• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

I had originally started with Oshawott, until I got Pansear and realized the error of my ways. I restarted with Tepig so that I could get Pansage. So basically, I chose my elemental monkey instead of choosing my starter...

I played the game over so many times I can't really remember. But I THINK I chose Snivy the first time around, and most subsequent times as well.
The main reason I liked its design the best out of the three, all around for all its stages. Serperior is significantly better looking to me than Emboar and Samurott. I like quick, speedy Pokemon as well. I rarely choose the grass starter, so it was a new experience.
I like snakes more than pigs and otters so that definitely influenced my decision.

To be honest, I chose Oshawott just because I had yet to start with a Water Pokémon. While I was not a fan of the looks of any of the gen V first stage starters, I liked how Samurott turned out, and mine was with me through the whole game.

Tepig's whole line kinda disgusts me, because they are fat... Flaming... Pigs. I actually don't really like snake Pokémon, so I don't like Snivy's line. I didn't like the whole 'better then you' vibe that thing gave off as well.

Black: Tepig because it's cute
White: Tepig because I wanted to relive my Black adventure
Black 2: Dumped Snivy for a Sunflora early on because fuck the predetermined starters.

My first run I chose Oshawott, solely because I liked it the best out of the other three. I didn't know what its final evolution looked like, but I figured that since it was my favorite in its first stage, it would be my favorite in its last, right? Wrong, but that's kind-of off topic so I'll move on. Samurott is strong and has a great move-pool, so I can't say anything bad about it to be honest. He kicks butt at everything, and with Ice Beam and X-Scissor he can easily counter Ice-types while with Dig he can attack Electric-types. He was also great for surfing and Strength usage, which was incredibly handy.

While Serperior does have my favorite design of the final-stage Gen V starters, his move-pool is quite pitiful. I mean, his stats are good and his speed is really nice, but he really only learns Grass and Normal-type moves which is really annoying when trying to counter his weaknesses. My runs with it have always turned out good, but I think Samurott is better purely because of its many uses.

Emboar... Oh gosh... Where do I even start? My first run with it was horrible. I struggled with gyms, and couldn't even pass the E4... My team was well balanced too, which is why I was surprised. I figured that I just had some bad luck with the run and restarted my game, using him again. This time was even worse. I He was at level 50 yet failed in every battle.... I mean, his attack power is great, but the physical moves he gets aren't. If they don't result in recoil, it's either stat-lowering or horrible accuracy. His move-pool is decent though, so that's nice.

But I mean, I can't really give my thoughts on him without being incredibly bias. Because if I am, I'll tell anyone not to use him and that he's a bad luck charm.

tl;dr Samurott is the best.

In my first White playthrough I started with Tepig because I find it cute. Snivy looks to bossy I think and Tepig was cuter than Oshawott.
In my second White I picked Oshawott because I had tried Tepig and I did not like Snivy.
In W2 I picked Tepig again.

Oshawott!

1. It's cute as can be.
2. Dewott.
3. Samurott.
4. Awesome Movepool.

It's Oshawott for me. For one thing, it's adorable, Dewott is adorable and badass, and Samurott is a samurai badass. Also, I like it's wide movepool and stats a lot and find it to be the most helpful throughout Black. In W2 I choose Snivy, but didn't much care for it. I just don't care much for support Pokémon and in general I think its movepool is pretty lackluster. I feel like I ended up using my other team members much more than her unless she actually had an advantage. Tepig I just can't stand due to its hideous evolutions and their typings.

I chose Snivy which broke my chain of choosing Fire types (I did chose Piplup for Platinum though) I just liked snivy's evolutions, looked so elegant. Then realized they were quite weak (still waiting for their HA to be released) but still went with them for Black. In White 2 I then chose Oshawott because I thought it was probably the best, later chose Tepig because I didn't want to give it all the hate and actually started to like Emboar after using her for a while.

I had originally started with Oshawott, until I got Pansear and realized the error of my ways. I restarted with Tepig so that I could get Pansage. So basically, I chose my elemental monkey instead of choosing my starter...
You could find the other two Elemental Monkeys in Pinwheel Forest; all you had to do was search for the shaking grass. It took some time but I was able to get all three of them with this in Black. Or failing that, reset for a female Pansear, breed it and ask for the others via GTS. There are those who would trade you. (Of course, now it's all moot anyway; the Monkeys are so common that they're often tossed off as Wonder Trade fodder.)

In my case I chose Oshawott in both Black and Black 2, as I liked the final evolution a lot more than Tepig's or Snivy's. Samurott seemed a bit more balanced than those two and seemed to have better Type coverage, so I stuck with it and it never let me down.

Samurott. I never knew why, I just did it. It has now become my favorite.

I chose Oshawott. No regrets. Dewott was the best form of it him though.

Oshawott!
It's generally easier to use than the other 2, since it requires less training and has many type advantages along the game,
But, then, I'm a water-type fan, so yeah :D

I chose oshawott, but I found out samorott stands on 4 legs.

Something that bothers me is that the advertisements always show the fire type pokemon in the middle and front... isn't that a little discriminating against the others?
just a thought:)

Snivy.

Why is it superior to the other two?
hqdefault.jpg
Smugleaf. That's why.

I went for Oshawott.

When I first play a game, I always choose the Water starter. Simply because of the move Surf. Gen V is annoyingly hard to catch water types without a rod (which is gained way after you need to use surf). Surf + STAB + Water enhancing item (Mystic Water etc) is something to behold in battle. High power, lots of PP and 100% accuracy. Can't go wrong with that. I know I could get something like the Lillipup line to teach it surf, but the lack of STAB makes it a mediocre weapon in battles.

Still playing it for the first time, so I haven't tried the others yet.

I originally started with Snivy, but halfway through the game I was no longer able to tolarate it, so I restarted the game and chose Oshawott instead, which was a much better choice.

I chose Emboar, because I really dig its color scheme. Plus, it looks like a very huggable Pokémon <3

Still, sorry to disappoint, but I don't think Emboar is superior to Serperior and Samurott. There is no such thing as a "superior starter", that is just childish.

In my first White playrrough I chose Tepig since he was cuter than the others. In m second playthrough I took Oshawott instead. Not a big fan of Snivy.
In W2 I took Tepig again.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom