• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Country as a Pokemon Region

I live in america, so...

Maybe they could make a region off of New York. There could be this big city called Huin City, and the starters would be a snake, and otter, and a pig. The snake would be grass, the otter water, and the pig fire type. We could call it... Isshu!

Sounds interesting.

i think in Australia, the gyms would be:
-Sydney (water)
-Alice Springs (ground)
-Hobart (ice)
-Brisbane (fire)
-Cairns (bug)
-Melbourne (flying)
-Canberra (steel)
-Lismore (ghost- if you've been there you will understand why)

-darwin (pokemon league)
-grass
-psychic
-dark
-rock
-dragon (champion)

once you defeat the league the battle frontier is over in perth

There would be one big dangerous city, a small mountain range, coastline and beach, and then some forest. Yay, Maryland XD

As a resident of Maryland, I lol'd pretty hard at "one big dangerous city" because I know what you're talking about.

We could have cities based on Towson, Columbia and White Marsh as well.

I'd like to see a Kangaroo Pokemon even though it would probably be a rip off Kangaskhan, so a Koala Pokemon would be cool.

Isn't Breloom closely based off the kangaroo?

Anyways, I'm from Texas, so, hmm, maybe a lot of open, dry grasslands in the central and northern areas. Instead of the common linear forest surrounded routes, for the Piney woods and most of Louisiana, there could be some thin forests. For the southern parts and the coast there could be some wetter areas with large cities and swamps, of course with many wild Corpish and some Tododiles after you get the National Dex (maybe the sea could be black and filled with dead floating Wailords). Up north around Oklahoma and Arkansas, some dry forests and maybe a group of lakes to represent the Ozarks. And in the West, a vast rocky desert with large mountains, confusing legends, and at the very northwestern edge of the map, a large desert city where there are a half-dozen Game Corners and where many Deoxys have allegedly been seen.

That's the southwest for you.

Meh, no, I'm not a redneck, a racist, a Tea Party member, a hardcore Republican (I'm moderate, fools), or a cowboy, and I DO NOT like grits (but I love Tabasco). I recently moved up to the north and I hate all the stereotypes they give us here.

Last edited:
United Kingdom.

The starter Pokémon would probably be a mouse, a pigeon and a bug of some kind.

There wouldn't be much water routes, but water Pokémon would be found a lot in rainy puddles. Around the centre of the region, you'd find a lot of poison-types and dark-types. Ice-types will be to the north.

Instead of Safari Zones, we'd have areas where Water-types are found exclusively (we love Aquariums =3).

Brazil,huh? I have discussed something similar in another thread.
The starters: Grass is a typical exotic Bird, or a jaguar. An fire/poison snake. Or a fire goat. And fior water: waterfowl, or a capybara, or a scorpio. The typical Bird would be toucan or a blue macaw. A lot of bugs. The Champion will be a: soccer player or a sertanejo singer or a rapper bombshell or a exotic dancer. Lol I forgot to say that this region would be the paradise of the villains. They fled here after fugitives, then an old villain as Giovanni or Archie/Max could be the champions of the elite four.

The cities/towns would be
Brasilia: The biggest city. The capital with futuristic buildings and post modern architecture. Oddly, the city is in isolated in the middle of hilghlands. The gym leader would be steel or electric.

Rio de Janeiro: The second biggest city. I’ts also a beach, and Cristo Redentor is replaced by an legendary pokemon statue. You can go to the statue, in the Sugarloaf mountain by cable car, the same way we go to that vulcan in Hoenn. Gym type is random.

Besides not really being a city, could be a town based on the favelas of Rio de Janeiro.. If not, Salvador is a good replacement. It looks also like a big favela. Lol The gym would be fighting, due to capoeira typical fight.

Manaus: A town in the heart of the rain forest. Grass, bug or poison gym.

Fernando de Noronha: A small paradisiac Island. Probably the gym is water.

A town based on Pantanal: A rustic town sorrounded by a gigantic swamp, and the swamp is full of carvanhas. Around would be Seviper, Arbok, jaguars, new alligators species and a lot mosquitos.The gym would be poison or ground.

Amazonia forest: A really big rain forest, that surround all the region. But in this place can expand things about Mew past. It’s said that Mew was found in Guyana forest. And Guyana forest is countinuation of Amazonia. Is the same rain forest, but in another country. Guyana is bordered by Manaus, the north Brazil.

Other locations that would probably be there: Iguaçu falls, Lençois maranhenses, Mount Roraima. The home town could be a village in the middle of forest next to Manaus or a beach bungalow village between Rio de Janeiro and Salvador.

The Brazil region-it's hot at the center and the north of the country, with a big florest with a large variety of pokémon at the north and a dry, very hot climate in the northwest. In the southwest, it is wet and there are many mountains. In the south, there is a temperate climate with occasional snow or frost in the winter. Places where there would most likely be gyms would be Brazília, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Manaus or Belém(two cities in the middle of the florest at the north which could represent the grass-type), Salvador(representing the Northwest),Porto Alegre(representing the south)and...well,i can't think about anything else.

Nice to see another Brasilian here. Although there’s snow here in Porto Alegre, I would like to be a completely tropical region. So I would exclude the southern area in the game. If they include Porto Alegre or Southern towns, it would be a snowy city in the mountains.The gym leader and the population will be a lot of hipsters and blase people that think they dont belongs to Brasil. Lol Probably the villain team would be there, a bunch of hipsters who wants do dominate the region.

Nebraska.

Fire: corn
water: corn
grass: corn

Laughing hard.

Last edited:
Let's do good ol' Jersey. The region, obviously, would be heavily urbanized (though less so in the southern part). There'd be quite a bit of water thanks to the Jersey Shore, and Philly could be an end-game area reminiscent of the Battle Frontier. You'd start in a town based on Ridgewood, and the Gyms would be:

-Hackensack (Normal)
-Jersey City/Hoboken (Electric)
-Newark/Elizabeth (Poison)
-New Brunswick (Psychic)
-Asbury Park (Water)
-Atlantic City (Fighting)
-Princeton (Dragon)
-Camden (Dark)

Other non-Gym cities could be Trenton (naturally, the "capital" of the region), Vernon (just so there can be an Action Park parody), and East Rutherford (mainly for a PWT-like tournament in MetLife Stadium and a mall based on the one that's SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING BUILT THERE-​). And of course, the region's main legendary would be based off none other than the Jersey Devil.

Pennsylvania would have a lot of cites, forests, and farmlands. The underground would return considering the effect coal mining had on the land. The water routes are Lake Erie, the Delaware River, and the Susquehanna River. The Pocono Mountains (whose economy is linked to ski resorts) would be an area with Ice types. The starters are a groundhog, a trout, and something coal-based. The cities, in order:

Girardville, a small town, possible starting place. Was a major place for coal mining, the Molly Maguires were from there. Rock type.
Shenendoah, town known for racial violence, Fighting type gym.
Centralia, a mostly abandoned town. Dark Type gym.
Scranton, which is known as the electric city. Electric gym obviously.
Lancaster, a farming city known for the Amish. Grass.
Harrisburg, the capital. Nothing really stands out about it, so Normal.
Erie, lakeside city, so Water.
Pittsburgh, industrial city, Poison considering how polluted it is.

The E4 and champion (who is based on Ben Franklin) are at Philly. Wilkes-Barre is a post-game area, and Williamsport is the Battle Frontier. The main legendary is based on the Philly Phanatic.

Last edited:
Mexico will have pokemons like Ludicolo, Cactune, Hawlucha, Xatu and Barcoach.

Will be a a lot of ghost type pokemon and a ghost gym based on Dia de Los Muertos. If Mexico was a region, would be cowboys, native indians and aztec culture
The locations would include ancient archelogical sites, Cancun, Mexico city, Oaxaca, old west towns (there always one in Hollywood movies), a canyon, Chihuahua desert, a jungle, lakes. Juarez would be the villain team base. For the starters an ox, a coyote and an iguana. The regional bird is a rooster and the regional rodent is a coati or armadillo.

I'm not sure how well Florida would translate into a Pokemon region. The whole state is almost completely flat (I only say "almost" because when you get up into the Panhandle you start to get hills. Wow, right? Hills! I don't have hills where I live), a good part of it is actually water, we don't really have what you would call "rocks", and although I can tell the differences between the different biomes that exist here, I doubt they're as obvious to an outsider. I guess basically, Florida has swamps, beaches, plains, scrubs, and things we call "hammocks", which are the closest thing we have to forests. A couple of places in Hoenn come to mind, and maybe Kanto and Johto, too.

Starters are a bit easier to see. The Water-type would probably be some kind of alligator Pokemon, but we've already had that in the form of Totodile, which I've loved since I was very little. Other than an alligator, the first thing that comes to mind is a dolphin Pokemon... which still does not exist! There you go! Make it happen, Game Freak!
The Grass-type... there are a million possibilities. The first idea that pops into my head is a lizard, because here we have these things called anoles (which are in the iguana family), and I don't think I've spent a day in this state without seeing at least one. Seriously, they're everywhere, as ubiquitous as squirrels or ants. Most of them are Cuban anoles (which are brown) an invasive species that's almost killed off the green anole, which is a lot prettier (because it's green) and is actually native to Florida. But a green lizard has already been done in Treecko, and I'm note sure if I'd suggest some kind of a plant because my Fire-type idea is coming up.
The Fire type is about as alien to Florida as you can get. Everything in Florida is wet. However, there is one way that fire plays a role in Florida's ecosystem and it's the only idea I have for a Fire-type to exist in this state. A few of Florida's ecosystems actually rely on brush fires to do several things: it gets rid of old vegetation and gives younger plants room to breathe (think of it as Nature's way of "mowing the lawn"); it decomposes dead things faster than usual, which is important in a swamp that relies on a huge amount of dead stuff in order to survive; and it actually stimulates some kinds of pine cones to germinate. Now, a pine tree Pokemon would probably be pretty boring, but we also have this stuff called saw palmetto, which is like the top of a palm tree planted on the ground (and yes, it is painful to walk through). I don't know how much saw palmetto relies on fire, but it's a lot more interesting than a pine tree. Imagine something like Tangela, but with palm fronds instead of vines, all burned and crispy and leaving a trail of soot wherever it goes.

I put a lot more thought into this than I should have.

I'm from New York, and techincally, we already got that in the Pokemon World! Unova is based on New York, more specifically Manhattan and its surrounding areas. We dont' have a region though based off of the mainland of the state! I can definitely say the town I go to college in would probably have an Ice type gym. Winters there are dreadful, so I can see it having an Ice type gym.

The American Southwest. We'd have lots of Rock and Ground types with the Champion specializing in it. The legendaries would consist of an monstrous armadillo and a gila monster. The third legendary would be a rattlesnake. Also, because of dragons being so well loved, they'd be part Dragon type. A Dragon-type Armadillo creature. Hey, they can make it happen! There'd be an ocean to make use of surf, which would be slightly based off the California coast. There'd be an Ice-type gym somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.

Wait, wasn't Orre based off this area? At least the Phoenix, Arizona area? What a shame that such a depressing region was based off this area. =(

New England.. I'm writing a fic on TCOD with a New England based region called Pokemon Crimson (have been busy brainstorming for over a month. Since this part of my country is a bit lacking in cool animals, I had to improvise A LOT, and will have about 50% Pokemon I made up, and the others will be pre-existing Pokemon.

The Grass Starter is based on a moose, which I've only seen one of in my entire life, in the central part of my state, where they are still pretty rare.
The Fire Starter is a cheetah, because why not?
The Water Starter is the popular platypus.

Trainers will also get a choice from a second set of Starters, those that debuted in Johto, and will be able Mega Evolve after a certain point.

Fossils will be a Rock/Electric Glyptodon and a Rock/Fairy Elasmotherium.

Other Pokemon will include a Dark-type Coati, and Poison/Normal Possum, an Ice-type Llama, a Fairy/Fighting Koala, and a trio of legendary Pokemon based on forms of the Egyptian god Ra. (Because Ra is awesome!).

Gyms will be Fighting, Water, Ghost, Fire, Psychic, Dragon, Steel, and Dark, in that order. Elite Four members will be Grass, Fairy, Electric, and Rock. The Champion will use a Mega Mienshao (and will be based on myself).

The villains will be based on Russian Bolsheviks, because I couldn't think of anything more badass that hasn't been done.

Well I'm from Cyprus and I spent most of my teenage years there (I live in the UK now), I would say Cyprus is very much and has always reminded me of Hoenn. It's in the middle of the Mediterranean sea (so, like Hoenn, lots of surrounding water lol), also some reptiles, bugs, and water mammals we have are representative of those found in Hoenn. Mt. Chimney is in the exact same spot as Mt. Troodos, however, we get snow in the winter up there because it's very high, whereas Chimney is a volcano (BUT, it is my belief that Cyprus was once a giant volcano, that erupted millions of years ago after rising up from the sea. I say this because we've been on various walks to a place in Troodos called Kaledonia Waterfalls, and up there, you can find old fossils and sea shells which otherwise could have never got there). It's pretty awesome to think about.

The evil team could be a bunch of blithering racist idiots, I don't really know.

I would probably just make England into a region though (Like how Kalos is basically just two-thirds of France), having the whole of the UK would greatly underestimate a lot of things found here.

South-Central US.

It would honestly be pretty boring, environment wise... Because lets be honest here, it's boring in real life. There are a couple of interesting areas in my state, though - the western area. It's deserty with lots of plateaus. It also has an area that is all salt.

Pokemon? There would be Tauros and Bouffalant. Rock/ground Pokemon, flying Pokemon, and Bug Pokemon.

Texas... hm, there's a lot to work with. Since the place is so big, there's quite a bit of diversity in the ecosystem. The "big regional town" could be a place based around Houston, a massive urban sprawl located some ways from the ocean, and the areas around could mostly be populated by Grass and Water types that'd appear in marshes. Up north and east, there's the piney woods and the swamps... not bad for a lot of Ghost types. A good part of the region would be mesquite lands around the central areas. Roads between towns are rough, long, and not the easiest to travel on, but some areas allow you to ride a Ponyta or Rapidash through. The Pokemon League would be located more towards the west, around where there're more canyons and mountains.

The people in the region are known for their pride in their bonds with their Pokemon and their prowess in battles. Tauros and Miltank ranches and drilling (whether it's for oil or some other resource) are major industries throughout the region. Regional bird is based off of the mockingbird.

Last edited:
Well England is actually split into 9 regions, 1 of each could contain a gym city, and then go to london as the elite 4 area.

Our answer to Swirlix and Aromatisse would probably be a giant cup of tea Pokemon (water/fire, grass/water not sure.

Our champion would probably be based off Simon Cowell just like Diantha was based off someone from a french movie apparently.
The vilainous team could be led by the Poke equivalent of Anjem Choudary or George Galloway. He hates the people that follow the Arceus based religion and wants to use the legendary to impose the Poke version of Shariah law.

I'll do Connecticut, since Unova is ultimately based on New York City, where I live. The gyms would be from the cities and some of the counties.

New Haven (Normal)
New London (Flying)
Hartford (Electric)
Stamford (Fighting)
Kent (Grass)
Waterbury (Water)
Bridgeport (Dragon)
Mystic (Ice)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom