• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I couldn't bother reading alllll of that, but I just wanted to say that, while I prefer Ash to just stick to his team of 6 to allow for more focus on each of these 6 Poké (at worst, maybe catch just ONE more Poké) that comment about "Araragi gave Ash 5 Pokéballs" made me think about this... and actually, Ash did NOT waste a ball on Miju - Araragi sent him Miju's ball... so Ash wasted 3 balls on Mamepato/Tsutaja/Pokabu, assuming he'll catch Meguroco there goes the 4th ball... but he'll still have that 5th ball to use
Of course, that's assuming the writers even put so much thought into that scene of Araragi giving Ash Pokédex and balls... (though with Jessie and James each specifically getting 3 balls, I think maybe the amount of balls every character got IS a hint... but we can't be sure of that yet)

thats a good point but to add my two cents why not buy more pokeballs anyway they constantly restock anyway so why not. i think that if ash catches meguroco someone will leave the team in one way or the other, leaving room for Ash to catch one extra to make his isshu team 6(pokemon of the isshu persuasion)about the same for all the other regions

thats a good point but to add my two cents why not buy more pokeballs anyway they constantly restock anyway so why not. i think that if ash catches meguroco someone will leave the team in one way or the other, leaving room for Ash to catch one extra to make his isshu team 6(pokemon of the isshu persuasion)about the same for all the other regions

We never saw them buy balls... again, as I said, the amount of ball every one got could not mean anything, but maybe it does hint at something... we can't know that till BW is over
And no, no one will leave Ash's team... starters+bird will not leave till the last ep of BW... if anything, Meguroco itself will be the one to leave

I'm really hoping the croc isn't his, if he does get it then I hope he swaps Iris for the mole or something, seriously if they want to give him...ANOTHER...ground pokemon how about giving him one that can actually use a ground move instead of one that's loaded down with banned ones, and knowing them they'll probably forget about the ground typing all together and focus on dark--

Either that or he and Jessie need to swap flyers(and why not cause Koromori has a snowball's chance in hell of evolving under her care since thier too focused on thier job, and they need a pokemon to block Tsutarja's attract or else Ash will always beat them so who better than the pokemon who beat it to begin with.), cause the future of this team's not looking too good. Doesn't help that I can't see Mijumaru evolving with it's current attitude either despite the fact many people including myself want it to evolve, I can't see a Daikenki acting the way it does.

I can't see Mijumaru evolving with it's current attitude either despite the fact many people including myself want it to evolve, I can't see a Daikenki acting the way it does.

Miju can change and mature with the time till eventually evolving... we know that Miju can be really strong, but it's a coward and needs confidence boost from Ash to use its real powers... maybe once it'll get over these confidence problems, it'll evolve and change its personality
I actually want Miju to fully evolve but also want it to stay in its first form as long as possible, cause sadly I expect it to get a new personality when it evolves which will probably be boring compared to its current one

We never saw them buy balls... again, as I said, the amount of ball every one got could not mean anything, but maybe it does hint at something... we can't know that till BW is over
And no, no one will leave Ash's team... starters+bird will not leave till the last ep of BW... if anything, Meguroco itself will be the one to leave

Hypothetically speaking, if there is a filler saga, why would Ash bring his hypothetical Daikenki with him if it was fully evolved? I can't see a reason to do this other than it is a starter, and while I have no doubt we would see "Daikenki" in the filler saga, I don't see the reason for it to be a main Pokemon at that point. I would be more then fine if Daikenki got "oaked" so Ash could have another Pokemon get more screentime (plus a new capture) or possibly two captures in the filler saga.

Hypothetically speaking, if there is a filler saga, why would Ash bring his hypothetical Daikenki with him if it was fully evolved? I can't see a reason to do this other than it is a starter, and while I have no doubt we would see "Daikenki" in the filler saga, I don't see the reason for it to be a main Pokemon at that point. I would be more then fine if Daikenki got "oaked" so Ash could have another Pokemon get more screentime (plus a new capture) or possibly two captures in the filler saga.

Because all the starters are still on Ash and co.'s team in the filler saga. Even in the filler saga, they're still promoting the main generation so Ash isn't gonna dump the starters at Oak's. It'd probably be the wildcard and bird that could.

I'm really hoping the croc isn't his, if he does get it then I hope he swaps Iris for the mole or something, seriously if they want to give him...ANOTHER...ground pokemon how about giving him one that can actually use a ground move instead of one that's loaded down with banned ones, and knowing them they'll probably forget about the ground typing all together and focus on dark--
Level Ground, Sand Tomb, and Mud Slap are all specialized ground moves that it could learn. To an extent, rock type attacks could showcase Meguroko's ground typing. Stone Edge, Knock Down, and Sandstorm are all options. Not to mention, Doryuuzu only can learn two ground type moves that Meguroko can't: Drill Liner and Earth Power. If Meguroko learns Level Ground, Earth Power might be a bit redundant so it doesn't matter if it can't learn it. And Drill Liner is more of a physical attack move that doesn't really reflect the ground typing that much (Fearow can learn it). I mean, it's not an attack that involves shooting out mud or sand or making the ground shake.

And why shouldn't they focus on its dark typing? This would be Ash's first dark type if it gets caught. Trickery and Bark Out would be cool to see imo.

Either that or he and Jessie need to swap flyers(and why not cause Koromori has a snowball's chance in hell of evolving under her care since thier too focused on thier job, and they need a pokemon to block Tsutarja's attract or else Ash will always beat them so who better than the pokemon who beat it to begin with.), cause the future of this team's not looking too good. Doesn't help that I can't see Mijumaru evolving with it's current attitude either despite the fact many people including myself want it to evolve, I can't see a Daikenki acting the way it does.

No offense, but can you really judge how Ash's team will be like at the end of BW? I remember back when Ash had his first 6 vs. 6 battle with Paul, people were saying how there was no way Ash can beat Paul without his reserves or else it will be DEM and that there was not gonna be enough development for Ash to improve his DP team by then. Look what happened now, some people are even saying that his DP team is his best team.

So just because you don't like the team now, it doesn't mean it wouldn't get better. Especially when most of these pokemon aren't evolved yet.

Also, there's a thing called character development. Mijumaru's like a little kid right now, as time goes on, I can see it mature and become a really powerful pokemon as a Daikenki. Besides, I can't see Mijumaru stay as is by the league. Unlike Corphish who was a feisty rascal, Gible with its DM, and Buizel with its Sceptile like attitude, Mijumaru can't go on being the same character and battle in the league the same way we're seeing it now. I see it more like the Gliscor scenario where its evolution would show how it matures and becomes a better battler as time goes on. Sorta like Torchic all the way to Blaziken. And who's to say Daikenki can't have its goofy moments. Charizard's fully evolved and we know it has been a part of some humorous times on the show.

Last edited:
Miju can change and mature with the time till eventually evolving... we know that Miju can be really strong, but it's a coward and needs confidence boost from Ash to use its real powers... maybe once it'll get over these confidence problems, it'll evolve and change its personality

When was the last time a pokemon's personality changed so drastically though? That's the problem here, if a pokemon has such a deep personality like Miju does it's going to be hard to change it.

just because we dont see them purchase them doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. im just throwing that out there. in the first series Ash got his pokeballs from the prof and caught how many pokemon (not including tauros of course)its just something we dont question. remember he received the balls because he didnt initially come to isshu to go on an adventure so the prof supplied him with them. has any of the others besides Oak given him pokeballs?
and second by leaving it could be anything; sent to Oaks, traded, special training like charizard and gliscor or released a la pidgeot and butterfree for anything is possible till its proven its not

I have a feeling Ash is going to catch more then 5 Pokemon. The only times we really see development in his Pokemon are in gym battle/league episodes and those occasional episodes focusing on one of his Pokemon/other characters IMO. Really the rest of the series is mostly filler or Team Rocket, which he, most of the time, uses only Pikachu in (and the regional bird for scouting). So I think that he could catch more then 5 Pokemon while still being able to include character development, its like dman_dustin said, it just takes balance and time. Plus ya'll are forgetting that Iris and Dent are going to catch pokemon, so character development and some episodes won't be entirely focused on Ash's team. If Ash were to catch more then 5 pokemon, the writers could surprise us with gym battles, I could predict almost all the Pokemon Ash was going to use throughout gym battles in DP since he carried the same 6 Pokemon.

Also, on a small note, I'm one of the few who thinks Miju shouldn't fully evolve, It'd be awesome if he evolved into Futachimaru, but not Daikenki, but I'd probably be ok with it after a bit.

Last edited:
Level Ground, Sand Tomb, and Mud Slap are all specialized ground moves that it could learn.

Sand Tomb and Mud Slap aren't that impressive, So all that leaves is Level Ground.

Not to mention, Doryuuzu only can learn two ground type moves that Meguroko can't: Drill Liner and Earth Power.

Still more impressive than what the croc gets in terms of ground moves.

And why shouldn't they focus on its dark typing? This would be Ash's first dark type if it gets caught. Trickery and Bark Out would be cool to see imo.

What do you think Croc's do? they bite things and that's what I don't want to see, it focusing solely on bite and crunch which is probably what they'll do if he gets it, it's just like hippopotas all over again to me, only this isn't a bubble blowing baby that should be beaten senseless, but something that Ash could've already caught and didn't take the chance to do so.

No offense, but can you really judge how Ash's team will be like at the end of BW?

Maybe not, but at the same time how can you say it will be good, most of the focus has been on Mijumaru all this time, now that he has his team almost filled i've realise thier's more than we realise.

I remember back when Ash had his first 6 vs. 6 battle with Paul, people were saying how there was no way Ash can beat Paul without his reserves or else it will be DEM and that there was not gonna be enough development for Ash to improve his DP team by then. Look what happened now, some people are even saying that his DP team is his best team.

Ash did have two evo's and a "swap" between the full battle and the league but let's look at the fact's here.

Infernape who was no doubt Ash's strongest pokemon in sinnoh took down half of Paul's league team by himself. Gliscor due it's training with the air master, took down Drapion who was killing everyone, Pikachu beat Froslass like it was nothing and Buizel beat down Gastrodon.

Out of the four, Buizel and Infernape were the only two to stand out, Pikachu isn't included because nothing changed for it before the league, and Gliscor got training from an outside source thereby nullifying any "growth" because it was not Ash who brought out it's potential.

Overall it's not a good idea to use the league fight as justification for an argument because Paul didn't bring Magmortar, Torterra and Honchkrow who were key players in the lake battle into the league match, say what you will but some of us do consider that a cop out just to make Ash win over Paul. Don't get me wrong the battle was awsome and probably the best of the series but it could've been better had those three been involved instead of the "oddball four" who did quite impressive on offense but had no defense at all since they dropped too easily, especially Froslass and Ninjask who both got ko'ed so quickly it was rediculious.

So just because you don't like the team now, it doesn't mean it wouldn't get better. Especially when most of these pokemon aren't evolved yet.

The problem is unlike the past two saga's, Ash loaded his team down really quick, and i do have cause for concern as a result.

Mijumaru is funny, but at the same time too kiddy like.
Pokabu hasn't had much development at all since it's capture episode, other than being a battle drone in the gym.
Memepato is doomed to evolve into something so bland, i'd rather watch paint dry.
Tsutarja is overly hyped because of Attract, when it's other moves ain't that impressive.

Besides 5 pokemon(assuming he does get the croc.) that evolve twice is too much, and unless they pull a pidgeotto and don't evolve the bird all the way, unless the possible croc doesn't evolve, two of the starters won't be evolving due to the overwhelming ammount of evo's and that's not counting potential reserves.

And who's to say Daikenki can't have its goofy moments. Charizard's fully evolved and we know it has been a part of some humorous times on the show.

A cartoonish dragon=/=samurai warlord.

Mijumaru has to change for me to see it actually evolve into that form, Futachimaru it can stay the same, but not it's final form.

Sand Tomb and Mud Slap aren't that impressive, So all that leaves is Level Ground.
In the games, Sand Tomb and Mud Slap aren't the greatest attacks but the anime almost always hypes up a move that is normally weak in the games.

Still more impressive than what the croc gets in terms of ground moves.
Drill Liner maybe but if Meguroko gets Level Ground, it'd be redundant to use Earth Power anyway. And even then, there's other non-ground moves that Meguroko that could be just as impressive as Drill Liner (Meguroko can't just learn just ground or dark moves).

What do you think Croc's do? they bite things and that's what I don't want to see, it focusing solely on bite and crunch which is probably what they'll do if he gets it, it's just like hippopotas all over again to me, only this isn't a bubble blowing baby that should be beaten senseless, but something that Ash could've already caught and didn't take the chance to do so.
Again, Trickery and Bark Out are other possible choices. It doesn't need to use Bite or Crunch all the time.

Maybe not, but at the same time how can you say it will be good, most of the focus has been on Mijumaru all this time, now that he has his team almost filled i've realise thier's more than we realise.
I haven't said it would be good either. I just said there's no way of knowing they'd be bad at this point and that there's always chances that they could be good.

Ash did have two evo's and a "swap" between the full battle and the league but let's look at the fact's here.

Infernape who was no doubt Ash's strongest pokemon in sinnoh took down half of Paul's league team by himself. Gliscor due it's training with the air master, took down Drapion who was killing everyone, Pikachu beat Froslass like it was nothing and Buizel beat down Gastrodon.

Out of the four, Buizel and Infernape were the only two to stand out, Pikachu isn't included because nothing changed for it before the league, and Gliscor got training from an outside source thereby nullifying any "growth" because it was not Ash who brought out it's potential.

Overall it's not a good idea to use the league fight as justification for an argument because Paul didn't bring Magmortar, Torterra and Honchkrow who were key players in the lake battle into the league match, say what you will but some of us do consider that a cop out just to make Ash win over Paul. Don't get me wrong the battle was awsome and probably the best of the series but it could've been better had those three been involved instead of the "oddball four" who did quite impressive on offense but had no defense at all since they dropped too easily, especially Froslass and Ninjask who both got ko'ed so quickly it was rediculious.

Despite the changes in Paul's team, the DP team was still seen as a strong team by the end. Again, I was just saying how if the writers can make the DP stronger and a good team at the end, they could potentially do the same for the BW team.

The problem is unlike the past two saga's, Ash loaded his team down really quick, and i do have cause for concern as a result.

Mijumaru is funny, but at the same time too kiddy like.
See I was thinking that its evolutions would equate to its character development. Mijumaru is a cowardly kid that tries hard, Futachimaru could be the overconfident teenager, Daikenki would be the mature, noble, samurai. Not that hard to see.

Pokabu hasn't had much development at all since it's capture episode, other than being a battle drone in the gym.
And it has been what, 3 episodes since it was caught. Development doesn't happen that quickly. It took more than 100 episodes for Chimchar to finally evolve.

Memepato is doomed to evolve into something so bland, i'd rather watch paint dry.
I'll give you that. But if it does have more special attacks than physical, it'd at least have a more unique battling style than Swellow or Staraptor.

Tsutarja is overly hyped because of Attract, when it's other moves ain't that impressive.
Grass Oath wasn't impressive? Because it looked pretty beastly imo. And we all know Ash can make good use of that Vine Whip. There's other moves it can learn in the future too. And just because you don't like its moves, doesn't mean its battling style won't be impressive. There's a difference between a move and how you perform a move.

Besides 5 pokemon(assuming he does get the croc.) that evolve twice is too much, and unless they pull a pidgeotto and don't evolve the bird all the way, unless the possible croc doesn't evolve, two of the starters won't be evolving due to the overwhelming ammount of evo's and that's not counting potential reserves.
And that's a bad thing because...? Not to mention, there is some room for evos. For example: Daikenki, Kenhorou, Waruvial, and one of the other two starters evolving once or twice would equal DP's evolutions. Now sure one starter won't evolve all the way (or at all) if Meguroko and Mamepato evolve all the way but I'm personally fine with it (as long as it's not Mijumaru).

A cartoonish dragon=/=samurai warlord.
I thought you were the one that doesn't take looks into consideration? Even if Daikenki is supposed to be a samurai warlord, it doesn't mean it couldn't have some fun moments. It's personality can't be too stagnant.

Mijumaru has to change for me to see it actually evolve into that form, Futachimaru it can stay the same, but not it's final form.
And I think it can. Again...character development. And it's not going to be too drastic of a change. More so a gradual change that we can watch and see for ourselves. It's not like it's one personality to another. The whole kid -> teen -> adult idea works pretty well for Mijumaru imo.

By the league time, I don't think Ash is going to have a Mijumaru that acts the same kid like battler. I mean Ash's past unevolved pokemon had something about them that toughens them up imo. And I don't think Futachimaru would be the type to be the exact same personality as Mijumaru. With that said, I don't think there's anything holding back for Mijumaru to become Daikenki. It'd also make for some great episodes probably and considering Mijumaru seems to be Ash's main starter, it'd make sense to devote some screentime towards Mijumaru and possible character development and evolution.

I thought you were the one that doesn't take looks into consideration?

Only when it comes to not fitting Ash.

when the pokemon's personality is the biggest factor it's a whole different ball game.

Even if Daikenki is supposed to be a samurai warlord, it doesn't mean it couldn't have some fun moments. It's personality can't be too stagnant.

while yes most of Ash's fully evolved guys have had their funny moments, when it came time for battle they got thier game faces on and threw down all they had, i mean was Infernape "funny" when it was slaughtering Paul's guys in the league?

Daikenki must be a serious fighter to be taken seriously that is my point.

As far as Tsutarja and Pokabu go, either neither one evolves or they both go once. Like i've said before Sceptile dominated AG, and Infernape DP so we've seen enough fire and grass premotion it's waters turn to take the forefront while the other two stay back.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like Mijumaru and everything, but the thing is, is that it is funny, but I really don't want its humor to get old or lost when/if it evolves. I would love for it to evolve, but not become bland. I'm torn with Mijumaru, I want to love it, but not get my hopes up.

I think at the end of it all, Miju will be Ash's strongest though, and if Ash somehow wins the League this saga, Miju or Pika will be the one to win it for him.

while yes most of Ash's fully evolved guys have had their funny moments, when it came time for battle they got thier game faces on and threw down all they had, i mean was Infernape "funny" when it was slaughtering Paul's guys in the league?

Obviously I meant funny moments as in after a serious battle Daikenki shows its affection for Ash like using Water Gun on him or something. I didn't mean during the battle. Just off battle, Daikenki could have some goofy moments that resemble its character as a Mijumaru. Obviously like I said, it's gonna be serious and be more mature. But when it comes to fun or celebration, its kid self could pop out for a second. I mean when it's time to be a serious warrior, it will definitely be a serious warrior and I think that will be Daikenki's main personality. But just like people, even if someone is super serious, it's not like there isn't that moment where they have that child-like personality for a short while.

I definitely don't think we'd be seeing Miju's funny side while battling in the late future. It's going to improve and I think evolution would be a natural way to show improvements and maturity as it travels with Ash. Since it does seem to be the main starter for Ash at this point, it'd be weird to see it star just as a Mijumaru. It's not like Ash is doing contests and evolution really doesn't matter. So I think it is evolving and yeah there will be a personality change. Even though it's all lovable now, I think it'd be some cool character development to see it mature right before our eyes. And maybe in the future, if it's a Daikenki, it'd be cool to see how much it has grown and how it has become a noble samurai sea lion.

As far as Tsutarja and Pokabu go, either neither one evolves or they both go once. Like i've said before Sceptile dominated AG, and Infernape DP so we've seen enough fire and grass premotion it's waters turn to take the forefront while the other two stay back.
Agreed, also why Mijumaru should evolve...we've gone through 4 straight series with fire and grass evos. Charizard, Bayleef, Sceptile, then Infernape. It really is time for a water starter to evolve and with Mijumaru taking up spotlight already, hopefully the writers are developing it into a pokemon that will be a powerhouse in the future. Especially with Sceptile's and Infernape's warrior themes going on with them, Daikenki would be a perfect fit.

Agreed, also why Mijumaru should evolve...we've gone through 4 straight series with fire and grass evos. Charizard, Bayleef, Sceptile, then Infernape. It really is time for a water starter to evolve and with Mijumaru taking up spotlight already, hopefully the writers are developing it into a pokemon that will be a powerhouse in the future. Especially with Sceptile's and Infernape's warrior themes going on with them, Daikenki would be a perfect fit.

I really think this is part of the reason Miju's getting so much spotlight anyway. I think this is the thing they're trying to go for, to be honest.

if Ash catches meguroco u guys forget that it can still learn the pinnacle ground move earthquake. along with thief and payback as possible starting dark moves on top of bite and crunch. and dont underestimate him learning other typed moves such as rock, dragon, poison, fire and electric.
move set that id like him with is
beat up, level ground, thunder fang, and return

we haven't seen earthqauke since AG

and chances are it'll never appear again

I'm not sure. I think it only really happened because of the bad timing of nature. It's not like Porygon.

We could still see it again...

I'm not sure. I think it only really happened because of the bad timing of nature. It's not like Porygon.

We could still see it again...
Didn't Torterra use Earthquake against Paul's Drapion? Unless that was another Ground based move. And I assume you mean the episode where Whiscash uses Earthquake that correlated with the Tsunami?

I was wondering, who do you all think on Ash's team is gonna evolve first? It's obvious that somebody will evolve.

My guess is either miju or mamepato since miju is used most frequently and if I'm correct, the evolved form of mamepato is in the opening near the end.

Back
Top Bottom