• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May and Dawn’s Worst Contest Victories

Who had the cheapest wins?

• May

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Dawn

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Both its a tie

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Neither they both won their matches with skill

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Basically, what do you think was the worst matches that there two had that resulted in a victory?

For May, Skitty vs. Timmy Grimm’s Dusclops. That match was just completely unfair being that Skitty in any of its matches has been shown to take damage (it takes a hit but there is no visible damage to it at all); multiple Hyper Beams, Focus Punches and Will-o-Wisps didn’t seem to tire the little kitten at all, but one dead-on-Blizzard takes out the ghost. Really sad because of the torment Timmy’s mom gave him about Pokemon in the first place.

The Jynx that Skilly battled for May’s last contest in Hoenn was another one of those “Skitty is an almost unbeatable Pokemon that can take no damage!” sort of match, but it was strategy that helped it win with Assist I will give it that much credit.

Also, when her Squirtle beat Harley’s Ariodos to get her first Kanto ribbon really ticked me off. She just got the starter Pokemon from Oak’s lab a few episodes before and now it defeats a trained contest Pokemon?

Finally, the #1 May victory that was complete unfair; May vs. Brock! This match was such a tease that it wasn’t even funny. The scoreboard was against Brock…how Eevee could make such a comeback by jumping on rocks following up with a Tackle earning a win is completely beyond me. Brock had the victory from the start Protect against Shadow Ball, using Marshstomp’s fins to avoid Dig and firing Mud Shot/Water Gun for damage. It was just too unfair, amazing that he made it to the finals in his first contest, but he is a breeder and has seen a lot of contests beforehand.

For Dawn, the Wallace Cup win she managed to scrape up but I’ve already been down that road before in a thread. Any match against Ursula, she just won “saved by the bell!” or in this case the timer.

The GF match with her was cheap, Dawn started off great but Ursula came back strong and was completely controlling the match and out of nowhere Dawn knocked out both Pokemon in a single move. The match with Jessie was just cut down on screen time along with making Jessie seem like she was completely helpless.

What are your picks?

We don't know if Ariados was trained heck Harley could've just caught it the ep before. Her Zenigame/Squirtle couldv'e hatched from a egg of a powerful blastoise she was willing to use it to catch that Arcanine that Drew was also after and it was shown to be her main poke during the Battle Frontier. It learned Icebeam from kickin' TR's asses. It was about to be taken down by Ariados until Haruka/May thought "With all that uncontrolled Power somethings got to give!" and not bein' able to fully control Icebeam it froze the whole web and since from what I can tell Ice and Water types are kings at skatin' and swimmin' and Ariados wasn't able to keep it's balance givin' Zenigame/Squirtle the advantage.

Last edited:
We don't know if Ariados was trained heck Harley could've just caught it the ep before.

I don't think that Harley is one that would use a newly caught Pokemon with little contest experience to crush his most hated rival, but that's just me.

I don't think that Harley is one that would use a newly caught Pokemon with little contest experience to crush his most hated rival, but that's just me.

You never know. Harley went for creepy Pokemon and May's/Haruka's cute pokemon always proveiled. Except for Munchlax/Gonbe who was from what I could tell the only male and a fatass not as speedy as Combusken and Squirtle/Zenigame.

You never know. Harley went for creepy Pokemon and May's/Haruka's cute pokemon always proveiled. Except for Munchlax/Gonbe who was from what I could tell the only male and a fatass not as speedy as Combusken and Squirtle/Zenigame.

Well…Harley’s Pokemon would have an upper hand but like Ash, May would think of something to come out on top; Ice Beam to freeze Ariados’ Spider Web, Shadow Ball/Focus Punch combo on Cacturne/Tag Team Focus Punch to take out Wigglytuff, and other combos that seemed to come from rash battle tactics.

I really don’t think that it was newly caught. Even if it was, it was fully evolved as opposed to a newly starter Pokemon from Oak’s lab. Up until that episode Squirtle only battled one good fight and that was against TR, but that really didn’t help its contest skills.

Well…Harley’s Pokemon would have an upper hand but like Ash, May would think of something to come out on top; Ice Beam to freeze Ariados’ Spider Web, Shadow Ball/Focus Punch combo on Cacturne/Tag Team Focus Punch to take out Wigglytuff, and other combos that seemed to come from rash battle tactics.

I really don’t think that it was newly caught. Even if it was, it was fully evolved as opposed to a newly starter Pokemon from Oak’s lab. Up until that episode Squirtle only battled one good fight and that was against TR, but that really didn’t help its contest skills.

Evovled Pokes aint always strong they could just evovle just to grow up. Zenigame/Squirtle from what I membered used Water Gun, Bubble, Tackle, Rapid Spin, and Ice Beam up until that ep. Contest Pokes aint trained for combat just to look good while battlin' Ariados could be a newly caught from what we know(nothing). Stayin' cool under pressure n thinkin' up stuff n a pinch is good for a trainer.

Evovled Pokes aint always strong they could just evovle just to grow up. Zenigame/Squirtle from what I membered used Water Gun, Bubble, Tackle, Rapid Spin, and Ice Beam up until that ep. Contest Pokes aint trained for combat just to look good while battlin' Ariados could be a newly caught from what we know(nothing). Stayin' cool under pressure n thinkin' up stuff n a pinch is good for a trainer.

I get your point evolved Pokemon always being strongest was proved wrong in Electric Shock Showdown, but strength vs. strategy is a battle in itself. It only used Water Gun with Flygon’s Flamethrower in a TR match. Rapid Spin was learned in the BF series. Ice Beam was uncontrollable and the only reason Ice Beam hit its target against Ariados was because of the web absorbing the shock from the beam being fired. That was the only real reason Squirtle won was because of May thinking to use the web to shot the Ice Beam attack.

I get your point evolved Pokemon always being strongest was proved wrong in Electric Shock Showdown, but strength vs. strategy is a battle in itself. It only used Water Gun with Flygon’s Flamethrower in a TR match. Rapid Spin was learned in the BF series. Ice Beam was uncontrollable and the only reason Ice Beam hit its target against Ariados was because of the web absorbing the shock from the beam being fired. That was the only real reason Squirtle won was because of May thinking to use the web to shot the Ice Beam attack.

I know Ice Beam was a smart choice.

I know Ice Beam was a smart choice.

Well, she really didn't have a choice; Tackle wouldn't work because it was stuck in a web, Bubble could be stopped by the "feelers" on its back and it used it before to destroy Bubble, and Water Gun probably didn't have enough power to do real damage so Ice Beam was her only real choice.

Good grief, I'm seeing this as more anime hate.

Luck, practice and skill. That pulled them through.

Good grief, I'm seeing this as more anime hate.

Luck, practice and skill. That pulled them through.

Sorry, but that is not my intention at all. I just point out certan things that seem worthy of discussion. If I had a lot of hate for the anime I would not be watching it at all.

Well, she really didn't have a choice; Tackle wouldn't work because it was stuck in a web, Bubble could be stopped by the "feelers" on its back and it used it before to destroy Bubble, and Water Gun probably didn't have enough power to do real damage so Ice Beam was her only real choice.

Point taken.

My thoughts exactly. May probably did have a few believable wins, but for the most part she won contests by relying on luck and cheap juggling/frisbee acts. She basically spammed Skitty's Assist or Munchlax's Metronome until a good move came out of them. To add onto that, a lot of May's battles were DEM. That's not to say that they weren't enjoyable, though. Her battles just weren't handled as well as most of Dawn's battles and made me want to facepalm half of the time.

She's still awesome in my books. :)
screw the contests. the character is all that matters!!
Besides, her contest arc was so much more enjoyable than Dawn's. The writers never worked with another co-star next to Ash before, so they basically just was trying for the first time with May, so I give her credit. It still was a pretty sweet contest arc. In D/P, the writers had their experience with another co-star which is why they improved battle-wise with Dawn.

You know, that battle did make sense in context.

Not at all. Sorry, but it was really lame, and I can say, May let the poor girl win because her lack of confidence.

Overall, I think May had more cheaper wins than Dawn, but Dawn beating May was just ridiculous. A still fairly inexperienced coordinator beating one who's been in two grand festivals and training for way longer? Please.

I know, I know. I'm just an angry fangirl. ;______; SHOOOT ME I DON'T WANNA BE LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THE FANDOM!

I know, I know. I'm just an angry fangirl. ;______; SHOOOT ME I DON'T WANNA BE LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THE FANDOM!

Interesting concepts on the May story-arc, really I mean it. Anyway, I’m not too happy about Dawn beating May either, but I wouldn’t say that she “let” her win. She wanted the Wallace Cup to be a confidence booster for the both of them and they agreed to not be upset no matter who won. I am a bit ticked that she would pick Glaceon considering Venasaur could easily “whip” Piplup…but I think the writers didn’t want to match to last 10 seconds.

However, Glaceon is supposed to have high Defense/Sp. Defense and Sp. Attack but low Attack (It stinks how the anime and game conflict sometimes…), it knew Secret Power/Ice Shard which were bad picks in my opinion. To sum it up, it should not have had a hard time against Piplup. It was paralyzed after the first Secret Power, but it just seemed to disappear which wasn’t right.

May had believable wins? That's news to me. (That is a joke. Everyone knows that May had 1 or 2 contest battles that were believable.) Dawn's contest arc was much much more believable.

Dawn's "major" wins:

Piplup Vs. Prinplup
Piplup Vs. Glaceon
Ambipom Vs. Delcatty
Pachi Vs. Gabite
Mamo/Cynda Vs. Plusle/Minun
Mamo/Pachi Vs. Gabite/Flareon

Out of her 6 "major" contests wins, (Dawn Vs. Jessie I barely count because of the way it was handled) her wins are hardly any different than May's victories, aside from the fact most of them ended by points.

All of Dawn's wins had forced aspects that people overlook for whatever reason.

Oh, yeah I think that was a Pokemon battle not a contest battle (if I remember correctly). I actually didn’t like that episode…well I’m kind of iffy about it. They just treated Ash like scum the entire episode (the people that were Norman fans), I would have given anything to see the looks on their faces when Ash actually defeated him. The positive side of the episode was seeing Ash dominate all of those trainers! Pikachu knocking out 6Pokemon in one hit, his entire team (minus Tallow) must have earned a lot of experience points!!

That “battle” was completely ridiculous, I mean a crowd is entitled to their opinions, but booing so loud that a trainer can’t order their Pokemon is completely uncalled for. If I remember correctly, in Pokemon battles the Pokemon are supposed to attack their opponents not the trainer. Then how come Ash was “unable” to battle after he was roasted by Torchic’s Ember? I know this is a little off subject, but it would be interesting to see Paul in Ash’s shoes during that episode…

I mean even Max didn’t like what was happening considering May’s ego was bursting from her ears, and he was in complete shock that the crowd said that she won the match.

Oh I guess it isn't a contest your right, funny thing was, even May's battles seemed like a cheap win :p
Your right on Ash, that part I enjoyed.

this got to be the most pointless thread I ever read. Nothing more than complaining about May and Dawn contest win.

this got to be the most pointless thread I ever read. Nothing more than complaining about May and Dawn contest win.

This is not about complaining its about comparing the two trainers in their contest matches pointing out which were their worst victories. If you don't like it then simply go to another thread instead of ruining it for the rest of us.

This is not about complaining its about comparing the two trainers in their contest matches pointing out which were their worst victories. If you don't like it then simply go to another thread instead of ruining it for the rest of us.
don't get the whole story sometimes. I voted already.

Dawn could have won the the Grand Festival if there wasn't time. Dawn's Togekiss sky attach and piplup peck combination was more powerful than Zoey Glowmeow thunderbolt and Galade combination because sky attach is a powerful move so Zoey should have lost more points than Dawn and when Gallade got thunder bolted by glowmeow she should have lost points.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom