• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May and Dawn’s Worst Contest Victories

Who had the cheapest wins?

• May

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Dawn

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Both its a tie

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Neither they both won their matches with skill

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
My least favourite contest win of Dawn's would have to be a three way tie against all of her battles with Ursula.

Pachirisu vs Gabite: Pachirisu could only use Super Fang (Sweet Kiss wasn't an option, I guess), but Gabite get badly attacking Pachirisu. Than, magically, Pachirisu's moves all hit quickly and managed to defeat Gabite. I thought that this was extremely cheesy and a rather stupid comeback sort of win.

The Double Battle: In this one, like their first battle, Dawn was doing appalling bad at the start, but then she magically was able to win in the last few seconds. The main issue with this battle was the time: someone Mamoswine and Cyndaquil were able to fir a bucnh of moves and then do a Flame-Ice Combo in the last ten/twenty seconds. It was unrealistic and irritating to watch.

Grand Festival: Again, Pachirisu and Mamoswine were getting completley obliterated, their moves missing or barely doing a thing for several minutes, but than they are somehow able to knock the two out in the end. This was the most unrealistic, as for about three minutes Pachirisu and Mamoswine didnt use any moves while getting hit by multipe Shadow Balls, Dragon Claws etc from Gabite and Flareon.

All three battles were unrealistic, very convinient for Dawn and just really, really irritating.

I can your problems with the first and third Ursula match (especially the third), but the second was a great win and one of the best Contest battles of the entire series.

Dawn Vs. Ursula Pt. II should have been their Grand Festival match. It was basically the perfect example of what Contest battles were supposed to be.

Its kinda odd how when you stop to think about it, Dawn only ever won 5 contests in her entire run. Dawn didn't have the benefit of getting a second contest arc.

Bubble vs. Thunder?

Oh yeah, the Hikari vs. Haruka battle was one such match I particularly had problems with. Sure, they may have needed Hikari to get out of her depression after failing to make it past the appeals TWICE, but... I'm kinda sketchy on details, but as I recall, both were about even, with the final actions apparently clenching it before the time was out. Given the nature of a move like Mirror Coat, when you're using it to reflect Whirlpool (a special attack), shouldn't the points go in favor of the Mirror Coat-user? Though, they never really properly establish how the hell they judge these things, but I'd think that's how it should apply.

Agreed. I see it this way; they judge the user of Whirlpool based on its beauty and execution also the opponent taking damage from the move resulting in a loss of points.

For the Mirror Coat user; they base the points on the way the mirror coat looks making the user shine and glow and then launching the attack back with 2x the power and then the whirlpool user taking double the damage so yeah Piplup should have lost more points and lost.

I can your problems with the first and third Ursula match (especially the third), but the second was a great win and one of the best Contest battles of the entire series.

Dawn Vs. Ursula Pt. II should have been their Grand Festival match. It was basically the perfect example of what Contest battles were supposed to be.

Its kinda odd how when you stop to think about it, Dawn only ever won 5 contests in her entire run. Dawn didn't have the benefit of getting a second contest arc.

It did look good and Ursula did do a very good job, but Dawn did a very awful job at the start of the match in my opinion. I think that Ursula should have won it: despite using electric moves on Mamoswine, she did a very wise thing with using Encore, and Plusle and Minun's combinations were brilliant. Flame-Ice looked a bit lackluster compared to their electric displays, and I always thought Flame-Ice was very weird and unrealistic.

I probably wouldn't have minded it if Dawn had done a good job all the way through, but it wasn't until the end when she magically was able to overcome Ursusula like the other two battles

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom