an impressive amount of money but undertale very much did not make more money than the original games did in japan.

That all being said I still don't think a 2D Pokemon game would make much money in this day and age.
Are you sure? Pokemon still sold incredibly well into the 3D era of gaming. Sure, it got less popular around the GBA era, but i'll argue that had nothing to do with 2D and more to do with the franchise getting less popular because it was "no longer cool to like it", specially if you were still in school and it was seen as kid stuff.

I'd be honestly surprised if a traditional 2D mainline title didn't sell incredibly well. Really all they need to do is do the usual stuff like new pokemon, new mechanics and QoL, and the mainline games basically sell themselves.

Are you sure? Pokemon still sold incredibly well into the 3D era of gaming. Sure, it got less popular around the GBA era, but i'll argue that had nothing to do with 2D and more to do with the franchise getting less popular because it was "no longer cool to like it", specially if you were still in school and it was seen as kid stuff.

I'd be honestly surprised if a traditional 2D mainline title didn't sell incredibly well. Really all they need to do is do the usual stuff like new pokemon, new mechanics and QoL, and the mainline games basically sell themselves.
I think at this point many casual consumers would see it as a step back.

And still buy it anyway. Many people, even in this forum, buy pokemon games because it says pokemon in the title.
Oh I agree, plenty of people would still buy it (including me, I imagine). But I'd imagine not enough to make it as profitable as a usual Pokemon game.

i think it really doesn't matter what the pokemon company does with their games. people will buy them regardless because it's pokemon.
All Pokemon games will sell well, I agree. But I think a return to 2D would sell significantly less well than a 3D title, and I don't think the investors want that.

The GBA games were from 20+ years ago in an era where having 2D games on handhelds was still considered the norm due to the inherent lack of power in a handheld console vs a home console (remember all of the mainline GBA Pokémon games had their original Japanese release dates prior to the release of Nintendo DS and the PSP, which is where I would say that 3D graphics on a handheld went from 'OMG this is so amazing how did they do this?' like the handful of 3D GBA games were to just a normal thing because the new generation of handhelds had hardware specifically for fully 3D games).

You really can't compare that to nowadays.

idk if this is a controversial opinion, but Drayton's trial sucks. Don't make me grind up a whole new squad just for 3 traines.
I liked it 'cause if forced me to use some Pokemon that I otherwise wouldn't have used. I'm glad it was only three trainers so I didn't have to worry too much about movesets or EVs.

A monobiome 2hd game will never happen. The presence of 20 years 3D assets means pokemon is 3D to stay. Also a good 90% of the problems with the art style would go away if they just had a more dynamic camera.

The demands for a full China, Australia, India region is kind of insensitive or reductive. Try just Yunnan, Tasmania, Uttar Pradesh. Even Paldea paid some homage to just how diverse Spain and Portugal are (Spain is natively multiethnic with several provinces having completely different languages) though this is more physical than cultural (the equivalent of the basque country is really snowy, the equivalent of aragon is largely a desert, etc.)

The next pokemon game after LGZA will be, if LGZA is indeed an immersive sim, the glitchiest pokemon game imaginable. GF would have severe difficulty trying to get physics objects to operate at all. ArmA physics jank will be functional in comparison.

I liked it 'cause if forced me to use some Pokemon that I otherwise wouldn't have used. I'm glad it was only three trainers so I didn't have to worry too much about movesets or EVs.
sure but the only new indigo disk pokemon that are avaliable at that point in the game are 1. an evolution of pokemon from Kitakami & 2. Archaludon. you're probably not gonna use new pokemon so much as gravitate to pokemon you already used in past gens (if you're even interested in past gen mons at all)
he demands for a full China, Australia, India region is kind of insensitive or reductive.
I've said it before and i'll say it again China & India with 1.4 billion people each probably suffer from this problem in a way that the country with only 0.026 billion doesn't

sure but the only new indigo disk pokemon that are avaliable at that point in the game are 1. an evolution of pokemon from Kitakami & 2. Archaludon. you're probably not gonna use new pokemon so much as gravitate to pokemon you already used in past gens (if you're even interested in past gen mons at all)
Yeah but it's just for a few battles. I don't mind using some old-gen Pokemon, especially just for a few battles.

Back
Top Bottom