• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

White/Black = Terrible Names?

I thought I was going to learn some new words out of the new versions (I didn't know the words for R/S/E/Pt) but not this time XD

we got the names yesterdayand there are already people complaining?

whats up fandom?Black and white are meaningless concepts for us right know until we know what the games are about.They are just tittles.

The names are quite sleek and simple. Nothing wrong with that. Gosh, it is just the youngsters who dislike "Black" and "White", isn't it? ;A; I feel old. Excuse me while I go grab my cane...

I'm with ya. No veteran would dare dislike black and white after havin grown up with red, blue, yeller, and green.

I'm with ya. No veteran would dare dislike black and white after havin grown up with red, blue, yeller, and green.

This

For younger kids it's easier to pronounce for them than Diamond,Platinum, and even Sapphire, and it makes them easier to identify with them. Squirts don't know much about the differences in blues like Sapphire, Blue, and Diamon, all of which have a blue color. They don't really know what Platinum is,usually. But black and white are basic 'colors' they will recognize easily after learning how to read and ,of course, knowing their colors.

Yeah,sure whatever, blahblahracistblahblah. I am half-black and don't really care, but it's nice to have a simpler title for the games again.

i actually enjoy the simplicity of them. and they seem...idk, more mature. even the logos seem more teen-targeting.

plus, i'm a sucker for checkered patterns.

I like the new names! Think about it Black and white are like the beginning of other colours! Its not all about the names who knows what kind of digital effects and new pokemon await in the games!

These names are original, nostalgic, classic and classy and hip. I love them!

This. And I waited for them 10 years. Curiously, when they first announced GenV back in January, my best friend told me joking: "They owe us the Black&White names, if they don't give them to us and go with the weird gems naming again, then screw them". And I agreed. So this was exactly what I wanted.

This all the way.... and I'm only 20. *walks away from computer to grab my cane* DAMN, MY BACK!!

I'm twenty-three, I don't even need a cane... but a wheelchair!! Where have all the good times gone? *sobs*

Last edited:
This all the way.... and I'm only 20. *walks away from computer to grab my cane* DAMN, MY BACK!!

This brings up a good point. It appears we age quicker nowadays. I'm 18, and my back has been killing me lately. [The cause is probably from a muscle-strain, but it goes along with the point. :p]

However... It's hard to imagine that 13 years ago I was playing Blue. Time flies. =/

I really like the names. They're so simple (as everyone has said) and it reminds me of the first gen games. I'm pretty happy with them tbh.

This brings up a good point. It appears we age quicker nowadays. I'm 18, and my back has been killing me lately. [The cause is probably from a muscle-strain, but it goes along with the point. :p]

However... It's hard to imagine that 13 years ago I was playing Blue. Time flies. =/

I'm only 23 and have already started going bald. Stupid genes. But yeah, times flies so fast when you enjoy it. I still consider the Pokémon franchise a "newer" one.

No, I actually like the names. They are simple, like most have said and I prefer the more simple names.

And to the people suggesting nintendo should alter the names when it gets localized here, don't be freaking ridiculous. They will not change the names just because a group of people will interpret it wrong and be offended.

idk if that was directed toward me or not, but either way i dont think anyone is saying they will or should change the names. i was just saying that i had a bad feeling they might, considering how many posts i saw about racism and stuff around here and elsewhere. i'm hoping they won't change it, i love the names, just saying considering there are possible alternatives for the title, then the possibility for them to change the titles isnt out of the question.

maybe we should just stop talking about the whole racism thing altogether. it's obviously not the real issue, no one is taking offense to it, and those who do are idiots.

there is one thing i'm worried about though... the worst of all of the possible causes for a name change...
concerned parents... *shudders*

New Bulbanews article months from now? "Black and White versions to be renamed 'African-American' and 'Pale' versions in the US"

But seriously, I like the names. I dunno why but they just seem like Pokémon sort of names. I guess because they're the obvious opposite colours. Anyways, aren't the names usually the english word in Japan? Like HGSS were called 'Heart Gold' and 'Soul Silver', not Japanese names meaning the same? Because if that's true, the names aren't that simple and boring at all. They're foreign and interesting.

How are these in any way terrible names!? Black and White have been the obvious step in the color cycle ever since Pocket Monsters 2 was announced, and that ended up being Gold and Silver- we finally have closure with the name that us older fans have waited for what seemed like an eternity, and they are the PERFECT contrast. Red and Blue/Green made sense as opposites, Gold and Silver worked together because those are the generic two top metals, but after that it was left to what sounded right together and not logical clashing. Precious gemstones could go in any order whatsoever, but finally, FINALLY, we have returned to the clash.

B&W FTW

idk if that was directed toward me or not, but either way i dont think anyone is saying they will or should change the names. i was just saying that i had a bad feeling they might, considering how many posts i saw about racism and stuff around here and elsewhere. i'm hoping they won't change it, i love the names, just saying considering there are possible alternatives for the title, then the possibility for them to change the titles isnt out of the question.

maybe we should just stop talking about the whole racism thing altogether. it's obviously not the real issue, no one is taking offense to it, and those who do are idiots.

there is one thing i'm worried about though... the worst of all of the possible causes for a name change...
concerned parents... *shudders*

I think you guys are worrying over nothing. I've yet to see anyone have a problem with it. Black or White.

New Bulbanews article months from now? "Black and White versions to be renamed 'African-American' and 'Pale' versions in the US"

But seriously, I like the names. I dunno why but they just seem like Pokémon sort of names. I guess because they're the obvious opposite colours. Anyways, aren't the names usually the english word in Japan? Like HGSS were called 'Heart Gold' and 'Soul Silver', not Japanese names meaning the same? Because if that's true, the names aren't that simple and boring at all. They're foreign and interesting.

Pfft. African-American and Caucasian versions is what you mean.

I like the names, to be honest, I was expecting 2 Pokemon main series games to be called 'Black and White' for the past years.

Now, I draw the line at 'Salt and Pepper', 'Circle and Square', and 'Short and Tall' or anything like that lol^^

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom