• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

I have a snorlax with higher sp attack than attack and a good defense. What moves would be good for it or is it fine? (It works for type coverage)It currently has:

Giga Impact (I might replace this, but its the only STAB move and even so it physical)

Focus Blast (Better than focus/drain punch and works better as its special move)

Thunderbolt

Blizzard (no I don't want ice beam, this hits more often than not anyway)

Would Psychic be better than Giga Impact? Have Ghost/Dark type coverage then

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Snorlax's SpAtk is terrible, for its SpAtk to be higher you must have a modest nature and a lot of SpAtk evs :/

Snorlax's SpAtk is terrible, for its SpAtk to be higher you must have a modest nature and a lot of SpAtk evs :/

I'll check and post later, but it is modest and had pokerus and was EV trained. It was my first real EV trained pokemon.

Well you ev'd it poorly :p snorlax's base Attack is 110 and its base SpAtk is 65 :/

need a quick suggestion on a team I'm working on. Im wanting to do a uu team, so here is just my quick idea of what i would put in it.
Granbull, Miltank, Yanmega, Rotom, Muk or Weezing, and Ambipom. thanks for any help.

Is it acceptable to post teams that are only casually competitive (ie for the people I usually battle against, who don't necessarily observe clauses or tiers and such)?

Yes, casual/competitive mix teams are allowed.

(At least I would allow them, considering that most of my teams aren't HARDKORR OU and are more geared towards the people I battle around's playing style...)

Ive been crushed by far to many scizors in ipgl so Im wondering, what is the best counter for one ?

for a scizor you could always go a good fire sweeper, like arcanine with ability intimidate. You could also use a infernape to try and jump in for a kill.

Just wondering if this is a good idea for uber doubles.
Lead with mew & shuckle. Mew transforms into shuckle making it the greatest wall in the game, right ?

If you don't care about having no attack at all and using a slot in your team on the Shuckle, yes. Running 252 HP EVs on Mew plus 252 in both defenses on Shuckle would make your higher defense about 86% of Blissey's MAXIMUM special walling capability while still keeping your lower defense at about 78%. You won't get an all-around wall better than that.

Okay cool :D
and for OU I could always replace mew with ditto.
EDIT: I mean smeargle

If you're going to replace Mew, use Smeargle. It has higher base HP, is faster (more likely to pull it off before getting hit and dying) and has other moves if your strategy should fail. The real issue I see is that Shuckle lacks both a good recovery move and speed. Unless you're running Mew, you'll probably need a focus sash to pull off the transformation. You won't be able to wall very effectively with 1 HP. You could try it, but I bet it won't work well with anyone other than Mew.

I'm on the lookout for a bit of advice, here. I'm replaying my Yellow Version, and just beat Koga and gotten Surf, as well as cleared Team Rocket out of Silph. My team, aside from Surf and Fly, has very few decent moves because of my reluctance to use TMs, but seeing as everyone but one member of my team is at level 40 and they STILL don't know anything good, I think I should start using them up. My team is as follows:

Pikachu lvl 40
-- Thunderbolt
-- Slam
-- Quick Attack
-- Thunder Wave
(Pikachu's already fast enough, so I didn't teach it Agility. Otherwise, nothing special.)

Sandslash lvl 40
-- Swift
-- Swords Dance
-- Slash
-- Poison Sting
(I LOVE Slash. I don't think I've ever seen it NOT get a Critical Hit. Swords Dance only because I needed to make room in my bag for Surf)

Nidorino lvl 40
-- Fury Attack
-- Poison Sting
-- Horn Attack
-- Double Kick
(I'll evolve it into a Nidoking as soon as it learns Horn Drill 6 levels from now)

Charizard lvl 40
-- Slash
-- Fly
-- Ember
-- Leer
(I cannot WAIT until this thing learns Flamethrower...)

Blastoise lvl 40
-- Withdraw
-- Bite
-- Surf
-- Water Gun
(This guy's attack is actually higher than his special, though not by much...)

Venusaur lvl 36
-- Leech Seed
-- Razor Leaf
-- Poison Powder
-- Tackle
(I'm going to take this guy down below Fuchsia on the water route a bit to train it up)

So, Gen 1 TM suggestions for this team?

^Gen I Charizard with Flamethrower, Fly, Slash, and Dig is incredible. Flamethrower and Fly are excellent STABs, Slash is a pretty much guaranteed Critical Hit thanks to Gen I's silly game mechanics, and Dig is as powerful as Earthquake in Gen I. I have always used this set since Yellow first came out, and believe me, it works.

On the afore mentioned Critical Hit:
In Gen I, Critical Hits are based on Speed-- the faster the Pokemon, the higher the chance of a Critical Hit. When coupled with a CH move (such as Slash), the user is virtually guaranteed a Critical Hit as long as he is faster than the opponent. I recently played though Red and kept track of my Charizard's CH ratio with Slash-- I stopped counting after 50 consecutive Critical Hits!

Critical Hit moves are priceless on a Gen I team. Include as many of them as you can! (Razor Leaf, Slash, Crabhammer, and Karate Chop).

Last edited:

Ive been crushed by far to many scizors in ipgl so Im wondering, what is the best counter for one ?

Probably Rotom-H. Can't really think of anything that does it better. It can use Will-o-Wisp to cut its Attack and Overheat to OHKO.

^Gen I Charizard with Flamethrower, Fly, Slash, and Dig is incredible. Flamethrower and Fly are excellent STABs, Slash is a pretty much guaranteed Critical Hit thanks to Gen I's silly game mechanics, and Dig is as powerful as Earthquake in Gen I. I have always used this set since Yellow first came out, and believe me, it works.

Hm...I was going to save Dig for my Sandslash (put it over Poison Sting, and give EQ to my Nidoking), but that looks like a pretty interesting set. I had planned on keeping Slash anyway, and I can't exactly get rid of Fly. Do you think Strength would be usable on Nidoking (once I evolve it), or should I use a 'throwaway' pokemon?

On the afore mentioned Critical Hit:
In Gen I, Critical Hits are based on Speed-- the faster the Pokemon, the higher the chance of a Critical Hit. When coupled with a CH move (such as Slash), the user is virtually guaranteed a Critical Hit as long as he is faster than the opponent. I recently played though Red and kept track of my Charizard's CH ratio with Slash-- I stopped counting after 50 consecutive Critical Hits!

Critical Hit moves are priceless on a Gen I team. Include as many of them as you can! (Razor Leaf, Slash, Crabhammer, and Karate Chop).

I plan on it -- it's why I scrapped Vine Whip on my Venusaur (along with PP) issues. I really need to get rid of Tackle on it, though, and I believe the last two moves it learns are Growth and Solar Beam.

Also -- if I want to catch Articuno, who should I replace with it? I'm about to enter the Seafoam Islands now.

So, I've always been enamored with the idea of a Screech Tyranitar. Does anyone know how useful this set is competitively?

hmmmmm it could work, if you come in on somthing that will switch away from you, then screech the opponant, problem is if they bring in a special sweeper, you've wasted a move

hmmmmm it could work, if you come in on somthing that will switch away from you, then screech the opponant, problem is if they bring in a special sweeper, you've wasted a move

Screech lowers their defence though (I think)
So a sprcial sweeper wouldnt be a bad thing

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom