• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire starters... Are Game Freak beating a dead horse?

I am also annoyed that every Fire starter since Generation III has fully evolved into a Fire/Fighting type Pokémon but I think that Generation VI will continue this trend with its Fire starter evolving into a Fire/Fighting type Pokémon.

Why?
I think the trend will continue because patterns in the Pokémon video games are rarely broken and as others have said Rock is one of the best types offensively and the secondary Fighting type makes these starters become damaged normally by Rock type moves. I do usually like that fact that there are many patterns in the Pokémon video game series.

I only like Blaziken of the three. I hate Monkey's, so I would never actually use Chimchar (or that BS monkey trio to make B/W easy from the get-go)

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the next starter evolves into yet another Fire/Fighting, but if it does I hope they expand the other starters again. Snivy was adorable, but let's face it, Serperior sucks. I only picked Snivy originally because it's final stage looked like a pretty green Dragonair. The other two I was just horrified by [thus fifth gen breaking my 10+ year water-starter tradition]

I think they are beating a dead horse with it, because if they keep making Fire-Fighting starters they will inevitably be outclassed by whatever the best Fire-Fighters are. It's already happened with Emboar, they can't keep making viable Fire-Fighting types and still have them be different. It was okay with Infernape, because he was a big improvement over Blaziken, and a great Pokemon all around. I really hope they stop, though, it's getting repetitive.

Personally, I didn't even know Tepig's evolved forms were part fighting because, imo, it was the least desirable starter from Gen V. Before I got the game, I looked at each of them, and initially was going to pick Snivy, but I came to the conclusion that Oshawott's final form was the best of the three and picked it. I didn't really have a problem with Infernape and Blaziken being Fire-Fighting, but I don't think it makes sense for the Fire starters to continue to be dual types when the other's aren't.

well if you took emboar when you first saw him and he was just pure fire type I feel like people would say that was fine, I have no idea why tgame freak is having an obession with this starter combo not sure if it is related to something in Japanese culture but would like to seee when there is a different combo or just pure fire for that starter

I don't really like the fire/fighting trend. Blaziken was awesome (always pick Torchic because of that), Infernape was meh, and Emboar I just plain didn't like. In my opinion, they should have made Samurott water/fighting. It looks like it'd be a fighting type, being based off of samurai and all that.

I will repeat what i said in another thread.

Emboar should have been fire/ground. Remember pigs don't fly, they stay on the ground.

And personally I believe people should stop saying that gf will stick to patterns like fire/fighting. They have already broken a "pattern" with b2/w2 instead of grey.

I love to tell myself that I really hate Fire/Fighting being overused, but I really don't. As long as they have any use, I'm fine with it. Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar have all proven to be decent Pokémon. I don't want to see Fire/Fighting again, but if they do give us another one, as long as it isn't terrible, I'll be okay with it. (Though a fourth Fire/Fighting would probably raise questions about whether Game Freak actually remembers their older games exist).

Appearance can play a big part in the starter I choose first off and I would never pick Infernape, or Emboar based on first appearance by any means.

The fighting type I have noticed has seemed to elevate quite rapidly through the last three generations, but they have not done the fire starters any justice in the last two generations in my opinion.

They need to stop thinking two legs and start thinking four is what I think personally. I really want to see a beautiful and mysterious fire starter for once instead of boars and monkeys.

We also have Virizion, as well as Poliwrath and Keldeo on the Water front.

Oh yeah. Right.

Oh yeah, continuing my post from earlier, um, yeah, continue.

Blaziken... Best starter ever. Do I need to say more? I don't care if there was 5,000,000 Fire-Fighting Type starters, this one is THE BEST.

Infernape, I like it, but it's not a Pokemon I would really chose first off.

Emboar, I think it is really cool. You know you can't resist that firiy beard.

I just think that Nintendo or Gamefreak needs to take a little break on the Fire-Fighting starters. Not permently discontinuing it.

Blaziken is good, but I have Charizard for LIFE. Too good that Charizard is the only fire starter that doesn't gain fighting for a second type...

At this point its probably an inside joke that they're never gonna admit to, and we're the ones paying the price for it. Dunno why they would do it, but I don't use fire starters so its okay.

I won't mind another Fire/Fighting (I use each of them for 1 go in all games).
But, I may like to have a fire starter with Unique Typing. (Fire/Normal, Fire/Ice, Fire/Poison will be fine)

Emboar should have been fire/ground. Remember pigs don't fly, they stay on the ground.

And personally I believe people should stop saying that gf will stick to patterns like fire/fighting. They have already broken a "pattern" with b2/w2 instead of grey.

So what you are saying is that since it's grounded, it should be part Ground? Because a lot of other grounded pokémon would have to have a word with you.

If it's anything that's beating a dead horse, it's complaining about having Fire/Fighting starters.

Besides, I just make the easy choice of not choosing Fire starters. Problem solved.

Plus Fire starters are designed to be frail, and because Emboar's appearance makes him appear to be both a frail AND slow Fire starter, having Ground as a secondary type won't save him from being bad, making its 4x weakness to Water a real matter.

Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar have all proven to be decent Pokémon.
No offense but; Emboar, decent? I must be playing a different game.

I would like anything besides another Fire/Fighting starter, but that's because I never choose them anyway (they are all ugly as sin and dull to me).
It's hard to give a fire starter a useful typing without repeats since Fire is such a hard type to make useful, though.

Blaziken is good, but I have Charizard for LIFE. Too good that Charizard is the only fire starter that doesn't gain fighting for a second type...

Typhlosion says hi. But Fire/Fighting wouldn't be beneficial to a Pokémon like Charizard, so it is a good thing. (Though in Gen. 1, pretty much the only secondary types were Flying, Poison, and Ground)

No offense but; Emboar, decent? I must be playing a different game.

Depends on your definition of decent. Emboar is definitely not the worst Pokémon out there, but it is by no means great. It is still somewhat usable.

Getting back on topic here, I would like to see a starter with Fire/Dark. Psychic immunity helps, even if by just that much.

So what you are saying is that since it's grounded, it should be part Ground? Because a lot of other grounded pokémon would have to have a word with you.

No, the base of my idea is "pigs don't fly". On a slightly personal note, emboar looks bulky, much similar to donphan and rhyperior in my eyes.

If it's anything that's beating a dead horse, it's complaining about having Fire/Fighting starters.

What? We have 3 fire/fighting starters no less. I can see why fans are complaining. 2 of the starter's have a similar back story. Things are starting to getting stale as far as the fire-starter-typing is concerned. There are many, many more types emboar could have been like fire/ground, fire / dark, etc. and we get the same thing for the 3rd time?

Besides, I just make the easy choice of not choosing Fire starters. Problem solved.

The choice of starter is a fairly important ingame, imo. Majority of the teams are built around the starters. Not choosing the fire starter doesn't solve the problem. What if a person likes starting with a fire type? That means he loses out, right?

Plus Fire starters are designed to be frail, and because Emboar's appearance makes him appear to be both a frail AND slow Fire starter, having Ground as a secondary type won't save him from being bad, making its 4x weakness to Water a real matter.

Pooh, pooh. If game freak was thinking about the metagame while creating the mons, serperior would have been grass / dragon, with 120 in its offensive stats and a movepool that would make tyranitar jealous. The reality is that metagame is created by battlers and not by gf. Its exactly opposite of what you are so desperately trying to convey. So, please don't bring the metagame up here.

serperior would have been grass / dragon
Slightly irrelevant, but I would have absolutely loved this. Its appearance just screams regal dragon.

I know this is stupid, but I wanted Emboar to be a Fire/Dark pig because then my nicknamed Emboar (Ganon) would be more accurate. And because Emboar looks like a dark type.

Depends on your definition of decent. Emboar is definitely not the worst Pokémon out there, but it is by no means great. It is still somewhat usable.
You're right. He's just overshadowed.

Those of you asking for Emboar to be Fire/Dark, Grass Type Trainer has already explained a pattern going on that former physical-based types are being used as secondary types for starter Pokemon. Dark is formerly special-based, so it's not going to happen. Besides, Heatmor's poor performance shows that Emboar can't survive in battle even as a pure Fire type, so it really needs a Fighting typing rather than a Ground typing.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom