• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Silver: I went around all excited cause this was my first pokemon game (absolutely freaking out when I found a Jigglypuff, thinking I was going to find Squirtle in the water). I had fun until I got the first badge and couldn't move on until I got the Togepi egg, which I couldn't because I had a full team. So I restarted and caught only five pokemon so I could get the egg. Sometime after that did I find out about the storage system. I still have bitter feelings toward that guy that "reminds" you about that egg.

Yellow: I also had problems with Brock and overtrained that Pikachu to around lv 20-30. I probably would have trained more, but I think I learned about Mankey and low kick.

Diamond: My first pokemon game. When I finally beat Lucian from the Elite Four, I was so happy, cause all my pokemon fainted already and I didn't have any potions anymore. And then Lucian told me there's a Champion too.. :flinch:

In my Pearl game it took me a week to figure out that you can't ride your bike over the mud. I was stuck in route 212 until I read a sign right NEXT to me that said: Trainer Tips
If you get stuck in the bog, you can
count on being there for a while.
There's no need to panic.
Just struggle and squirm for a bit.
Bicycles cannot be ridden on marshy
ground, incidentally..

I was VERY annoyed and felt like an idiot. -_-

Hmm. Let me think...

When I first played Emerald and got Dive, I was all ecstatic about it and taught it to mah Gyarados immediately. I then hopped into the water, and found much to my surprise that poor Dragongate couldn't dive there (yes, I still remember the name of my Gyarados). So I'm sitting there, blinking at the screen, and then give up on Diving and decide to go to Sootopolis instead... Which was a giant Mewin' rock. I then found out how to Dive properly and spent the next ten minutes facepalming.

I got completely lost in Mt.Coronet in my Pearl version on the way to Spear Pillar. I had no trouble in Diamond. =\

Way back when I was 3, my brother used to give me his gameboy with his pokemon red and the strict instructions never to go into the grass. So my 3 yr old self happily poodled around with my brothers lv 79 Charizard and level 81 Pidgeot when I accidently went into the grass and got into a battle. It was a rattata, and I panicked, being unable to read, clicked the A button like mad. Charizard used fire blast, obviously KOed the Ratatta, and I was convinced I was awesome at the game XD

I got completely lost in Mt.Coronet in my Pearl version on the way to Spear Pillar. I had no trouble in Diamond. =\

I did exactly the same thing in Platinum.
I was liek, where the heck do I go?

I finally figured out I needed Rock Climb after alot of searching.

I kept using the wrong Coronet entrances in Pearl lol!

(Also in Paper Mario 2 I forgot to see Vivian in Twilight Town after Doopliss stole Mario's body and name)

OMG I only just found out that Butterfree is Bug/Flying and not Bug/Psychic.
I am incredibly slow.

*Back when I first played Red (aah, memories) I played, in one sitting, straight to the SS Anne. I had chosen Bulbasaur as my starter, and he was the only thing I put any effort into leveling--hence how I made it so fast.

When I did reach SS Anne, Gary (censored) Oak, whose starter is now evolved and, of course, a fire type, absolutely demolishes me so badly I had to start over. This time I make it to Silph Co before he destroys me.

*"Hey, this MissingNo. thing sounds interesting. I wonder what it looks like."
This...did not end well. At all.

*In the Battle Pyramid in Emerald, I got the Sacred Ash. I intended to save this as a backup weapon to heal during a tough battle--in fact I think I was in a Brandon cycle and wanted it for him. But I ended up fighting someone else, instead.
Turns out it can't be used mid-battle.
I lost.

Two in Diamond:
*"I'm SURE Raichu can handle Rhydon. It knows Focus Blast!"
*"Oh no! How can Machamp beat Dusclops! His Fighting Moves won't work, and Dusclops levitates, so Earthquake won't work, either!"
Yep, I somehow missed the big "Dusclops' is exherting it's Pressure" message. I did, however, use Earthquake since I had to choose something, and Machamp did end up winning, so disaster WAS averted. Didn't help the silly feeling, though.

Very recently in Platinum
*"Crud, Volkner's rematch is giving me trouble with his tenish level advantage. All I have left is...EMPOLEON?! WHY ARE YOU IN MY PARTY NOW?!"

When I got Yellow, (I was around 4?) I wondered why my electric attacks wouldn't work on Brock's pokémon.. Until my best friend told me that electric moves have no effect on rock types.. a month later, ;D.

I spent 5 weeks figuring out how to get through victory road in ruby.

I googled: 'How to evolve Chikorita'. :3

Back in the days of Red version, it took me like 3 weeks to manage my way out of Rock Tunnel. I still hate that place up to this day.

And I was dumb enough to not relate the "I'm thirsty" line by the gatekeepers in Saffron with the beverage machines in Celadon Dept. Store. I spent months overleveling my Charizard (it was my only Pokémon, so I think I got it up to its 90's) until I read it on a magazine that you had to give any guard one drink from Celadon and that was enough to make all of them let you pass. It was so obvious and I seay I still don't get why I never thought of that. Yeah I was stupid but nowadays it's just so funny to recall it.

When I got Yellow, (I was around 4?) I wondered why my electric attacks wouldn't work on Brock's pokémon.. Until my best friend told me that electric moves have no effect on rock types.. a month later, ;D.

I hate to be a nitpicker, but electric moves have no effect on Ground types. They're normal against Rock, but Brock's Pokemon are half Ground, which explains the confusion.

And I was dumb enough to not relate the "I'm thirsty" line by the gatekeepers in Saffron with the beverage machines in Celadon Dept. Store. I spent months overleveling my Charizard (it was my only Pokémon, so I think I got it up to its 90's) until I read it on a magazine that you had to give any guard one drink from Celadon and that was enough to make all of them let you pass. It was so obvious and I seay I still don't get why I never thought of that. Yeah I was stupid but nowadays it's just so funny to recall it.

I believe everyone had that problem. Or at least everyone I know.

Except I never did level up my Charizard...

lol I recall having that same problem

Diamond: My first pokemon game. When I finally beat Lucian from the Elite Four, I was so happy, cause all my pokemon fainted already and I didn't have any potions anymore. And then Lucian told me there's a Champion too.. :flinch:

I know that feeling from Ruby. I was such an idiot. I trained a Blaziken to such a high level. I didn't buy healing items, and I made it to Drake. Then died. I didn't think there was something else, because they called it the Elite Four.

In my Pearl game it took me a week to figure out that you can't ride your bike over the mud. I was stuck in route 212 until I read a sign right NEXT to me that said: Trainer Tips
If you get stuck in the bog, you can
count on being there for a while.
There's no need to panic.
Just struggle and squirm for a bit.
Bicycles cannot be ridden on marshy
ground, incidentally..

I was VERY annoyed and felt like an idiot. -_-

Oh my, yes, I remember freaking in Pearl when I couldn't ride my bike in the Great Marsh. I was online with my friend all "I CAN'T NAVIGATE IT D:"

He insisted "I'm sure it's just a very simple problem to overcome. >.>"

Well he was right, just needed to not have out the bicycle.

Yeah, I learned long ago to just run. Bring out the bike when you really need it. I could never control the mach bike and didn't learn till recently how to use the bridges with the acro bike.

I only today relaised that Pokemon isn't a first party Nintendo franchise akin to Zelda and Mario.

index.php

I know that feeling from Ruby. I was such an idiot. I trained a Blaziken to such a high level. I didn't buy healing items, and I made it to Drake. Then died. I didn't think there was something else, because they called it the Elite Four.

Yep, I went through it in my old Red version too. I was celebrating my victory then Lance says: "no you're not the Champion -someone beat me first. His name is....". But then it was a nice surprise when I found that the Champion was your rival. Epic-est champion ever!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom