• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Problem is that Sun and Moon is assumed to be absolutely perfect with no flaws whatsoever. It is true that what we seen so far looks good but we have not seen all of the games. No generation has ever gone with less than 3 games. There are many possibilities to extend gen 7 to one more pair of games.

Here is some possibilities:
  • Sequels to SM - Alola can be expanded upon and we could start on a whole new island.
  • Remakes - These have not been written out. So something like DP remakes is possible.
  • Prequels - Never actually had these before but there is always a start.
  • Third version - It is possible for it to come back.
So there ways to keep gen 7 going a bit longer. SM has not been confirmed to be the only gen 7 games yet.

I think I've got a theory on why did they 'skip' or didn't make Z.

XY and Z are the last letters of the alphabet. X and Y indiacate that they're close to the end. But they didn't release Z since Z gives the impression that the Pokemon games have ended. They've indicated that they're having a new beginning by the titles of Gen 3 remakes- Omega Ruby, Alpha sapphires. Omega is the last letter, so it indicates that one era of Pokemon has ended, and Alpha (which comes after Omega in the titles), indicates a new beginning. So, it is like this
X, Y- Indicate that they're close to the end of an era
Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire (Note that Omega comes before Alpha)- Indiacate that the era has ended, and Alpha indicates that a new era is beginning.

And Z would've broken the symbolic 'new beginning' by coming directly after X and Y. So, I think Sun and Moon are the Pokemon Series' 'New Beginning'.

I gave a lot of thought to this theory, and when I think of it, it makes sense, since Alola is 'bursting with life' aka 'New Energy'.

2017 won't be a gap year. They will release GSC on Virtual Console.
Remember Pokémon GO will be releasing 2nd gen to be releases in May 2017, GF will probably jump on that.

I'm 100% sure (but I could be wrong haha)
They said that they have no plans to release GS on the 3DS Virtual Console anytime soon.

They said that they have no plans to release GS on the 3DS Virtual Console anytime soon.
Way to paraphrase. Here's what he really said:

Masuda said there were no plans at the moment to re-distribute Pokemon Gold and Silver games on Virtual Console. “With the 20th anniversary, it was the right timing to release the original games,’ Masuda explained. “I think that we really want to give people the experience of bringing these Pokemon from the original Game Boy and seeing what they look like in Pokemon Sun and Moon. That is something that I want people to enjoy.”
Mind you, he said the same thing about Red and Blue in October 2014:

Game Informer: How come we haven’t seen any of the original Pokémon games on the 3DS Virtual Console?

Our focus right now, as you can see with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire being a good example, is with the older titles we like to go back and update them and kind of power them up for the new generation. A lot of the communication features we feel that are obviously core to the Pokémon series, we have to update them. So for example these titles are compatible with Pokémon X and Y, you can battle and trade between the two series of games. So right now it’s just really that the only reason is that our focus is on actually updating the games and doing remakes instead of putting out the old titles.
The Virtual Console release ended up being confirmed 13 months after that.

Way to paraphrase. Here's what he really said:

Mind you, he said the same thing about Red and Blue in October 2014:

The Virtual Console release ended up being confirmed 13 months after that.
Thank you for that detailed response. I should really get my facts straight.

I find the notion of gen 8 two years later with no interim game quite ridiculous, and on an entirely new level of ignorance from the fandom. Yes switch and no BC is gonna be an issue in the grand scale of things, but expecting a new generation so soon is not the solution. A 2017 game with a break year in 2018 for gen 8 to debut in 2019 makes more sense, the Switch would b 6 months old compared to the year and a half by winter 2018, and it would still be financially sound to release 3DS games next year. Not to mention, its not like Gen 7 is some sort of anniversary, half-way generation that is doing something entirely different and existing in its own bubble, its its own period of time and deserves the breathing space. Not to mention if the games have the twist we are expecting, an actual league showing up later on, this is a great setup for the Anime to play the waiting game till its first year is over to switch over from slice of life to what we have been getting for the last 20 years. Come on.

I think I've got a theory on why did they 'skip' or didn't make Z.

XY and Z are the last letters of the alphabet. X and Y indiacate that they're close to the end. But they didn't release Z since Z gives the impression that the Pokemon games have ended. They've indicated that they're having a new beginning by the titles of Gen 3 remakes- Omega Ruby, Alpha sapphires. Omega is the last letter, so it indicates that one era of Pokemon has ended, and Alpha (which comes after Omega in the titles), indicates a new beginning. So, it is like this
X, Y- Indicate that they're close to the end of an era
Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire (Note that Omega comes before Alpha)- Indiacate that the era has ended, and Alpha indicates that a new era is beginning.

And Z would've broken the symbolic 'new beginning' by coming directly after X and Y. So, I think Sun and Moon are the Pokemon Series' 'New Beginning'.

I gave a lot of thought to this theory, and when I think of it, it makes sense, since Alola is 'bursting with life' aka 'New Energy'.
Z was not released because it would've meant five years (six internationally) in a row of Pokemon games, leading to saturation and exhaustion. the alternative would be to release Z over SM as the 20th anniversary "present" or simply not release SM and have Z in 2015, both of which seem a bit silly. there really is no tinfoil theory.

Honestly I'm glad they skipped Z.

Third versions are really nothing more than a strategy to milk the success of a franchise. Sure they offer a few more features and fixes, and that's certainly appreciated, but the differences are not much. People called Level-5 "greedy" for releasing third versions of Yo-Kai Watch, but it was really no different to what Game Freak has been doing for years. You can't say that one is at fault and the other isn't.

It would have been cool if they had mega trainers on a post game that you can rematch each day. Each using a mega evolution although they might have to use a different one each day since there are a lot of mega evolutions. Also leaving out mega evolutions of legendaries and primal reversion since that seems unlikely for normal opponents to have.

The latest Nintendo Minute confirms egg incubating @7:10. The hot springs at Poke Pelago functions as a means to hatch eggs faster.
This is great, hatching eggs took ages anyway. This change was seriously needed if they are really keen on getting everyone into the competitive game (which seems to be what they are doing with Hyper Training)

The hot springs at Poke Pelago functions as a means to hatch eggs faster.
This is great, hatching eggs took ages anyway.

Isn't Poke Pelago accessible only to deposited Pokemon? So is it really a way to hatch eggs faster or just a way to hatch them while in the PC (which may or may not be faster than hatching them in your party with a Flame Body/Magma Armor Pokemon). Regardless, it sounds like a useful feature, especially now that the eggs will be automatically sent to the PC if your party is full.

People called Level-5 "greedy" for releasing third versions of Yo-Kai Watch, but it was really no different to what Game Freak has been doing for years. You can't say that one is at fault and the other isn't.
They're both at fault, but considering that Game Freak hasn't done it since 2008, Level-5 is the one that looks bad now. At least some of the content is added to the original versions via a free patch.

They're both at fault, but considering that Game Freak hasn't done it since 2008, Level-5 is the one that looks bad now. At least some of the content is added to the original versions via a free patch.
Level-5 has only done it twice now, compared to Pokemon's five times (six if you do count BW2 as paired 'third versions', which I do). They're indeed both at fault, but Game Freak has been worse.

(six if you do count BW2 as paired 'third versions', which I do)

Why on Earth would you, though?

B2W2 are not only packed full of content (substantial new content at that, such as Join Avenue and the Key System) that wasn't there in BW. They have a completely different plot, a significantly altered pathway across the region, several new towns, routes, and dungeons, a hugely expanded regional Dex, and a feature that expands the game even further if you have played BW.

Putting that on the level of third versions makes little sense, and it makes me wonder what exactly you're expecting them to do. "New Gen, then Remake" every time? B2W2 were unprecedented and were their first real innovative mold-breaker since FRLG (although I will admit that it wasn't technically their idea - Iwata told them to do something more interesting than Gray, but hey, they listened and delivered).

For me, the games would be out in about 13 days. My patience has paid off plus I occupied my self with the demo so that was neat. In terms of third version and sequels, B2W2 are far different to third versions. Third versions usually only change the focus to the third legendary pokemon with some small changes such as pokedex expansion and more. The sequels bring a whole new story unlike third versions and gives more new locations than a standard third version does.

I think sequels have the edge but I wouldn't mind getting back into third versions.

Let's not start the whole B2W2-sequels-third-version debate again.

Still 18 more days to go. I'll be avoiding the forums for those agonising 5 days, 18-23. At least I'll also be receiving a Genesect code as well, hopefully. :)

If I had to guess what will come up after SM, it probably won't be remakes. I guess. It makes sense to also remake Sinnoh on the 3DS in the sense that the Kalos-Alola relationship is in a lot of ways similar to the Hoenn-Sinnoh relationship and the 4 generations together resemble gen 3 and 4 in the way they blended Gens 1/3 and 2/4 together, but on the other hand Gamefreak like surprises, so a B2W2 situation might not be the solution either. I think direct sequels with the PC of SM moving back to Kanto or another old region is also a major possibility, with ties to Alola. In the end I also think Marshadow as a mythical is a bait and switch and that its in a similar situation as cosmog, but god knows why.

Back
Top Bottom