• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Volcarona presumably comes from volcano + corona (the sun's "atmosphere")

Here are some I can't figure out:

#508 Stoutland
#532 Timburr - timber + ?
#533 Gurdurr - girder + ?
#534 Conkeldurr - concrete + ?
#540 Sewaddle
#541 Swadloon
#542 Leavenny - leaves + veiny? vain?
#564 Tirtouga - ? + tortuga (Spanish for turtle)
#565 Carracosta
#617 Accelgor
#619-620 Mienfoo/Mienshao - ? + kung-fu/shaolin
#536 Larvesta - larva + ?

Stoutland = Stout meaning bold or brave and I guess Land?

Timburr - It's holding Timber.
Gurdurr - It's holding a Gurder.
Conkeldurr - Holding concrete.

EDIT:
Mienshao. My Show!

Last edited:

I was hoping Wargle would stay like that....oh well *starts thinking nicknames*

don't forget Geodude!

also - i like the names, overall, Gurdurr WTF

Sewaddle is a combination of "sew" and "swaddle", or to wrap something up tightly and warmly. (Babies are the first thing to come to mind, when using the word; perfect for the Pokemon.)

#508 Stoutland: Maybe the "land" part is from a dog breed? Like Japanese name of Lillipup (Yorterrie from Yorkshire Terrier. BTW, Lillipup sounds so... gay =/)
#540 Sewaddle: Reminds me to Weedle.
#541 Swadloon: Cocoon maybe?
#542 Leavenny: leaves + nanny maybe? (hahakomori - Komori is babysitting)
#565 Carracosta: "Costa" is spanish for "coast", but I don't see the link. Anyway sounds more italian to me.
#617 Accelgor: Acceleration maybe. It's ridiculously fast (145 speed) and looks as an old-fashioned F1 pilot.

How do you pronounce Rankurusu's english name?

#508 Stoutland: Maybe the "land" part is from a dog breed? Like Japanese name of Lillipup (Yorterrie from Yorkshire Terrier. BTW, Lillipup sounds so... gay =/)
#565 Carracosta: "Costa" is spanish for "coast", but I don't see the link. Anyway sounds more italian to me.
#617 Accelgor: Acceleration maybe. It's ridiculously fast (145 speed) and looks as an old-fashioned F1 pilot.

carra
raffaella-carra.jpg

costa
costa-smeralda.jpg

maybe Carra is from Carrapaça, in other words, Shell, also Coast from the fact that it is a water-type, otherwise i dunno

Ohhhh I see now. Pretty cool. 8D
They also borrow from 'Burly' and, in the case of Rohbushin 'Elder'.

In any case, I can't look at 'Conkeldurr' without imagining some kid being hit in the head with a chesnut and spouting confused nonsense.

AXEW! <3 <3 <3
I was hoping it wouldn't get stuck with Tuskid... though I like Kibago better.

Everytime I read tamagetake and morobareru English names I laugh, foongus and amoonguss, wow just wow. I like it though along with:
Vanilluxe, jellicent, Yamask(hmm yeah that took some thinking), Crustle, Conkledurr, and The top favorite is definitely the shanderra line, litwick, Lampent, shandelure.

Back
Top Bottom