• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

well, im teaching it to a very slow pokemon, so the flinch effect wont happen, so i think i'll go with ice punch, cheers :)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Well, I'm back -- this time with a more specific breeding question.

I have a Luxray with 30 Sp. Atack IVs, and a Shellos with 31 Speed IVs. I want to get those IVs onto an Eevee. I know Luxray can breed with Eevee, and I have a few Eevees produced that way. I also know that Bidoof can breed with Shellos, Eevee, and Luxray. However, when I tried breeding some of my Bidoof with my Luxray or Shellos, those IVs weren't always on par with the EVs from the parents.

My latest Bidoof, bred from my Luxray, has these IVs: 0 - 29 / 10 - 29 / 0 - 19 / 14, 19, 24, 29 / 0 - 19 / 0 - 29

The Bidoof before that, bred from the son of my Shellos, has these IVs: 0 - 1 / 10 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 14 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 23

What's going on? I know the IVs of the Bidoof I used to breed weren't stellar, but I thought those would be replaced by the IVs from the other parent -- instead, while they're still higher than the parent Bidoof's, they're lower than the parent Luxray/Shellos. Can anyone help me out?

Oh, by the way...my 31 Speed IV Shellos is female, so I bred it to get a male, but the same thing happened -- the male that hatched had good Speed IVs, but not the same as the mother's. My Luxray is male, and the only female Eevee I have has these IVs: Timid #133 Eevee: 29 - 30 / 21 - 24 / 12 - 14 / 0 - 2 / 31 / 10 - 12 (HP Fire)

Please? I'd really like some help with this. This is my first real attempt at IV breeding, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Please? I'd really like some help with this. This is my first real attempt at IV breeding, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm finding it a little hard to follow your post, and I'm not sure *exactly* what you're asking, but as far as I can tell, you're not doing anything wrong, per se. I can tell you though, that the longer you try to make a breeding chain, the harder and more frustrating it will be to get an end result with the exact EVs you want. Seriously, even when I breed with two parents where each has one of the IVs I want to pass on to the baby, for a finished product, it takes FOREVER to get it on a baby that also has the right nature/ability. This is why people like to save in front of Daycare Man, so that they can reset for the IVs if the Pokemon has the right nature/ability. I find this to be extremely tedious and not much better than just hatching as many eggs as possible, though.

Really, my best advice would be to try to get the 30 special attack IV from your Luxray on to an Eevee (preferably female of the right nature, I'd imagine) and then just use that Eevee and try your luck for a good speed IV. You could, in that case, just try to catch or hatch any male Pokemon in the field group with an IV of 31 in speed and just breed that with your Eevee (like, if you can get the 31 from Shellos on to a male Bidoof). Still though, expect it to take a long time to be able to pass both those IVs on to a final product Eevee.

I suggest reading this article in depth, as it explains how IVs are calculated, and you can see why it may take so long before you get what you want.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part1#3A

^ so basically...keep breeding my Luxray and Eevee, and hope that those 30 Sp. Atk IVs get passed down, and that the Speed IV is randomly good? I can't really check the IVs of my Luxray any more in-depth, seeing as how it's my in-game one, so I have no record at all of how many EVs it may have gotten, or what they are (and I also hardly have any stat-reducing berries).

Basically, I suppose my questions are this:
1. How do I get that 31 Speed IV onto an Eevee when Shellos can't breed with Eevee?
2. Why is it that when I breed a parent with good IVs in a particular stat, the offspring's IVs in that stat are lower, but not as low as the other parent's?

I did read that guide, Dukeburger, and thank you for it, but if the answer that I'm getting from it is "everything's random," that's a tad depressing. :-/

All right, I'm a little confused now - how do you know that your Luxray has an IV of 30 in sp atk, then? Is it because it keeps getting passed down, yet you know your Eevee has a different IV in that stat? But yes, if you're sure that your Luxray has that IV, then I would try to breed until you get it passed on to a female Eevee of the right nature.

The answer to question 1 would be to breed that 31 speed IV to a male Bidoof. If you are able to get a female Eevee with the 30 in special attack, then breed those two until you pass on both IVs to a new baby Eevee.

Question 2 is a little trickier to answer, but my best guess is just that you're looking for patterns where there may not be any. IVs don't average together or anything like that - the ones that don't get an exact IV from either parent are then randomly generated. The baby Pokemon can inherit anywhere from 1 to 3 IVs from its parents.

It may be helpful for you to see this if you do what I do - get a notebook and make charts for yourself (or I don't see why you can't do this in Excel, but I like having a hand-written, hard copy). If you hatch a few babies, write out all of their IVs. You will definitely start to see patterns and know which IVs are getting inherited. The real reason I do this though is because I generally do IV breeding in steps - usually I have to start with only one parent with good IVs, but then I'll hatch a bunch of babies and then write out all their IVs so that I can carefully choose which one(s) I should use so that I can breed with two parents with good IVs (basically this is what I am suggesting to you by breeding a 30 special attack female Eevee and a 31 speed male Bidoof, and then breeding those together).

If you look at section 3 of that breeding guide though, you will see charts that give you your odds depending on what IVs you are breeding for. You should have a 1/17 chance of getting a baby Eevee with 30 in special attack and 31 in speed. Yes, sometimes it does take a REALLY long time for that to 1/17 chance to happen. But it's better than going totally from scratch.

I got the 30 Sp. Atk IV figure from it's trait, "Highly Curious." Though...I suppose that IV could just as easily be 25, or 20, or 15... >.<

I actually have been keeping track...just of the Eevees, though. I think I got a good one for Sp. Atk, but the speed still stinks: (male) Timid #133 Eevee: 24 - 29 / 0 - 14 / 25 - 30 / 30 / 20 - 29 / 0 - 9 (HP Fire). I actually hadn't noticed that before, I think I had gotten it confused with Sp. Def.

So, given the mother's IVs (Timid #133 Eevee: 29 - 30 / 21 - 24 / 12 - 14 / 0 - 2 / 31 / 10 - 12 (HP Fire)), should I just breed her with the Eevee with 30 Sp. Atk IV and hope for a randomly good speed, or should I still try to get it over from the Shellos?

Yes, breed the two Eevees, until you can pass on the 30 special attack to another female, Timid Eevee. Who knows, save all of your Eevees until that happens, and maybe one of them will have good speed. If not, then yes, I would recommend getting the speed IV over from Shellos.

All right... -_- this is more tedious than I thought it'd be. Thank you for all your help, though, dukeburger!

Can anyone suggest a move to round out this Heatran set?

Buckethead (Heatran, M)
Flash Fire
Timid

Lava Plume
Earth Power
Explosion
Hidden Power (Dragon) <- I'm looking to replace this.

I looked up its moves. Here are my options from what I can see:
Dragon Pulse (for more power)
Dark Pulse (for a bit of coverage on things like Starmie)
Flash Cannon (for STAB)

I'm also contemplating changing Lava Plume for a different fire move. It's good enough as it is (decent base power and burn chance) but Flamethrower and Heat Wave are stronger. Failing that I could always gamble with Fire Blast, Overheat or Magma Storm. So yeah...
'Sup.

A bit of help with this might be nice. =P

I'd run Dragon Pulse over Hidden Power, and Flamethrower over Lava Plume... using a shaky accuracy move as your main STAB attack kinda irks me, hence no Fire Blast, but blah. lol

To be honest, I'm not an Explosion fan and would run Dark Pulse over that but I think that's just me..

I'd run Dragon Pulse over Hidden Power, and Flamethrower over Lava Plume... using a shaky accuracy move as your main STAB attack kinda irks me, hence no Fire Blast, but blah. lol

To be honest, I'm not an Explosion fan and would run Dark Pulse over that but I think that's just me..

Smogon said:
Do not be tempted to use moves like Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon and AncientPower. Their type coverage is poor, and Heatran's Fire Blast will hit for the same or greater damage on nearly everything in OU.

Overheat can be a good option over Lava Plume since you'll most likely be switching a lot.

If you're going for Hidden Power, make it Ice or Electric. Why use HP Dragon when it has Dragon Pulse? If this is for Ubers, Dragon Pulse and HP Electric is a good combo.

Choice Scarf, max Speed and SpA. You can lower the Speed... but unfortunately I don't recall what is required to outspeed +Spe base 130s on a ScarfTran.

Rate this moveset:
Spiritomb @ choice scarf
modest, 252hp/252SpAtk/6Atk
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse
Ominous Wind

Its going to be my annoyer (hopefully.)

Choice Scarf, max Speed and SpA. You can lower the Speed... but unfortunately I don't recall what is required to outspeed +Spe base 130s on a ScarfTran.

Timid with 200 in speed EVs.

freddie: Looks good, but personally I'd put Calm Mind over Ominous Wind since Ghost and Dark have a lot of the same coverage. I'm guessing you're using Ominous Wind over Shadow Ball for the stat increases?

my planned togekiss, what do you think?
oh and i dont know what item yet, maybe life orb

togekiss
252 hp, 252 spD, 6 spA.
modest nature

nasty plot
air slash
aura sphere
4th move im not sure about, i read somwhere that it can learn tri attack? i dunno if this is true though, if not, probably flamethrower.

i've never used a togekiss before, so let me know what you think

I have a Zangoose, and I sweep with it using Swords Dance. I was just wondering if using a Choice Band set would be better, because both safely switching Zangoose in AND SDing can be a problem sometimes since he's so fragile... Especially in the OU environment, which is what I usually end up battling in.

So I guess my question is this: Would Zangoose be more useful with a Choice Band, or should I keep SD?

Well, Smogon always said Garchomp did SD better, but Garchomp's gone to banland haha. I dunno... I like Swords Dance better, but in OU I'd think Choice Band might be the better idea.

right, my new team, i've been trying it out over and over again on shoddy battle, and they've mainly been great, won 16 out of my 20 battles so far :D
however, slight concerned about my special wall, tentacruel, it's been good on some occasions and on others, has dyed after about two hits or defeated in one by earthquake
at the moment it's

252 def, 128 spA, 128 spD
cant remeber the name of the nature, but it's up spA down att
toxic spikes
rapid spin
surf
ice beam

thinking about going with sludge bomb instead of ice beam?
or has anyone got any suggestions/different pokemon to use?

I use Ice Beam for Dragons, but you'll have to test what's better for your team.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom