• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Misconceptions

I used to think that the "must have badge for pokemon to listen to you" applied to OT pokemon as well. x.x I panicked when my pikachu on Yellow went one level above my cap, and I was like oh god oh god he's not gonna listen to me and when he did I was just like.. Well maybe he just really likes me. >____>

I remember thinking that when playing LG for the first time.

My main misconception was that EVs could be gained by pokemon that were already at Lv. 100.

I'm just now getting the hang of EV training. I hope it's still in Black and White versions, otherwise my theory that Nintendo is against competitive play would be proven once again. (It was proven when they removed Wavedashing from brawl, and a second time when they got rid of snaking and made Blue Shells much more common in Mario Kart Wii. 3 blue shells in one race? Call me a "haxor", but if that's the case, I'd rather homebrew my Wii and dial those demonic things out of the game than lose just because I kept getting nuked.)

It may be likely,the new gen is not that llng away.
btw snaking in mario kart wii is possible.

Yes, but only on wide straightaways with an outer-drift kart or bike. I mainly use inner-drift bikes like the Flame Runner or Mach Bike due to their better handling when drifting, so it isn't an option.

There's a cheat code that allows you to do it (instant mini-turbo), but you're a noob if you use that. Hackers that just mess around are cool, hackers that cheat to win are losers.

But right now I will have to post something I've had to post many times on Necrontyr Online. Mario Kart Wii is:
ErrorMessage10-1.png

Anyway, another misconception I have (and due to a theory I have, it might end up being "true") is that Pokemon can live for an incredibly long time (several millennia, even) if cared for properly (I don't see a wild pokemon living for that long, and especially not one raised by a rocket, but I could see a prized pokemon being passed down for dozens of generations).

I still maintain that moves with stat changes as their primary effect are next to useless, if its a side effect of an attack, I'll paralyz poisen etc though

Until pretty recently, I had that opinion too, until I saw the math and realized just how powerful some of these moves are. Iron Defence, for example: Just using it a single time means all the enemy's physical attacks do only half damage.

My friend told me that using the Master Ball corrupted your data and was the Pokeball equivalent of Missingno. Never used it.

I thought False Swipe was a great move in Gym and Competitive Battling.

I thought that using Ember enough would make it more powerful. So I never learned Flamethrower (I blame the anime for this)

I followed one of those "cheats" where you beat the Elite Four, caught all of the legendaries, etc, and got 999:59 on your clock and then restarted, named your character something ridiculous, got a different starter, talked to certain people in your first town, and then talked to one of the trees, it activated the floating glitch and you could find a Mew there. Needless to say, I really wanted that Mew. (the video's probably still on Youtube if you need it)

I've allways wonderd why having a badge makes pokemon listen to you,and on that matter, how is it that you can't smash rocks or cut trees without a gym badge either

I spent a week trying to get my Growlithe in Silver to flamethrower down a tree before i figured it out

Last edited:
When I was like 5 and played through Red my first time I thought that the pokeball on the counter in the Pokemon Center was mine, and that it was a trap set by Team Rocket. I kept pressing A on it to try and get it back. Then, about 3 months later, my cousin showed me that I still had my Squirtle and told me that Team Rocket only set traps like that in the show... >_<

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom