• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia The Pokemon Starters Mafia (Mafia Wins)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here as well, a bit under the weather atm so I might not be very active, but I'm reading through.

@Zexy; Imo it can help distinguish motivations and help clear up what is being said/done, but I admit that is a tad of a stretch. In the big scheme of things scum are still left without commenting/contributing, and with that said I think it'd be best for me to take a step back and wait for more to happen, as any more discussion now will most likely lead to over-complication and redundancy.
Thing is, this game is NOC and everyone's vanilla for now so reading people has to be done the tone-ready way almost exclusively until we get some flips and potentiall town-town, town-scum, scum-scum connections. So I'd rather place more significance to those kinds of interactions HD/Mido are pulling off. Mido showed to be really good at it in The 100. Human idk, has been an awesome scum player (which is always worrying) but has more experience with OC.

@Zexy HD and I are without a doubt active players. And that is a necessity with some of the others. It may seem we're monopolizing, but I know for a fact that HD is like me- We absolutely hate lack of conversation because it does nothing and just hurts later on. I'm also off today so I have PC access like all day. Same with tomorrow. But most of all only a few of us are active, and if we don't push then people get by on nothing.

Also Human has plenty of experience with NOC. I've played a few pure vanilla games with him. So don't go underestimating him.

I don't necessarily think it's fair to say we were trying to monopolize the conversation more than it is to say that we were just the most talkative players on. I also think it's fairly typical of HD and Midorikawa to question little things/play-style differences, however, that could be more of a feeling than it is quantifiable truth. Also, I'm now remembering that Hellcrow showed up but didn't really say too much...
That's how I make sure you don't get away with anything :p

Life said:
Continuing with your point though, Zexy, about M*13. I think he's acting very typical of a first time player and don't find him suspicious, at least at the moment. In regards to Pikochu I have no read/opinion on him yet. His original point is a town thing to say but it could always be him trying to look town, so you never know.
Agreed. It doesn't excuse Mr. Delicious later on, but it's true that he really seems like a player that has no idea what he's doing. And also agreed on Piko. However it is of course points in his favor.

@Zexy HD and I are without a doubt active players. And that is a necessity with some of the others. It may seem we're monopolizing, but I know for a fact that HD is like me- We absolutely hate lack of conversation because it does nothing and just hurts later on. I'm also off today so I have PC access like all day. Same with tomorrow. But most of all only a few of us are active, and if we don't push then people get by on nothing.

Also Human has plenty of experience with NOC. I've played a few pure vanilla games with him. So don't go underestimating him.
Fair points about both of your playstyles. I just think that too much conversation sometimes brings the opposite results.

Guess that's from the much older days of TWR. And of course I'd never make the mistake of underestimating Human, better not count the times he's fooled me as scum.

Thing is, this game is NOC and everyone's vanilla for now so reading people has to be done the tone-ready way almost exclusively until we get some flips and potentiall town-town, town-scum, scum-scum connections. So I'd rather place more significance to those kinds of interactions HD/Mido are pulling off. Mido showed to be really good at it in The 100. Human idk, has been an awesome scum player (which is always worrying) but has more experience with OC.

NOC? (Non-open concept?) And I wasn't around the The 100 mafia so I'm not too sure how that played out. :v

About connections, well, it's up the air for everyone, I think. The only thing I feel confident in saying (and was going to say before but didn't necessarily see a need to) was that I'm fairly confident you and rMCH are not both scum, as I don't think it's how you two would be interacting if you were.

NOC? (Non-open concept?) And I wasn't around the The 100 mafia so I'm not too sure how that played out. :v

About connections, well, it's up the air for everyone, I think. The only thing I feel confident in saying (and was going to say before but didn't necessarily see a need to) was that I'm fairly confident you and rMCH are not both scum, as I don't think it's how you two would be interacting if you were.
NOC = No Outside Contact. Which means no PMs (or private massclaim as was usual in TWR for a long while).
All you need to know about The 100 Mafia is that Mido was scum and tricked me (and everyone) very well :)

It's not easy to see connections this early, but excluding scum-scum indeed looks like the easiest.

Considering compared to the old days, you can't even always tell scum interacting with scum. I've gone head to head with my scumbuddies a few times before. Which will be good to keep in mind since usually people only look at positive interactions when scumhunting after catching scum. That and no interaction.

UNVOTE: HELLCROW
I honestly forgot I still had my vote on him amidst all this talk about joke votes
as I stated before, I really hate more than one joke vote on someone, (and even one tends to get to me if that's who the vote is on at least)
now that the thread has been serious for a while now, it's time to let that remaining joke go and focus it on someone else who potentially needs the vote.

Alright. Here's what I think.

I don't look too much into joke-voting, and I personally don't do it. I'd rather start playing straight away. But I think that it is like MCH to act that way. If he was scum and currently didn't have any roles, I think he would lie lower and wouldn't be so defensive on some joke votes.

I don't think Mido and HD are acting scummy. I find it a matter of playstyle on whether you want to question MCH's behaviour or not.

I know that it is hard to play your first mafia game, and I can see some small similarities between M*13 and me from my first game (welcome by the way mate).

Honestly, I think that we won't get too much information until the next day phase, considering that we are still discussing joke voting at this stage. I'd really like to see some discussion on different people, but today's lynch and tonight's kill will easily provide this. Right now, I can't see too many reads and everyone seems pretty normal.

Considering compared to the old days, you can't even always tell scum interacting with scum. I've gone head to head with my scumbuddies a few times before. Which will be good to keep in mind since usually people only look at positive interactions when scumhunting after catching scum. That and no interaction.

I know, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that sometime in this game. I'll be keeping a close eye on you :cautious:

Well, looks like I missed quite a bit today, but I am here for a little while. Work has gotten very busy lately so I likely won't be as active as I want to be :(.

Anyway, after catching up, I see that most of the conversation so far has been dominated by a few people, which doesn't really help us make reads. I will try to do what I can to help out with that. At least it's still pretty early in the day so hopefully everyone else joins in soon.

@Elementar It's still pretty early, so there's still a chance for something more actionable later on today. What's your thought on how the lynch should proceed if that doesn't end up happening?

My two cents about a lynch/no lynch scenario for D1 - in a game this large (at least compared to the other games I have played in TWR), it's better to lynch someone, especially since everyone is vanilla until the deaths start piling up.

@EeveelutionLover can we get a vote count as it currently stands? Also, I don't see anything in the OP about the lynch mechanics - I am currently assuming the lynch is based on plurality votes, not majority (i.e. the most votes gets lynched), and no hammer. Is that right?

The above posts are fine at first glance.
I'm tired and should go to bed soon, will continue reading this game thoroughly tomorrow.

I admit that I don't quite follow MCH's logic on why joke voting is so bad, but I also don't think that the "joke vote vs no joke vote" debate is really worth having at this point. I am not a fan of D1 no-lynches, so as long as people do vote and give a reason that we can dissect later, it's all good by me. Mido and HumanDawn are looking good so far, and while I'm not quite on the same page as MCH he isn't really raising alarm with me either. MMMMMetc. mostly seems like an inexperienced player at this point, but that can easily be used as an excuse. Keeping an eye on them to see if anything doesn't seem to fit.

Everyone else can safely be assumed to be a null read from me so far.

I think that lynching M*13 wouldn't be good. Or Hellcrow. (Those are going by the vote count). Mido is very useful player if they're on town, but very dangerous if their mafia. I'd keep them around. Zexy's always good to keep around, but is like Mido.

Actually, who do you think we should lynch at this point everyone? Probably one of the less active players.

Actually, who do you think we should lynch at this point everyone? Probably one of the less active players.
Agreed. Since everyone starts out vanilla, a lynch on an inactive is minimal loss with the biggest potential gain.

Zexy pretty much said what I was going to say about this being essentially a vanilla game before the ability mechanic kicks in, which makes our own analysis/reads and voting power all the more important this early on. The only thing that I'd like to add to that is that any type of information is useful in games like this. It doesn't matter if it's misinformation, weak, or even false information entirely. As long as something of substance exists, it's possible to draw relevant information and reads from it one way or another. In general, more information helps the game much much more than it can hurt it; which subsequently makes communication all the more important. Too many times in vanilla games I see people refrain from posting with the mindset that "there's not much to talk about", which in turn limits the activity potential of the thread as a whole and just hurts town in general. Any type of discussion can be used to form/confirm/cross-reference a read, get/test reactions from other, etc. Another personal gripe of mine is when people say "x is useless to talk about, instead we should be focusing on y." To that I always ask we can't talk about both things. I understand that sometimes people are worried that these types of "useless" discussions can be a way for mafia to distract the thread, and indeed they can be, but if you let them (or anyone for that matter) control the flow of discussion rather than let it happen naturally you are just hurting yourself anyway. That's why you shouldn't begin the game by narrowing your options; rather it's the exact opposite that gets the game going at a good pace. Mechanics discussion and joke votes are typical of Day 1 on Bulba, and while both have their drawbacks, sometimes they can be fueled by personal motives that aren't even apparent until later on in the game.

As for my thoughts on the thread so far, MCH is being his usual derptown self, and I hate to derpclear him again but it's been such a consistent way to confirm MCH that I can't help but turn to it again here. Not sure which way to lean with M13's erratic play, and I don't like how he's trying to play the n00b card a bit, but then again Elementar tried that in Paragon and I was wrong about him there. Mido, HD, and Zexy are extremely difficult to read this early as always, but Life is looking good. Hellcrow showing up randomly as always and Piko is contributing a lot more than I remember him to. Looking forward to hearing what the rest of the game thinks when they show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom