• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what don't you like about hg/ss?

Are you kidding about the berries? Your mom buys you berries ALL THE TIME. The Pokewalker has berries on it easily.

And who the hell is complaining about not being able to plant berries? That's what the BERRY PLANTER is for.

Underground was fun, but there was no reason for it to be in HGSS. Yes Roark said he would like to expand it, but there's really no need for it considering the fact that if you want an item like that you can easily get it from the other games.

The Gym Leaders in FRLG weren't changed so why would you complain about HGSS teams and not them? They have rematch teams. Not that big of a deal.

Why would Johto have contests? Kanto didn't have contests even after Hoenn.

What business do the Sevii Islands have being here? Seriously, why? The Sevii Islands were there to make the game a little longer. Well now you have two regions to go through. There.

*If they included Gen IV pokemon why didn't any trainers have them

People in Kanto have III and IV Pokemon.

I don't know his entire team, but I'm fairly sure Espeon was removed to avoid making it appear that Espeon is the "canon" Eeveelution.
Lapras is another in-game event pokemon.

Same team as GSC. Take out Espeon, add Lapras.

I don't know his entire team, but I'm fairly sure Espeon was removed to avoid making it appear that Espeon is the "canon" Eeveelution.
And makes it closer to Ash's post-Kanto pre-Johto team.

The Gym Leaders in FRLG weren't changed so why would you complain about HGSS teams and not them? They have rematch teams. Not that big of a deal.

Because they went out of there way to make improvements on the game and completely ignored one of the biggest complaints of GSC, which involved the Johto team, not Kanto.

Johto Pokémon are supposed to be more rare... In the beginning, Kanto Pokémon spanned two regions, it was only shortly before the games' story that the Johto Pokémon were discovered.

Oh I know that. I'm just saying that Lapras makes his team seem a little off. Especially since he already has a Blastoise. It may have been better to replace it with another Pokemon with a different type, like Alakazam or Golem or something. It's still fine though. I understand why they did it. It just seems weird to me.
Also, Lapras doesn't stick out as much now since they're also making it more common then before. Besides Union Cave on Fridays, you can now catch it in the Mountainside area of the Safari Zone too.

Johto Pokémon are supposed to be more rare... In the beginning, Kanto Pokémon spanned two regions, it was only shortly before the games' story that the Johto Pokémon were discovered.
They dropped that a long time ago.

Pretty lame story when people are worshiping Johto Pokemon, and others have literally been living with them for a long time.

Are you kidding about the berries? Your mom buys you berries ALL THE TIME. The Pokewalker has berries on it easily.
I was half-kidding about the berries, but they don't have much use except for battling.

Underground was fun, but there was no reason for it to be in HGSS. Yes Roark said he would like to expand it, but there's really no need for it considering the fact that if you want an item like that you can easily get it from the other games.
I guess that's true, but it was a fun feature that could of easily returned from DPPt. There wasn't much a reason for Pokethlon either except for providing entertainment, but that's the whole purpose of Pokemon and any other video game franchise. To provide entertainment, and to make a pretty penny.

1: the RGBY teams didn't suck and there were only Gen I pokemon back then. 2: Everyone assummed HGSS were fixing all of the flaws of the original games and would bother to change their teams. 3: Lack of Johto Pokemon, I do not need to say more. 4: Yes, you can have rematches, but people want more of a challenge in the beginning as well.

Why would Johto have contests? Kanto didn't have contests even after Hoenn.
FRLG didn't add much and HGSS is adding several features as well as retaining several from DPPt. FRLG also didn't have Pokethlon or any sidequest of the sort. Contests could be added to make use of the berries, and HGSS already had the dress-up thing with the accessories.

What business do the Sevii Islands have being here? Seriously, why? The Sevii Islands were there to make the game a little longer. Well now you have two regions to go through. There.
Not too disappointed about it not being in the games, but HGSS are sequels to FRLG. A little mention or acknowlegement would be nice. Plus, it was probably their last chance to appear in a game, that is if FRLG isn't remade.

EDIT: Again, anyone who's got the wrong impression that I hate the games or anything; I don't. I am just a little miffed and disappointed about some aspects and that GF didn't fixed the major complaints told 10 years ago. It's not like there's much constructive criticism on the game anyways, which most is mainly from Mindless Nostalgia fanboys who thinks their childhood was "ROOENED FOREVARS!!" which isn't contructive or criticism at all. Constructive criticism=/=Flaming

Last edited:
I am just a little miffed and disappointed about some aspects and that GF didn't fixed the major complaints told 10 years ago.
Doesn't the HGSS Safari Zone have many of the Gen.II Pokemon that couldn't be obtained until Kanto in GSC? That was a major complaint about GSC, so GF didn't completely abandon it.

Besides "Fr/Lg didn't add much." is a weak reason for Fr/Lg not to have contests, especially since the Generation it was in introduced the whole concept.

Last edited:
My only complaint is the crappy gym rosters the first time around. Clair, Whitney, and Chuck are the only ones with decent rosters. Seriously, WHY did Morty not get Misdreavus?!

...I don't get it. Why change Clair and Red, but not change the rest...?

Contests? Glad those things are gone. They sucked this generation. The Sevii Islands would have been pointless, and a duplicate Frontier does not bother me at all. And I believe the underground was specifically known as the "Sinnoh Underground." So it would make sense as to why it is not in these games.

...why would Kanto Pokemon in Johto be a problem? There's 150 Kanto Pokemon. There's less than 100 Johto Pokemon to use once you remove legendaries and starters off the list. And I don't want to see the same Pokemon again and again.

GameFreak pretty much fixed all the problems from GSC other than the first time rosters.

As I'm a breeder and semi-competitive player of sorts, I have to say the following:

-There isn't an expansion for the PokéGear that lets you count steps or fast check happiness.
-No Vs. Recorder; the cellphone is just not as convenient to earn EXP. Points or money.
-Frustrating Gym Leader rematches, as well as the Elite Four and Champion's Pokémon having lower levels than Platinum's, even in their second rosters.
-No Poké Radar in the main game.
-Although Rock Smashing, Bill's Grandpa, talking with random trainers, participating in the Bug Catching Contest or Pokéthlon events is fun, I prefer the Underground for getting evolutionary stones and fossils. Too bad it made the cut.
-The Berry Planter is neat, but I wanted more space to grow berries.
-PokéWalker's Pokémon level increase is limited to 1 level per session.
-Move Tutors now requiring Battle Points instead of shards.
-Same Frontier Brains and facilities (well, at least the Battler Tower gets completely "new" music...).
-Pointless features (at least for ME) like Safari Zone customization and Shining Leaves for a Trainer Card star.

About the music, aesthetic features or the story:
-No standard Legendary music (or at least a remix of some previous theme) for Mewtwo, Latios/Latias and the birds.
-Red not having a VS icon (maybe a little different from the others, like Giovanni battle) and/or his own music theme. The return of the Poké Ball made with square tiles was welcomed; I just wanted the final battle to have more 'epicness'.
-When you reach the summit of Mt. Silver there should be an eyecatch showing a shadowy Red or some of his Pokémon.
-Not a single mention of the Sevii Islands or Lorelei and Agatha's whereabouts. I was about to say Leaf, but nevermind...

Last edited:
- Kyogre being in Heartgold instead of in Soulsilver.
- The battle frontier being EXCACT the same (I at least wanted other brains)
- Sabrina's new look
- The game being chock-full of legendaries (I understand why they did that tough)
- Being able to place objects in the safari zone (it's no secret base)
- the underground missing
- Some remixes (like vermillion or goldenrod)
- not being able to plant berries

that's pretty much it (for now)

The nostalgia is gonna make me cry.

Yup and Yupper D:

tl;dr
Dear Mommy, enclosed in this thread is a list things I didn't get as well as anger and rage because I believe it was OWED to me. I want a perfect game and I want it now! This bull called HG/SS is unacceptable!

-Move Tutors now requiring Battle Points instead of shards.

I don't mean to turn into the, "Defend what people have said are bad," guy, but honestly, I prefer this.

In D/P, shards were essentially useless so I sold them all. Come Platinum, they were super useful but I didn't like digging so much [it's not that digging is bad, I just don't have the patience, and 12 red shards, for example, will not simply fall into my lap]

Platinums Battle Frontier was a lot easier to earn BP for me [for some reason, it didn't even have the betting thing that Emeralds frontier had], so I honestly prefer this method.

Different strokes for different folks etc

In D/P, shards were essentially useless so I sold them all. Come Platinum, they were super useful but I didn't like digging so much [it's not that digging is bad, I just don't have the patience, and 12 red shards, for example, will not simply fall into my lap]

Platinums Battle Frontier was a lot easier to earn BP for me [for some reason, it didn't even have the betting thing that Emeralds frontier had], so I honestly prefer this method.

Getting shards in Platinum is actually pretty easy and quick, should you dig for them (maybe I enjoyed the Underground so much, aside from a little luck), talk with the Great Marsh Safari Game Shard guy, Mr. Fuego Star Pieces trade or migrating them from Emerald, in which you can clone them.

Hoenn Battle Frontier is as easy as the Platinum one to get Battle Points in my experience, but the case is that I don't want to be fighting merely as an excuse to teach my Pokémon the moves they need if I already got the Gold Prints, commemorative Ribbons or a high streak, as well as the fact that they raised (yep, I write this AGAIN) the price of the punches by 16 BPs. At least with the Underground you can sell the stuff you don't want or trade them with another player.

Them menu is silent. When you're loading your game you NEED that music there like there was in the original. Now it's only for the pre-journey "this is how you play a Pokémon game, stupid kids who don't know how to read the instruction book".

Back
Top Bottom