• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

B2W2 Animated Game Trailer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cheren, B2W2 male player and rival - possible animation short?

I don't get it. Why does everyone point this out. How can a Pokemon be "too small?" It makes absolutely no sense for all Pokemon of a specific species to be exactly one size. No, it doesn't happen like that. Animals can be multiple sizes, so why should Pokemon be different?

And besides, there's in-game stuff you can do that involves capturing Pokemon of varying sizes. Like the Barboach and Shroomish size comparison game in the Hoenn games.

Yeah, those are plants and fish, which DO widely vary in size in real life. Mammals, however, typically don't. Sure, some may be a few inches taller or shorter than others, such as us humans, but other than that, no major difference. Plus, I just find it unrealistic for one Arcanine to be three times smaller than another one regardless.

Think of the Arcanine as a recently-bred Growlithe that was evolved early! (not full-grown yet)

I don't get it. Why does everyone point this out. How can a Pokemon be "too small?" It makes absolutely no sense for all Pokemon of a specific species to be exactly one size. No, it doesn't happen like that. Animals can be multiple sizes, so why should Pokemon be different?

And besides, there's in-game stuff you can do that involves capturing Pokemon of varying sizes. Like the Barboach and Shroomish size comparison game in the Hoenn games.

Those are called average sizes for a reason--the population of the species averages to that height. Even when you catch Borboach and Shroomish, while their sizes vary, most don't vary significantly from average.

Arcanine on average are over six feet tall, that Arcanine does not even stand anywhere near as tall as the PC. While there is individual variation in their height, you cannot deny that the Arcanine in the trailer was, in fact, short for the species.

Now why people say Stoutland is too small is beyond me. It's average height is 3'11". I think the big problem is that even in terms of relative height, Arcanine in general should be larger than Stoutland, but this one was the same size. Now either the Stoutland is oversized for its species, or the Arcanine small, which is the likely conclusion given the Trainer's height. So yeah, it is a bit unexpected to see an Arcanine of that height. Really, being ~60% of the average height is a bit of an obvious height difference. You're acting as if we're making note of a 5'11" Arcanine as being too short compared to a 6'3" average.

You used those ingame catching events. In GSC, I caught a Magikarp that was 5'3", three feet larger than average. Would it have been wrong of me to take note of its size? These were uncommon Magikarp as most Magikarp I caught were 2'7" - 3'2" range. Indeed, while there are individual variation, the average was certainly around 2'11", but outliers existed (my 5'3" Magikarp). Similarly, this Arcanine is an outlier. However, why would a trailer advertising a game specifically make a short Pokemon? If anything, they should have used one that better represented the species. The only thing I can think of is that OLM screwed up the size like they do for a lot of Pokemon.

Last edited:

I always thought the 6 feet was in length, not height. Kind of like how Arbok obviously isn't over 11 feet tall when it's coiled up.

They probably thought no one would notice. Very few people look at the Pokedex data on height first-thing.

I always thought the 6 feet was in length, not height. Kind of like how Arbok obviously isn't over 11 feet tall when it's coiled up.

That's why I noted Stoutland's height. How exactly would you be measuring length? Arcanine cannot lie completely flat. Do you go from the length of the tail bone to head? Or do you count the legs? If you're counting the back legs as the end point, are you counting the front legs as well? After all, why selectively choose one limb it stands on but not the other. It's intuitive to use length for snakes simply because they do not run into this problem, and certainly don't have a fixed height given that they move by slithering on their belly. Either way, its height discrepancy still does not explain its relative height to Stoutland.

It makes sense for serpentine creatures to be measured head to tail. However, Arcanine is a bipedal mammal. When measuring the height of these mammals, it does not make sense to use the same standard you use to measure serpents. Let's look at a few examples: Moose--another quadrupedal mammal. It's measured from its standing height, not its length. Judging by their description, other quadrupeds like dogs are measured the same way. Why would Arcanine be measured like a snake? If anything, the average sizes reflect the way the average size is measured for their real-life analogues.

If I were behind it, I would measure Arcanine from nose to the end of its thigh since most of its sprites and artwork show it standing on all fours. The tail would be difficult to measure since it has all that fur at the end, which would probably vary more in length than the rest of the creature would.

If I were behind it, I would measure Arcanine from nose to the end of its thigh since most of its sprites and artwork show it standing on all fours. The tail would be difficult to measure since it has all that fur at the end, which would probably vary more in length than the rest of the creature would.

If that's how you were doing it, and you were to assume the legs on the official artwork were proportional, Arcanine is still too small. In fact, I think your measurement makes Arcanine bigger than average given that the limbs are longer than its body when looking at its artwork. Either way, I don't know why we're debating this since dogs are measured from their standing height, and Arcanine is a dog, not a snake. It makes no sense to measure it as if it were one.

Yeah, you're right. It is still too small. Not that this is a new event for the anime. They mess up the sizes all the time.

The official website updated the banner that said "05/17 7.00". What does the Japanese on it say? I doubt its anything important, but just checking.

The official website updated the banner that said "05/17 7.00". What does the Japanese on it say? I doubt its anything important, but just checking.

it says "you can see this shit legit now broski it's publicly released".

not a direct translation.

The anime at least, yes, but the games are still going strong (Black and White 1 sold more than even G/S/C did, making it the highest selling Pokemon game in the franchises history),

Err, what? The recorded sales for Gold/Silver alone are at 23 million, BW are at 11.5 (and that's not even factoring in Crystal), so I wonder what you are thinking here.

Well, as of April 29 2012:

Nintendo has released the worldwide sales figures for a number of popular Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS games. The titles included are The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Pokemon Black & White and Super Mario 3D Land.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – 2.61 million (up 0.12 mil. from Dec.)
Pokémon: Rumble Blast – 1.08 million
Pokémon Black/White (DS) – 14.71 million
Mario Kart 7 – 5.24 million
Nintendogs + cats – 2.70 million (for comparison: the original Nintendogs – 23.89 million so far)
Super Mario 3D Land – 5.84 million (for comparison: Super Mario Galaxy – 10.68 million so far)
Nintendo 3DS console – 17.13 million units (up from 15.03 mil. in Dec.)

^(Source)

Gold, Silver and Crystal all together sold 29.49 million copies. Gold and Silver together sold 23.10 million copies, while Crystal sold 6.39 million copies.

Yeah, the older games sold more copies.

Who, what, how, where, why?

Some type of animated special dedicated to the games... that isn't part of the normal anime!?

SOMEONE PINCH ME SO I KNOW I'M NOT DREAMING.

Would be awesome if they rebooted the Anime.... they really do need to get rid of Ash... I wonder what they'lll name the male BW2 protag? Where's the girl? Also love how he has an Arcanine (assuming Herdier is Cheren's (probably seeing as he's a Normal Gym Leader) and the Samurott is the rivals (I say it is...) Hope Growlith is an early pokemon

Growlithe is found in that industrial area near the starting town to the east, so unless that area is blocked off, you should be able to get it pretty early on. I think they were found at levels in the teens, so the area should be accessible.

Awesome!!! I know my Fire Type for this game =) wish they'd let you buy Evolution stones like they did back in the Kanto games..

Who ever said that they won't in B2W2?

I'm kinda sad that this will never be an animated series...I doubt they would want to use their profits on something like that :(

They should. Something this great would actually get fan young and old psyched and get more to buy the games. THAT would be better advertising than the Anime we have does.

Plus, it should be appealing to both kids and teens who love Pokemon. Like Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece (in Japan), and other Shonen series that has amazing action and stories for kids and teens. Marketing to a broader audience would be great for GF's profits since more teens would get into Pokemon. Like Batman Animated or Teen Titans. Honestly, I don't like the "teens only Anime" idea.

Last edited:

Am I alone in thinking this shouldn't become a real series? Gah, the more hype this trailer gets, the more I start to dislike it. OTL This trailer, with such high quality animation, probably had the budget of 3 anime episodes or something. If it became a real series, the quality in animation would drop to be like the anime we already have now. They couldn't make a whole side-series with animation like this.

Am I alone in thinking this shouldn't become a real series? Gah, the more hype this trailer gets, the more I start to dislike it. OTL This trailer, with such high quality animation, probably had the budget of 3 anime episodes or something. If it became a real series, the quality in animation would drop to be like the anime we already have now. They couldn't make a whole side-series with animation like this.

They totally could, given how lucrative the franchise is. I know that they likely wouldn't, but still, it would be very much in the realm of affordability for such a large and successful franchise.

They could do what Katanagatari did and air an episode each month, which could work for 3-6 episodes total ("Katana" had 12, so it took a whole year to finish).

I don't understand why would they do something like that if they already have a whole Anime, 700+ episodes, that have no f**king point other than advertising the games ?

this just made the show looks even more crappier..

no they can,its not the quality its the STYLE, this trailer have more mature style,with good color tune/pallet,that match that of the game artwork, while the anime is so cheesy with hot colors every where and rounded-desgined characters...
it wont be the same quality as this but atleast good enough.

I personally don't think the anime can be like this,because its mm....childish, so having serous looking anime with cheesy stories will be something ridicules, I still don't like the present style, I think they should make it a little bit mature, just for the sake of older viewers.

no they can,its not the quality its the STYLE, this trailer have more mature style,with good color tune/pallet,that match that of the game artwork, while the anime is so cheesy with hot colors every where and rounded-desgined characters...
it wont be the same quality as this but atleast good enough.

I personally don't think the anime can be like this,because its mm....childish, so having serous looking anime with cheesy stories will be something ridicules, I still don't like the present style, I think they should make it a little bit mature, just for the sake of older viewers.

It has better coloring because it has a higher budget.

It is not more mature. The anime has lots of really dark moments that people always overlook. It makes me think that they've never even watched all the eipsodes. The anime IS mature sometimes. That Trailer is NOT mature in any sense of the word. Whats so mature about it exactly? 2 characters running to get their starters and are excited about it? A Gym Leader talking? Encounters with the villain team that you'd see in the anime too? Arcanine biting Seviper with the same level of 'brutality' that you'd see in the anime? Samurott firing an Ice Beam and causing an explosion just like every single attack in the anime? No. There is nothing in this trailer that is more mature than some of the things in the anime.

First, yes you are pretty much alone. Second, they could do a whole side series easily. For one, Pokemon already has one of the biggest fanbases going by extremely high sales in the games, which means they could afford it. Also, there are some really high quality anime series that are very successful, but have small fanbases compared to Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom