• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On one hand, they say there are other Cores, not only one. But on the other hand, descriptions of other forms imply that Zygarde's mind is the same one Core all the time. So what about those other Cores?

Maybe EACH FORME has its core: from doggarde to Perfect Garde.

Do you guys think we might be having a special game for the POKEMON ANNIVERSARY? I mean, having some non- standard things in it? Like the Zygarde 5 forms to be a special new thing for the Anniversary?

In short, could we be getting the NEW POKEMON YELLOW? An anime- based game? With Ashninja as your choice, like Pikachu in Yellow? Or maybe Zygarde Core? I doubt it but hey, you never know with Pokemon AND Game Freak...

I don't think so. Judging by the fact that we got new forms of Zygarde and Zygarde appearing in movie as well as the mega evolution special 4, it is unlikely that we are getting a new pokemon yellow especially since we already got remakes for gen 6. May be next gen but for now I expect Pokemon Z. The anime series called Pokemon XY & Z seems to suggest a Pokemon Z.

They possess no will or thought processes - I think we can confirm this thing can't be used in battle.

Zygarde Core: At this stage, this aspect of Zygarde is little more than a part of the Pokémon's brain. Unlike the Cells, the Cores are self-aware and can communicate with Cells and other Cores via telepathy. When a change occurs in the local region's ecosystem, Cores have been known to take action.
I guess Core might be possible to use in a battle, however, it is only described as the brain.

Although it does they have been known to take action.

SO, Zygarde 10%, 50% and 100% as well as Core - usable in battle?

With this info I'd say that rn it is most likely that:
-Cell: can't be used in battle, although still a tiny chance they somehow make it work?
-Core: maybe can't be used in battle but got a higher chance to work somehow
-All the rest: definitely can be used in battle

The situation between Ash and Greninja beg the question, if this is between bond, what happen to Pikachu? The bond between Ash and Pikachu is undoubtedly a lot stronger than the one between Ash and Greninja. They came through for each other, he brought Pikachu every time they travel to a new region, etc.

Well, maybe Pikachu is just unable to go through such a form change, while Greninja can. Just like Pikachu can't mega evolve or do certain things that other Pokémon are capable of doing.
I think Pikachu's look is very iconic so they'd probably rather mostly keep it in its usual form.

Do you guys think we might be having a special game for the POKEMON ANNIVERSARY? I mean, having some non- standard things in it? Like the Zygarde 5 forms to be a special new thing for the Anniversary?

In short, could we be getting the NEW POKEMON YELLOW? An anime- based game? With Ashninja as your choice, like Pikachu in Yellow? Or maybe Zygarde Core? I doubt it but hey, you never know with Pokemon AND Game Freak...

I don't think so. Judging by the fact that we got new forms of Zygarde and Zygarde appearing in movie as well as the mega evolution special 4, it is unlikely that we are getting a new pokemon yellow especially since we already got remakes for gen 6. May be next gen but for now I expect Pokemon Z. The anime series called Pokemon XY & Z seems to suggest a Pokemon Z.

No, I mean Pokemon Yellow - like. Not a remake of Yellow...

Okay, my theory is coming to fruition. Multiple cires confirmed, and seeing how we have red, I aesume there is an orange, white, cyan, and blue, 5 in total for the chest hexagons on Zygarde Complete. Further more, with the change in the ecosystem text, and how cells are scattered in the region, I wonder if the story will be a drastic change. Evil team involved from teh gakes start,and your main quest isn't to collect bades, but cells. Please god let that be the case.
i don't think GameFreak is going to ditch the eight-badge quest any time soon.

I don't think the Core is usable in battle. It comes off as being a component for the other forms.

I think it'd be neat if they shook up how mascot legendaries work in this game with Zygarde's new forms. Since Zygarde has weaker forms, you could obtain it earlier in the game and upgrade its form throughout the story. Say, maybe you meet 10% around the 3rd gym or so and it joins your team. Then when you reach Rt. 18 the first time, you go into Terminus Cave where 50% was found in XY and you find more Cells that upgrade it to 50% form. Then when you're fighting Team Flare, Zygarde reaches 100% form just in time for the final showdown. Of course that might be awkward for them to implement (because then they have to account for the player's choice not to use it as well as varying levels throughout the game) but it'd be really awesome if they could make it work somehow, I've always wanted to see a game where you meet the mascot legendary earlier in the game at a weaker form and bond with it throughout the game until it reaches full power in the end.
i can already hear the sweet cries of people bemoaning yet another legendary given to the player for free, and a box legendary too!

that would actually be really interesting though. i think it would ultimately depend on the BST of the forms and how it's spread. i mean, i highly doubt that Dogarde has much less than 500 BST, and if it did it would still be heavily offensively invested (ie., like 120 attack, 120 speed, low amounts everywhere else) and similarly with Perfect Zygarde having much more than 780 (which also leads me to believe that inverse battle theory that was mentioned a while back). not to mention Dragon/Ground would be a fairly potent typing in-game.

On one hand, they say there are other Cores, not only one. But on the other hand, descriptions of other forms imply that Zygarde's mind is the same one Core all the time. So what about those other Cores?

It seems to be the same Core all the time, it's said to keep gathering more and more Cells to change form. So how can each form have its own Core?

Thinking about it... I am sorta on the boat that this Ash Greninja may not be a Mega now.
Many Megas have an air of power to it that I can't see with this guy, but it's also that they're not outright saying that this is Mega Greninja. Why not be out with it? Greninja is one of the most popular Kalos Pokemon, a Mega would already be a welcomed addition. I'm pretty sure that they haven't done a "What could this form be?!" for Megas since X and Y; they didn't do it for ORAS that I can remember. So why not go "Mega Greninja!!" unless this may not be Mega Greninja?
And usually, Megas build up on the Pokemon's design and the inspirations behind them and/or what they would be like if they had received an influx of power. Ash Greninja is Greninja with a resemblance to Ash, plus a "Once every thousand years, this happens!" lore. There's also the fact that one day, Ash will no longer have that outfit, so why base a Mega for a popular favorite on Ash's temporary outfit?

On the other hand what else could it be? Why give Greninja or any starter a form? Will Delphox and Chesnaught get Serena and Clemont based forms/Megas?

And would this be anime only? I wouldn't think so, since this anime is advertising for the games on a slightly higher level now, and although they have shown us unobtainable and impossible variations of Pokemon, only May's Bulbasaur with it's heart shape markings has been part of the main crew, and she has since then evolved into a normal looking Venasaur with May no longer in the picture.

Now a part of me doesn't want it to be a Mega; it seems like a slight waste to base Greninja's Mega on Ash, when both Ash's outfit and Greninjas spot on his team is temporary. We could be getting two Megas for it, but it may not happen.
I'm already impatient for the next Corocoro.

I think along with cells there will be 5 cores to assemble. That, or there are 5 zygardes running about, and perfect is all 5 combined.
i don't think GameFreak is going to ditch the eight-badge quest any time soon.

I don't think the Core is usable in battle. It comes off as being a component for the other forms.

I think it'd be neat if they shook up how mascot legendaries work in this game with Zygarde's new forms. Since Zygarde has weaker forms, you could obtain it earlier in the game and upgrade its form throughout the story. Say, maybe you meet 10% around the 3rd gym or so and it joins your team. Then when you reach Rt. 18 the first time, you go into Terminus Cave where 50% was found in XY and you find more Cells that upgrade it to 50% form. Then when you're fighting Team Flare, Zygarde reaches 100% form just in time for the final showdown. Of course that might be awkward for them to implement (because then they have to account for the player's choice not to use it as well as varying levels throughout the game) but it'd be really awesome if they could make it work somehow, I've always wanted to see a game where you meet the mascot legendary earlier in the game at a weaker form and bond with it throughout the game until it reaches full power in the end.
i can already hear the sweet cries of people bemoaning yet another legendary given to the player for free, and a box legendary too!

that would actually be really interesting though. i think it would ultimately depend on the BST of the forms and how it's spread. i mean, i highly doubt that Dogarde has much less than 500 BST, and if it did it would still be heavily offensively invested (ie., like 120 attack, 120 speed, low amounts everywhere else) and similarly with Perfect Zygarde having much more than 780 (which also leads me to believe that inverse battle theory that was mentioned a while back). not to mention Dragon/Ground would be a fairly potent typing in-game.
I amnot suggesting there isno badge quest, just that its secondary and we willcollect them as a need to obtain HMs to travel the region to access more cells. In other words, the cells will be the incentive to collect badges, not the pokedex or the league.

Holy crap.

The whole Ash Greninja has blown my whole anime-exclusive theory out of the window. If this is going to be an important gameplay mechanic then there's no way it's Greninja only. The other Kalos starters will get some kind of form differentiation as well.

"This phenomenon is also said to have happened just once several hundred years ago in the Kalos region, but it remains shrouded in mystery" sounds like there is a big story behind it. I wonder if we'll get some personalized (like Ash's, but catered to the player character) form change for the Kalos starters over a standard mega evolution. I can't help but be a bit hyped for this.

Edit: re-reading the main site's description, it really does sound like some enhanced form of mega evolution. "Ash-Greninja is the form that Greninja takes when the bond between it and Ash is raised to the limit" sounds very much like ME, but without the 'raised to the limit' bit.

Last edited:
Talking about Ashninja, I just saw something, AZ Floette, anything in common?

That's Right, they have the color base of red and black compared to their other forms and "The strength of their bond changes Greninja's appearance, and it takes on the characteristic look of Ash's attire. This phenomenon is also said to have happened just once several hundred years ago in the Kalos region, but it remains shrouded in mystery."

I think this case has been solved, if you see were I'm going with this

That's Right, they have the color base of red and black compared to their other forms and "The strength of their bond changes Greninja's appearance, and it takes on the characteristic look of Ash's attire. This phenomenon is also said to have happened just once several hundred years ago in the Kalos region, but it remains shrouded in mystery."

I don't really see a connection because AZ's Floette is a completely different thing:
1. AZ's Floette is a permament form, while Ash-Greninja sounds like a temporary form it takes during critical moments when its bond with Ash is at peak levels, making Ash-Greninja more like mega evolution (not to mention the "bond" between AZ and Floette was rather tainted to associate Floette's changes with a deep bond...)
2. AZ's Floette was affected by the ultimate weapon which made it different and eternal (plus the "different" part is mostly based on its flower which is unique from the rest probably only cause it is a flower from 3000 years ago, not to mention it doesn't take after AZ's looks at all, unlike Ash-Greninja which clearly inherits Ash's clothes/body/hair colors/shapes)

I see a lot of people trying to link Ash-Greninja to AZ's Floette and honestly I can't see it at all, they're two completely different cases.

2. AZ's Floette was affected by the ultimate weapon which made it different and eternal (plus the "different" part is mostly based on its flower which is unique from the rest probably only cause it is a flower from 3000 years ago, not to mention it doesn't take after AZ's looks at all, unlike Ash-Greninja which clearly inherits Ash's clothes/body/hair colors/shapes)

I see a lot of people trying to link Ash-Greninja to AZ's Floette and honestly I can't see it at all, they're two completely different cases.

There's a picture that showed that AZ's Floette had the same appearance and flower before the war, so it wasn't affected by the Ultimate Weapon, the Ultimate Weapon just made it eternal.

Yeah, I agree with you, the text on the site is pretty much saying it's a Mega Evolution, but just another type of Mega Evolution.

What is odd though is that it's called "form"... Were any of the Mega Evolutions called that? How about Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre?

What is odd though is that it's called "form"... Were any of the Mega Evolutions called that? How about Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre?
I think all of the mega evolution's were called that

Edit: I did find this:
"If you raise your starter Pokémon with care and develop a deep bond with it, it will respond by pulling off a fantastic Mega Evolution in the right circumstances. You’ll be able to count on your Mega-Evolved partner more than ever!"

Anyone considering that Game Freak is planning to retcon more about Mega Evolution and decide a human-Pokemon bond isn't essential (hence their keeping Greninja's status a mystery)?

I mean, its not like Mega Evolution in-game ever needed you to actually maximize your bond with your Pokemon and Game Freak's literally all over the place with Mega Evolution that I wouldn't even be surprised if they outright said "Yeah, Rayquaza didn't actually care about the Draconids, it was just attracted to the meteoroid and the Draconids interpreted it as Rayquaza trying to save them"

Why is everyone trying to connect Ashninja with AZette? AZ's Floette had the Eternal Flower before and after its death, not to mention it's a permanent Forme. And that happened 3,000 years ago.

Ashninja seems to be a temporary state, and the previous happening of this is specifically stated to be "several hundred years ago". Several usually means anywhere from 6-9, since several and seven stem from the same root word. 3000 years is not the same as less than 1000.

And the key factor... AZette's flower looks nothing like AZ. We've seen him in his hobo clothing and very briefly in his king clothing (in the war flashbacks, and his portraits in Lumiose and Parfum) and red and black are not part of his color scheme. At all.

Why is everyone trying to connect Ashninja with AZette? AZ's Floette had the Eternal Flower before and after its death, not to mention it's a permanent Forme. And that happened 3,000 years ago.

Ashninja seems to be a temporary state, and the previous happening of this is specifically stated to be "several hundred years ago". Several usually means anywhere from 6-9, since several and seven stem from the same root word. 3000 years is not the same as less than 1000.

And the key factor... AZette's flower looks nothing like AZ. We've seen him in his hobo clothing and very briefly in his king clothing (in the war flashbacks, and his portraits in Lumiose and Parfum) and red and black are not part of his color scheme. At all.

Could the Ash skin of Greninja just be another connection of Mega Evolution. Everything from the release today leads to Mega Evolution.

Serebii said:
It also describes Ash-Greninja as the form that Greninja takes when the bond between it and Ash is raised to the limit. The strength of their bond changes Greninja's appearance,

That is word for word exactly what Mega Evolution does. The only thing that throws us away from the Mega Evolution trail is the second half of the second sentence.

Serebii said:
and it takes on the characteristic look of Ash's attire.

This has never happened with any known Mega Evolutions. Could it just be coincidence that Mega Greninja looks like Ash or is this something completely new, yet related to Mega Evolution, much like Primal Reversion was?

Why is everyone trying to connect Ashninja with AZette?

I'm guessing its because AZ's Floette is the only other canon Pokemon (evidently still blocking out NEP) with an individual variation in the games. Even if you can argue artistic laziness for AZ's Floette having the eternal flower before and after its death, its equally possible that the "Eternal Flower" itself is now an extinct species of flower in Kalos. We see at least one instance of the flower existing under the tree AZ left in Hoenn, and given that he designed the Ultimate Weapon, it wouldn't be surprising that he'd design it after his Floette.

@BlackButterfree:

People are looking for explanations. given that the only non-anime occurrences of non-shiny Pokemon that are noticeably different from others are Spiky-eared Pichu, Cosplay Pikachu, and AZ Floette, people are going with what is at least explicable. that ambiguous "flowers" note also makes some people gravitate towards the Eternal Flower Floette. nothing indicates that Ashninja is temporary, though, nothing indicates that it's not temporary either, so i think it's risky to assume either way. several refers to any amount greater than two, but, as the OED puts it, "not many."* that does contradict AZ and his Floette, but then again, Pokemon contradicts itself so much that i would take it with a grain of salt. i don't think the color scheme can be taken into account since Ashninja is still largely blue and only incorporates some colors and physical features from Ash. given that the flower of a Floette comes from when it was a Flabébé, for all we know the Eternal Flower is Floette's "tie" to AZ, who does have ties to the flower through the Ultimate Weapon and the flower that he brought to Hoenn.

ultimately, i am skeptical of it being a mega. i won't rule it out completely, but i'm more thinking that it's closer to a new mechanic somehow related to Eternal Floette and perhaps even Cosplay Pikachu. of course, it could still just be an anime exclusive type thing.

* - as a linguist nerd note, several and seven do not have the same etymological root. seven comes from seofon in old English, which is taken from Dutch's zeven and German's sieben, which are taken from a common root in Latin and Greek septem and hepta respectively. several comes from Middle English and Anglo-Norman French through medieval Latin separalis, or separate.

Last edited:
nothing indicates that Ashninja is temporary, though, nothing indicates that it's not temporary either, so i think it's risky to assume either way. several refers to any amount greater than two, but, as the OED puts it, "not many."
Related to this point--we may not even know how being resurrected affects temporary form changes--we know AZ's Floette was unable to evolve, so perhaps a consequence of resurrection is being trapped in your current form.

One of the things that struck me about AZ's story is that despite being the king, his Pokemon was forced to fight--and its not as if Floette is a particularly powerful species of Pokemon. The only reason why this one Pokemon could tip the scales in battle (and why AZ might have reluctantly allowed it to go into battle) is if it had a power similar to Mega Evolution, which was a form change into Eternal Floette.

I don't really see a connection because AZ's Floette is a completely different thing:
1. AZ's Floette is a permament form, while Ash-Greninja sounds like a temporary form it takes during critical moments when its bond with Ash is at peak levels, making Ash-Greninja more like mega evolution (not to mention the "bond" between AZ and Floette was rather tainted to associate Floette's changes with a deep bond...)

I've been speculating about this in 2 different posts, but you people keep ignoring me. Well, whatever.
Just want to point out that Ash Greninja might not be a temporary form, there is not a direct statement from official source saying that it's temporary. It could be that when Frogadier evolve, its connection with Ash allow it to evolve into this look instead of the regular Greninja look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom