• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

It may just be because male Unfeazant has more going for it aesthetically speaking, so he's the preferred choice for merchandising, even if it is inconsistent with Ash's team.

That's what I'm thinkin' too, but you know...any evidence against the inevitable is good for me XD

Nothing at all and focus on the team he has now...other than Mijumaru...:(

I said this over at Serebii and i'll say it again, he can develop his pokemon now as much as you would like, but come some point he's going to catch another pokemon which is going to cause the same chaos these "potential" captures are causing now, so there is no getting out of the fact that some poke's are gonna get cheated at some point.

Regardless of when, the chaos will happen.

I still don't know why people prefer Ash get Pokemon last minute like Phanpy, Snorunt, Aipom, and Gible rather than have Ash catch them as early as possible.

True maybe Ash should've just stopped at Sewaddle/Swadloon and that could've been his Gible, Snorunt Pokemon and developed early like I would want.

But at the same time I can't just imagine Ash with the same team from the beginning for a long time after with just evolutions. Honestly right before the sixth gym is the perfect time for Ash to always get his last and final Pokemon. Not after the sixth gym, right before (like an episode before), since I think approximately the span of three gyms is plenty of time to develop "last" minute captures.

Now with Roggenrola, I'm confused, I've seen many people say that want Ash to rotate, and when the writers are doing just that by giving Ash a variety of Pokemon, instead of embracing people instead are like "too many Pokemon."

I just cannot see why anyone prefers something like what's happened in the past, when a series of about a hundred and fifty episodes and by only episode 40, Ash only has approximately 3-4 Pokemon.

And the argument that too many Pokemon take away screen time from Ash's other Pokemon. How is Best Wishes any different than say Sinnoh, when really the only Pokemon at the time (episode number wise) who was developed was Turtwig and even then that might be slightly over exaggerating the fact.

I mean sure Starly evolved, but it didn't get any screen time at all, though it did battle less than Pidove before evolving, and evolved much earlier too.

So if something like Sinnoh who spaced their evolutions gave jack shit treatment to Ash's Pokemon when they had the chance, how is Best Wishes worse? Including this Thursday's episode Ash has:

6 Unova Pokemon

2 evolved Pokemon

Everyone has been in a battle, and everyone but Tranquill, and Scraggy have gotten wins.

The character dynamic between their Pokemon is far greater than the past. I mean did any of Ash's Sinnoh Pokemon generally interact with each other in the same way they have in Best Wishes? The only one who had any interaction with another in the general sense was Gible but that was with Dawn's Piplup (Pikachu can be included into this though since Ash always has it, I don't want to count it.).

Ash has the most personality ridden team yet. Well in the sense that Oshawott, Snivy, and Scraggy brim with so much personality, it feels like Ash's other teams failed in personality.

Right now the only Pokemon who lacks appearance is Ash's Swadloon. In combination to it's pre-evolution. It only appeared at most in 6 episodes (if you include the possible Plasma Rocket episodes though it's more like 4 episodes). But then some people don't care for Swadloon, so I don't think I care too much that people would think Swadloon is screwed over. People apparently care more about Tranquill.

Anyway back to my point. I really don't think it matters if Ash gets a total of 10 Pokemon from BW001 to BW040, what happens was going to happen regardless of the 'when.' So the arguments to me are invalid. Sure you can argue Tranquill could've been used against Burgh if Ash didn't get Sewaddle, but then Oshawott would probably have been more likely, seeing as how it wanted to battle Burg's Leavanny. Seems like Sewaddle saved it from being a complete rehash of the first gym.

Too many Pokemon? Hardly. When Ash has 10 or more Unova Pokemon then sure I'll agree with you. But with Roggenrola, eight Pokemon is hardly too many Pokemon. That in the games and the anime is only the equivalent to a full team + two reserves. And since Ash always has Pikachu, six of a generation's Pokemon is mandatory.

Plus you need to think of the league. I've heard people say they liked Hoenn, but my god, it lacked variety. Sinnoh sucked merely because at least one Sinnoh Pokemon; Torterra got royally screwed over.

And with Ash facing up to over 20 Pokemon most likely. With a total of approximately nine Pokemon on Ash's team (including Pikachu). Each Pokemon is guaranteed at least one win, not to mention, with eight Unova Pokemon Ash has more variety to work with, and he can switch out a Pokemon.

I think that surpasses Hoenn. Because not only would Ash only use his Unova Region, he'd have a lot more variety to work with.

I seriously think Ash should've lost the Hoenn League, not because his Pikachu lost to Meowth but because Ash used the same Pokemon over and over, and his opponent found a way to beat Ash's Pokemon.

See this is why I disagree with some of you people's arguments. No person is guaranteed to always win with the same boring crap over and over. A strategy or tactic that worked once, isn't guaranteed to work twice. This is the primary reason why I like Ash with a large variety of Pokemon.

Sure maybe using the same Pokemon over and over, is supposed to imply that you can win with them because they have experience under their belt and are really powerful.

But a true powerful Pokemon trainer, can raise a Pokemon from scratch to a very powerful Pokemon when all is said and done.

But a true powerful Pokemon trainer, can raise a Pokemon from scratch to a very powerful Pokemon when all is said and done.
Which is what a Pokémon Master should be able to do, to bring out the best in each of his Pokémon.

I like the fact he's getting more Pokémon, more variety of types (I don't believe he ever had a rock type before), which will serve him well at the league. This time the writers will pull off the "Hoenn" Unova league correctly with Ash being capable to switch over several different Pokémon with different strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention if he also gets that Waruvile, which is highly likely to happen later in the series.

Don't forget that Gigalith was one of the earliest leaked BW Pokemon, which would make it more marketable even if none of the main characters in the anime actually caught one, simply because it has "seniority".

Kind of like how there's a whole lot of Hihidaruma merchandise out there, even though the Pokemon's brief appearances in the anime were of little importance.

Let me take a wild guess here and assume this is yet another "Ash should catch stuff early and develop them gradually instead of at the last minute" marathon post. Again, the answer is simple: nice in theory, but it's just not translating into the practical. We're 33 episodes into the series and half of the pokémon on Ash's team don't yet have a defined personality (Hatoboh, Pokabu, Kurumayu, most don't get enough focus (Tsutarja, Hatoboh, Zuruggu) and are lacking in the developpement front. Three don't yet have a gym battle and some don't even have a win in a trainer battle, and let's not forget the writers ar whoring the heck out of Mijumaru. The writers have yet to master it with 6 pokémon, down right fail to do it with 7 pokémon, what's it gonna be with 8-10 pokémon...

Introducing the reserves early is just not translating into more developpement from everybody, it's translating as less for everybody, where as before, all the pokémon on Ash's Sinnoh had their time in the lime light, had a personality that was focused on as some point and even the last minute reserve got a personality/storyline/good battles.

Again, introducing reserves early and rotating might be nice in theory, but it's just not working in the practical.

As such, I really don't wanna see Dangoro or Gamagaru on Ash's team. It's just gonna take even more away from the pokémon right now on the main cast.

Let me take a wild guess here and assume this is yet another "Ash should catch stuff early and develop them gradually instead of at the last minute" marathon post. Again, the answer is simple: nice in theory, but it's just not translating into the practical. We're 33 episodes into the series and half of the pokémon on Ash's team don't yet have a defined personality (Hatoboh, Pokabu, Kurumayu, most don't get enough focus (Tsutarja, Hatoboh, Zuruggu) and are lacking in the developpement front. Three don't yet have a gym battle and some don't even have a win in a trainer battle. The writers have yet to master it with 6 pokémon, down right fail to do it with 7 pokémon, what's it gonna be with 8-10 pokémon...

Introducing the reserves early is just not translating into more developpement from everybody, it's translating as less for everybody, where as before, all the pokémon on Ash's Sinnoh had their time in the lime light, had a personality that was focused on as some point and even the last minute reserve got a personality/storyline/good battles.

Again, introducing reserves early and rotating might be nice in theory, but it's just not working in the practical.
Zuruggu is being given, a lot of attention though.

Zuruggu is being given, a lot of attention though.

No he's not. He's yet to be in a real trainer battle, yet to train with Ash, hasn't really interacted with any of the other pokémon past episode 20. Really, as the baby pokémon and the one with the most growing up to do, he's severely underused right now. So are Tsutarja and Hatoboh.

None of those three are being developped in the slightest. Neither is Pokabu and Kurumayu. They're pretty much dead in the water right now with Mijumaru and Pikachu just hogging the screen time.

No he's not. He's yet to be in a real trainer battle, yet to train with Ash, hasn't really interacted with any of the other pokémon past episode 20. Really, as the baby pokémon and the one with the most growing up to do, he's severely underused right now. So are Tsutarja and Hatoboh.

None of those three are being developped in the slightest. Neither is Pokabu and Kurumayu. They're pretty much dead in the water right now with Mijumaru and Pikachu just hogging the screen time.

That doesn't change the fact he's being given more attention then other Pokemon, other then Mijumaru.

Yeah, he's trained with Satoshi, he is his trainer. "Emonga vs. Tsutarja! The Volt Change Madness!!" in this episode he got into a fight with the other male Pokemon of Satoshi's. Yes, he has interacted.

Tsutarja has a pretty good battling record if you ask me, she isn't underused at all. I mean what do you expect of her just outta curiosity.

What is Pikachu hogging? That one episode where he learned Elec Ball, Arti's Gym Battle, and Pod's battle? He is the mascot so he's not gonna be in a Ball, but that doesn't mean he's getting this huge immense time in the shine.

Kurumayu did take on Arti and learn Energy Ball he's defiantly getting stronger. Still don't know what you mean by "underdeveloped".

That doesn't change the fact he's being given more attention then other Pokemon, other then Mijumaru.

There still hasn't been an episode focusing on Zuruggu really since BW017.

Yeah, he's trained with Satoshi, he is his trainer.

We barely see him do it though.

he got into a fight with the other male Pokemon of Satoshi's. Yes, he has interacted.

No real relationships were formed there, and his interactions with Kibago, his supposed "big brother" were inexistent after BW017.

I mean what do you expect of her just outta curiosity.

More.

What is Pikachu hogging?

Screen time.

Kurumayu did take on Arti and learn Energy Ball he's defiantly getting stronger.

That's 3-5 minutes, I'm talking about the black hole of nothing that's his other appearances where it shows a big bowl of nothing.

Still don't know what you mean by "underdeveloped".

Character growth, overcoming flaws, fears, a change in personality. We've seen nothing from anybody but Mijumaru up until now. Most of the pokémon on Ash's team still feel like strangers at this points where they've all been on the main cast for at least 15 episodes

Zuruggu and Tsutarja have personality, but both lack developpement, battles and screen time. Hatoboh doesn't have much of anything, still nothing really definitive personality wise, none of the traits shown as a Mamepato have appeared since evolving, and lacks developpement, battles, screen time. Pokabu has enough battles, but still nothing on the personality or developpement side.

So yeah. All of them are incomplete at the moment. Mijumaru is the only one that's really been focused on. Adding one more pokémon is only gonna aggravate the situation.

We do not know how long this series will last, so there is no reason for the writers to want to rush Scraggy's development. If the writers spent 1 or 2 episodes having Scraggy learn the moves that the game counterpart can, there is little reason for them to continue to portray it over the rest of Ash's reserves. Then, and only then, Scraggy will be seen less and less often as the pokemon that are already "hogging the screentime," in your words, continue to receive more of it. Even if it is little by little, Scraggy is being granted a partial amount of emphasis.

Scraggy has showed a personality outside his debut appearance. He is headstrong and stubborn. This was why Scraggy decided to stay outside its Poke Ball and decided to help out the Cottonee in BW032. Whether they are repetitive or not, Scraggy's fights with Axew add a layer of comic relief that is rarely seen in this series. The writers are going for a contrast between Scraggy's "Buizel-esque" personality in which he loves to test his strength against other pokemon, and the pokemon's actual weak prowess in battle, right now. To me, this is hilarious and very unique. I am glad that the writers are not making a baby pokemon an equal member of a team after it hatched. This is why I didn't like Phanpy, because it hardly stood out in any way. Scraggy's endeavors and personality, even if it failed to battle a true opponent yet, make it stand out.

With that said, we really do not know how long it will take until this series will end. It is not like the members of Ash's other teams received much more development than any members from Ash's previous teams at around this time. The only difference at this point is that Ash has three battles, so the fans are only assuming that this region will be shorter than the previous ones. In addition, writers are adding more variety to Ash's team rather than the simple grass-fire-water beatdown team + Pikachu formula.

I don't know what you mean by Snivy, but when she is shown battling several wild pokemon, interacting with the other pokemon on a regular basis, and is now battling a rival, Snivy is receiving a fair amount of focus. She isn't being neglected or underused quite on the level that Tranquill or Swadloon are. Snivy is lacking overall development (perhaps because Ash does not see a reason to train a pokemon who is already so powerful), yet is still receiving a fair amount of screentime for a pokemon who has yet to compete in a gym battle. It is simply the matter of the writers finding a medium to which Ash and Snivy can develop, which can only happen if both of them are pushed to the limits. However, Snivy is fairly powerful for a pokemon who has yet to be in a gym battle. Snivy has mastered all of her moves, unlike Oshawott or Scraggy, who are in desperate need for allotted training time right now.

As far as I am concerned, a pokemon does not need to be portrayed as a "human being with feelings and a conscious desire to improve its strength" to be given the screentime that it deserves. That personality can be shown elsewhere outside of a battle, which is arguably the one place in which a pokemon's personality is repressed the most. The personality can help to introduce or improve a relationship between Ash and a pokemon, but it is not necessary. (Some pokemon like Swellow, Staraptor, and Cyndaquil still received a fair amount of development despite not having a noteworthy personality.)

At the same time, we don't need to see a fluid team relationship between the members of Ash's team. That isn't necessary to convey a sense of growth, either (Bulbasaur and Squirtle, etc.) What truly matters is how much Ash and that pokemon are seen training on-screen. In that respect, Tepig received that emphasis back in BW016. Initially Tepig would be disappointed if he failed to live up to Ash's standards. This was to reference Tepig's previous abandonment, and even Lenora was able to see it. As of BW030, Tepig has placed enough trust in Ash's empathy towards it that he no longer feels the need to overcompensate for his trainer's satisfaction.

The majority of Scraggy's battles with Axew are most likely added in by the writers and animators to "fill up" an episode without TRio's presence. Even if that thinking is flawed, the writers are attempting to make the first few minutes of an episode somewhat proactive to that development and focus. On a more positive note, as soon as the writers complete Oshawott mastering Aqua Jet, they could get right into Scraggy learning a few new attacks. Nothing is definite.

Last edited:
There still hasn't been an episode focusing on Zuruggu really since BW017.
Neither has there been one for any other Pokemon except Tsutarja and Mijumaru and Pikachu if you count the episode with the Koaruhi.

We barely see him do it though.
What? I still don't get what your saying, he's often is seen training with Satoshi on a regular basis every one to three episodes

No real relationships were formed there, and his interactions with Kibago, his supposed "big brother" were inexistent after BW017.
I still don't see what that has to do with everything. Pokemon don't have to have personalities that stick out a lot to be strong. There obviously not going to give every Pokemon one. Like Ishizumai who doesn't have a "huge" personalities but, I still find much better then other Pokemon. Your expecting a little too much out of a childrens' show.

But what? You have to much more specific. I still don't see how Tsutarja's being underused compared to the others her battling record looks just fine to me.

Screen time.
Again? What screen time? That one Koaruhi ep and the two gyms?

That's 3-5 minutes, I'm talking about the black hole of nothing that's his other appearances where it shows a big bowl of nothing.
Seems ok for a Pokemon caught in ep 18 came out for Kaberune in 19. 20, 21, and 22 were eps to star other Pokes anyway. But, a gym battle 7 eps after captures seems like a awesome appearance.

Character growth, overcoming flaws, fears, a change in personality. We've seen nothing from anybody but Mijumaru up until now. Most of the pokémon on Ash's team still feel like strangers at this points where they've all been on the main cast for at least 15 episodes

Zuruggu and Tsutarja have personality, but both lack developpement, battles and screen time. Hatoboh doesn't have much of anything, still nothing really definitive personality wise, none of the traits shown as a Mamepato have appeared since evolving, and lacks developpement, battles, screen time. Pokabu has enough battles, but still nothing on the personality or developpement side.

So yeah. All of them are incomplete at the moment. Mijumaru is the only one that's really been focused on. Adding one more pokémon is only gonna aggravate the situation.
Tsutarja and Zuruggu are being used though regardless, you can't deny that. Pokabu did train for the Shippou gym with Satoshi. Still don't see why every Pokemon needs a big personality. There animals not humans.

We do not know how long this series will last, so there is no reason for the writers to want to rush Scraggy's development.

You do know there's a difference between rushing through developpement and not developping at all, right? A little bit more interactions with Ash, or with the other pokémon on Ash's team, a little 1-on-1 training with Ash. More personality, establishing a storyline, and maybe an actual battle.

Neither has there been one for any other Pokemon except Tsutarja and Mijumaru and Pikachu if you count the episode with the Koaruhi.

Right... so how is adding one more pokémon to Ash's roster gonna help that situation again? Oh wait, it really won't.

What? I still don't get what your saying, he's often is seen training with Satoshi on a regular basis every one to three episodes

A sparring match with Kibago isn't really training. There's no progress made, no problems established that need solving, just nothing. It's not developpement.

There obviously not going to give every Pokemon one.

They should.

Your expecting a little too much out of a childrens' show.

LE GASP, I'm expecting a writer to make his characters relelvant to the narrative and give them personality, which by the way is th barest minimum any writer should do. It's not expecting too much, I'm expecting basic storytelling skills from them.

Tsutarja and Zuruggu are being used though regardless, you can't deny that.

Not nearly as much as they should, not nearly as much as they need to be in order to really be developped.

Still don't see why every Pokemon needs a big personality. There animals not humans.

missingthepoint.png

You know what? This is not even worth it.

Last edited:
I kind of agree...the whole personality thing is a bit overplayed lately here on the forum, and to be honest even without an easy-to-pinpoint personality I think a viewer can like a Pokemon quite a bit based on their species alone...I know that's the case for me with Sewaddle and Dwebble, and Palpitoad or Roggenrola if either one of them join.

So, I'm all for either Palpitoad or Roggenrola joining or, hell, both. Bring it on I say.

Back
Top Bottom