• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
do you think the grass/flying line will be able to learn Spiky Shield (flying with the use of only one wing)???

Apparently someone found out that by going to the japanese official site you could get the possible typings for the final evolutionary line of the pokemons and here it is:

Rowlet will either stay a GRASS/FLYING or be a GRASS/GROUND
Litten will either be a FIRE/GROUND or stay pure FIRE
Polpplio will go as a WATER/FIGHTING

You see if you go to the japanese stater page of pokemon sun and moon and right click and inspect its script you could find the data for the images use for their typing which follows as grass named as icon1, flying as icon2, fire as icon4 and water as icon5 but if you look for icon3 and icon6 it will show ground and fighting respectively which gives the theory and if you are wondering why rowlet would probably change type it is because of the icon numbers ground is name icon3 not icon4 which makes them question its typing... thats all folks :D

I really hope this will not finally be confirmed. I agree that we have a great opportunity to get unique typings for starters, like Water/Fairy and Fire/Poison. Especially Litten's description mention flammable "oils" in its body. What a great opportunity for poison second typing!!!

Warning; mention of recently possibly leaks from the .co.jp site, as well as a slip in CoroCoro YouTube trailer.

This is just speculation from what we've seen so far, but I hope at least some of this information proves true Q u Q//

The starters are themed either after circus performers or the defining traits of Alola's real-life counterpart (i.e. rare wildlife, volcanic activity, dense marine life). I strongly believe it is the latter though GameFreak's designer admitted the Kalos' starters were based on RPG classes. So maybe this is going to be a trend because the starters from G1-G5 were not relatable nor themed besides typing.

The starters are themed either after circus performers or the defining traits of Alola's real-life counterpart (i.e. rare wildlife, volcanic activity, dense marine life). I strongly believe it is the latter though GameFreak's designer admitted the Kalos' starters were based on RPG classes. So maybe this is going to be a trend because the starters from G1-G5 were not relatable nor themed besides typing.

Mmm, I feel like it's too early right now to know for certain, at least until we see the second and third stages of the starters, but I just figured these were the most likely things they'd be based off of what with their current designs and all.

So maybe this is going to be a trend because the starters from G1-G5 were not relatable nor themed besides typing.

Gen V's Starters were based on nations. Snivy is a French aristocrat, Tepig has a Chinese aesthetic, and Oshawott is a Japanese samurai. This ties into the idea that Unova is based on New York and would be a cultural melting pot. This theme is even echoed in the region's Legendary trios - the Swords are based on the French novel The Three Musketeers, the Tao dragons are based on Chinese philosophy, and then the Kami trio are obviously based on Japanese kami.

Gen IV's seem a bit less interwoven, but there does appear to be some sort of depth. Torterra is based on a world turtle, while Infernape is Sun Wukong from the Chinese story Journey to the West. Empoleon is a bit of an odd one out since it is based on Napoleon Bonaparte who was French, but even that's still significant as a historical icon.

Gen V's Starters were based on nations. Snivy is a French aristocrat, Tepig has a Chinese aesthetic, and Oshawott is a Japanese samurai. This ties into the idea that Unova is based on New York and would be a cultural melting pot. This theme is even echoed in the region's Legendary trios - the Swords are based on the French novel The Three Musketeers, the Tao dragons are based on Chinese philosophy, and then the Kami trio are obviously based on Japanese kami.

Gen IV's seem a bit less interwoven, but there does appear to be some sort of depth. Torterra is based on a world turtle, while Infernape is Sun Wukong from the Chinese story Journey to the West. Empoleon is a bit of an odd one out since it is based on Napoleon Bonaparte who was French, but even that's still significant as a historical icon.
I never thought that and the design choice somewhat makes sense despite there being less European influence. Thanks for the 411!

Moved the discussion about the Starter Pokémon Explinations video here, because one thread about starter discussion/speculation is enough ;)

Warning; mention of recently possibly leaks from the .co.jp site, as well as a slip in CoroCoro YouTube trailer.

This is just speculation from what we've seen so far, but I hope at least some of this information proves true Q u Q//

Contrary to what the video reports, Ground is actually icon #3, which is why people on the forums are speculating a type change for Rowlet from Grass/Flying to Grass/Ground. If it was meant for Litten, it doesn't make sense that Ground is #3 when it should be Fire since its right after Rowlet.

I've seen the stuff posted on Tumblr as well and comes to the conclusion that Litten will become Fire/Ground. The difference is that unlike the video, it actually shows the screen captures and shows Ground to be Icon #3. Now unless Game Freak/TPC just labeled the icons incorrectly, we're likely getting a Grass/Ground Rowlet evolution and a pure-fire Litten.

EDIT:

It doesn't even take that long to verify:

Icon 01 | Icon 02 | Icon 03 | Icon 04 | Icon 05 | Icon 06

Last edited:
Contrary to what the video reports, Ground is actually icon #3, which is why people on the forums are speculating a type change for Rowlet from Grass/Flying to Grass/Ground. If it was meant for Litten, it doesn't make sense that Ground is #3 when it should be Fire since its right after Rowlet.

I've seen the stuff posted on Tumblr as well and comes to the conclusion that Litten will become Fire/Ground. The difference is that unlike the video, it actually shows the screen captures and shows Ground to be Icon #3. Now unless Game Freak/TPC just labeled the icons incorrectly, we're likely getting a Grass/Ground Rowlet evolution and a pure-fire Litten.

EDIT:

It doesn't even take that long to verify:

Icon 01 | Icon 02 | Icon 03 | Icon 04 | Icon 05 | Icon 06
Light blue is water and dark blue is flying? I thought it would be the other way around.

The water starter is based not on a clown but rather a actor of the chinese theater=kung fu fighter?

I want the Owl to stay grass/flying for all its regular evolution stages.
Let it change type in megaevolution like Charizard.(if every one of them gets 2- Venusaur and Blastoise will get them in future)

Wait for more trailers and movesets, now there are only pure speculations and wishes.

These are my predictions/wishes for the final evolutions of the Alola starters:

Rowlet's final form should either stay grass/flying as it is an owl or change into a grass/dark typing, which would make sense with all the dropped information on the pokemon site. Stat-wise I would like to have another fast grass type, but the first one that is fast and physical. I'd say around 110 attack and 120 speed?
Ability-wise I would like it to receive gale wings if it stays flying or maybe some new ability.

With Popplio I really like the idea of it becoming water/fighting. Imo it should be a bit bulkier and focused in SPA, getting moves like aura sphere, vacuum wave and hydro pump. Abilities I could see are of course swift swim, because of the information on the site, but that would be pretty lame. Something new maybe.

Litten is the hardest one. I would love if it became a tanky tiger, but if its fire/ground that would just be Camerupt again and even that doesn't work too well. If it becomes a fire/ground type I want it to be a mixed attacker with fairly decent speed (90-100) and a movepool ranging from stuff like flare blitz and EQ to fire blast and earth power. If it doesn't turn out to be ground but rather something like dark or poison it might become tankier. In general I really like the balance of one physical, one special and one mixed, like in Gen 6. Abilities I could see it having: I could really see dry skin, even though that would somewhat hinder its options in sun teams. Otherwise depending on the design of the final stage maybe even strong jaw for fire/dark.

Cotton Spore is the only speed reduction move that grass type have?
Maybe Leaveage will change that?

If we get a fire/ground type it needs to be faster then Greninja or a little slower/faster then Serperior or get and ability to neutralize or reduce the water damage.(Dry Skin?)

Speed:

0. slow , medium, fast
1. Blastoise(78), Venusaur(80), Charizard(100)
2. Feraligatr(78), Meganium(80), Typhlosion(100)
3. Swampert(70), Blaziken(80), Sceptile(120)
4. Torterra(56), Empoleon(60), Infernape(108)
5.Emboar(65), Samurott(70), Serperior(113)
6. Chesnaught(64), Delphox(104), Greninja(122)
7.???

we got water types: 3 slow 2 medium and 1 fast.
we got grass types: 2 slow, 2 medium and 2 fast
we got firet types: 1 slow, 2 medium, 3 fast

from slowest to fastest:Torterra(56),Empoleaon(60),Chesnaught(64),Emboar(65),Sammurot(70), Swampert(70), Blastoise(78), Ferraligar(78), Blaziken(80), Meganium(80), Venusaur(80),
Charizard(100), Typhlosion(100),(Popplio line here or slower then charizard and faster then venusaur),Delphox(104), (Rowlet line),Infernape(108), Serperior(113),(Litten Line here),Sceptile(120), Greninja(122).

Rowlet is grass/flying ; probably will be the best grass type between grass types, speed could between Delphox and Infernape.(probably with good sp. def and 85 def, good hp and ofensive stats like Greninja)

Previous grass/ flying pokemon have speed:
Tropius 51(total stats 460), Jumpluff 110( total stats 460).
(to fight our past fire starters it would need to be faster then most of them, but slower then Serperior, that only learns Aerial Ace for Counter)

Litten probably will be faster and behind Serperior(ita fire and it will get Flame Charge, probably greater attack then Infernape, hope for lower special attack for it)

If its fire/ground then Cammerupt has speed 40, mega groudon 90, then something about 111 or 116 would come in mind.(neutral to grass, 4 weak to water)

Popplio ,make this line faster then 80 ,90 or 100, "102", water has speed reduction moves (Bubble Beam) but it would be good.(if it doesnt get strong ice moves)
Poliwrath and Samurott have both the speed of 70, we would really need something faster then they. They can also make fun of us and make Poplio faster then Serperior but that would rather not happen or could it?

Last edited:
If Popplio is going down the circus theme and maybe becoming a strongman then it'll probably get some whiskers that are twirled into a moustache. Probably looking like it's wearing one of the classic leotards too.

This is about as believable as all the other nonsense alleged to be genuine leaks, such as what @Rockapheller just posted

zx3dOnS.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom