• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Venusaur vs Torterra

I love Torterra because I love turtles, and Turtwig is my favourite Sinnoh starter...

... but at the same time I love Venusaur, for its nostalgic value, and because Bulbasaur is absolutely adorable.

So, in my opinion, I have no favourite between them.​

Venusaur VS Torterra

-Overall usefulness
Just because he has a x4 weakness to ice doesn't make him any less useful than Venausaur.

It's pretty much fact that Venusaur is more versitile than Torterra. In fact, I think Venusaur's the most versitile of all the starters (except maybe Swampert, who ties with it at best)

-A battle between the two
I admit, maybe Venusaur. But if someone trained Torterra properly, he's a destructive wall of doom. And how often do people carry ice moves with them anyway?

Always

And how often do people carry ice moves with them anyway?

I agree, I always do, and I dont battle competativly, everyone knows dragon pokemon are evil, and everyone knows ice attacks rip dragons to shreds

Well Venusaur I think. (Although i like them both)

Becaause his main type Grass had advantage over Torrtera's secondary type, and his secondary type has advantge ove Torrterra's primary. while torttera's secondary type only has advantage against Venusaur's secondary.

Not that types mean much in this case, but it makes sense

Venusaur

Also, why the hate for grass types? They're just as usuable as anything else.

I agree, I always do, and I dont battle competativly, everyone knows dragon pokemon are evil, and everyone knows ice attacks rip dragons to shreds

Ditto i have lats of Ice type moves on my team

Snorlax, Weavile, and Medicham all know ice punch

Lanturn knows Ice Beam.

I love torterra i always pick them in D/P/PL just wish they could learn seed boom by Laval up.

If you anything about UU, you would know that grass types are the most dominant. Venasaur would likely win 1 vs. 1 due to sleep powder. As far as individual usefulness in battle, Venasaur wins. SD sets are really deadly and he can make good use of Sleep Powder. There's a reason he's the most used mon in UU.

Haha, the tallest midget! Well I say good for him! I bet that makes him feel super special about himself.

Still a grass type.

Torterra is cool (one of the few Gen IV Pokemon I like) but I'm still gonna have to go with Venusaur. ;3

Venasaur wins looks and pure awesomeness, since it was the first grass starter evolution. Torterra would probably win in a battle though, since it is also part ground and would just keep spamming earthquake until Venasaur faints.

Last edited:
Venusaur. :3
*points at avatar and signature*
^.^;
I think he looks neat and hes pretty powerful...When i use him anyways. x.x

The poll doesn't reflect who's better, it reflects who's the favorite. Just so everyone knows, there's a distinct difference in the level of usefulness between the two.

except that's also an opinion. we all know there are plenty of variables that influence the outcome of a battle, in-game or against other players. you can say and think that one is better all you want, but it doesn't make it a fact. Pokemon is just way too open ended to be able to predict everything all the time, or even most of the time. I don't know much about competitive battling because I kinda sorta think it's incredibly lame, but I'm still pretty sure you're not as right as you think you are.

for me? I like Venusaur better, Torterra's got a tree and not a pretty flower.

I'd say Torterra :D In the Anime :3

As far as usefulness is Venusaur is far superior to Torterra. (though I prefer Torterra appeal-wise, it's just inferior) Torterra is limited to being a physical tank with a debilitating 4x ice weakness whereas Venusaur is a much more effective special/mixed tank with no outstanding negative points, although it has no outstanding postiive points either. Venusaur is pretty sturdy and will usually do what you want it to.

Further, in a battle, Venusaur would easily best Torterra, not to mention that standard Venusaur carries Sleep Powder as well.

And for the sake of argument, damage calculations for the standard sets:
Torterra
212 HP/ 252 Def/ 44 Spe

Venusaur
252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Spe

Torterra's EQ vs. Venusaur
Damage Per Hit: 110 - 132 / 30.2% - 36.3% (Number of Hits: 1)
Critical Hit Chance: 6.3%
Base Attack Power: 100

Venusaur's Grass Knot vs. Torterra
Damage Per Hit: 222 - 262 / 57.8% - 68.2% (Number of Hits: 1)
Critical Hit Chance: 6.3%
Base Attack Power: 180

The result is VERY clear. Venusaur two-hits Torterra without a second glance.
Wow, your good. Way to kick the fun out of it lol^^

Last edited:
except that's also an opinion. we all know there are plenty of variables that influence the outcome of a battle, in-game or against other players. you can say and think that one is better all you want, but it doesn't make it a fact. Pokemon is just way too open ended to be able to predict everything all the time, or even most of the time. I don't know much about competitive battling because I kinda sorta think it's incredibly lame, but I'm still pretty sure you're not as right as you think you are.

for me? I like Venusaur better, Torterra's got a tree and not a pretty flower.

Haseo speaks the truth. It depends how they are supported. Even Bibarel can sweep teams if it is supported properly.

Last edited:
I love Torterra because I love turtles, and Turtwig is my favourite Sinnoh starter...

... but at the same time I love Venusaur, for its nostalgic value, and because Bulbasaur is absolutely adorable.

So, in my opinion, I have no favourite between them.​

win

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom