• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May and Dawn’s Worst Contest Victories

Who had the cheapest wins?

• May

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Dawn

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Both its a tie

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Neither they both won their matches with skill

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
Basically, what do you think was the worst matches that there two had that resulted in a victory?

For May, Skitty vs. Timmy Grimm’s Dusclops. That match was just completely unfair being that Skitty in any of its matches has been shown to take damage (it takes a hit but there is no visible damage to it at all); multiple Hyper Beams, Focus Punches and Will-o-Wisps didn’t seem to tire the little kitten at all, but one dead-on-Blizzard takes out the ghost. Really sad because of the torment Timmy’s mom gave him about Pokemon in the first place.

The Jynx that Skilly battled for May’s last contest in Hoenn was another one of those “Skitty is an almost unbeatable Pokemon that can take no damage!” sort of match, but it was strategy that helped it win with Assist I will give it that much credit.

Also, when her Squirtle beat Harley’s Ariodos to get her first Kanto ribbon really ticked me off. She just got the starter Pokemon from Oak’s lab a few episodes before and now it defeats a trained contest Pokemon?

Finally, the #1 May victory that was complete unfair; May vs. Brock! This match was such a tease that it wasn’t even funny. The scoreboard was against Brock…how Eevee could make such a comeback by jumping on rocks following up with a Tackle earning a win is completely beyond me. Brock had the victory from the start Protect against Shadow Ball, using Marshstomp’s fins to avoid Dig and firing Mud Shot/Water Gun for damage. It was just too unfair, amazing that he made it to the finals in his first contest, but he is a breeder and has seen a lot of contests beforehand.

For Dawn, the Wallace Cup win she managed to scrape up but I’ve already been down that road before in a thread. Any match against Ursula, she just won “saved by the bell!” or in this case the timer.

The GF match with her was cheap, Dawn started off great but Ursula came back strong and was completely controlling the match and out of nowhere Dawn knocked out both Pokemon in a single move. The match with Jessie was just cut down on screen time along with making Jessie seem like she was completely helpless.

What are your picks?

Uh, well, I didn't like the Hikari vs Musashi battle in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. My honest opinion is that they should've focused on it more than the Naoshi vs Nozomi battle. It was a total letdown or whatever you call it, because it was over in 5 seconds and made Musashi seem so much weaker than Hikari.

Dawn. She beat everyone by winning with the time, not by beating her opponents' pokemon.

That was just luck, unlike May.

Dawn. She beat everyone by winning with the time, not by beating her opponents' pokemon.

That was just luck, unlike May.

Yeah, in Sinnoh I guess they just (almost) completely got rid of winning by knock out except for; Kenny knocking out Ambipom with Prinplup, GF match with Ursula and a couple others.

Dawn's only win that I enjoyed was against her mom's past rival with the Swift and Shock Wave struggle. Ambipom vs. Delcatty.

I'm gonna have to say that Haruka had more cheaper wins than Hikari. Hoping on Cat's Paw with Eneko isn't a strategy. Messing up your appeal and winning by juggling is bull.

The first match against Urara was horrible, mostly for the ending with Hatred Fang being blocked yet still giving Hikari the win.

I'm gonna have to say that Haruka had more cheaper wins than Hikari. Hoping on Cat's Paw with Eneko isn't a strategy. Messing up your appeal and winning by juggling is bull.

The first match against Urara was horrible, mostly for the ending with Hatred Fang being blocked yet still giving Hikari the win.

Assist gives a random move each time like Munchlax and Metronome...I suppose I stand corrected being that it is a "dumb-luck" way of battling. Oh yeah, she did make it to the second round of Skitty's first contest even though she screwed up!

Ursula battles were just sad, she was such a great coordinator but Dawn's plot made her lose time after time what a shame. She had my favorite GF appeal with evolution involved.

The only cheap Ursula win was the Grand Festival one.

The second match was excellent, and while the first Pachi Vs. Gabite battle did seem kinda forced, it was still alright.

I agree that May's worst victories were Skitty Vs. Dusclops, May Vs. Brock and Squirtle Vs. Ariados.

May did have more cheaper (not using a double comparison here) victories than Dawn. And plus, Dawn even had more losses to her name than May despite having a head start on her journey.
I'd say the cheapest Contest victory of all was probably Eevee vs. Marshtomp.
Not quite.
And there may be a few other times I'm currenly forgetting.

Last edited:
The only cheap Ursula win was the Grand Festival one.

The second match was excellent, and while the first Pachi Vs. Gabite battle did seem kinda forced, it was still alright.

I agree that May's worst victories were Skitty Vs. Dusclops, May Vs. Brock and Squirtle Vs. Ariados.

I gotta agree here, when I saw Dawn win against Ursula that episode I was like, wait what just happened here? I'm a Dawn fan, so don't think I'm not. However I do feel it was a cheap win. For me, they had a few as well, does May V.S Ash count? That one when May arrived in her home town, forgot the episodes name. For me its a tie wow.

I gotta agree here, when I saw Dawn win against Ursula that episode I was like, wait what just happened here? I'm a Dawn fan, so don't think I'm not. However I do feel it was a cheap win. For me, they had a few as well, does May V.S Ash count? That one when May arrived in her home town, forgot the episodes name. For me its a tie wow.

Oh, yeah I think that was a Pokemon battle not a contest battle (if I remember correctly). I actually didn’t like that episode…well I’m kind of iffy about it. They just treated Ash like scum the entire episode (the people that were Norman fans), I would have given anything to see the looks on their faces when Ash actually defeated him. The positive side of the episode was seeing Ash dominate all of those trainers! Pikachu knocking out 6Pokemon in one hit, his entire team (minus Tallow) must have earned a lot of experience points!!

That “battle” was completely ridiculous, I mean a crowd is entitled to their opinions, but booing so loud that a trainer can’t order their Pokemon is completely uncalled for. If I remember correctly, in Pokemon battles the Pokemon are supposed to attack their opponents not the trainer. Then how come Ash was “unable” to battle after he was roasted by Torchic’s Ember? I know this is a little off subject, but it would be interesting to see Paul in Ash’s shoes during that episode…

I mean even Max didn’t like what was happening considering May’s ego was bursting from her ears, and he was in complete shock that the crowd said that she won the match.

Dawn beating May in the wallace cup made Dawn win this poll.
That just adds her up on the cheapest wins ever.

Dawn. I personally just do not like her. Her voice drives me insane she is way to perky and I also hate her catchphrase, but that is my opion.

Dawn. I personally just do not like her. Her voice drives me insane she is way to perky and I also hate her catchphrase, but that is my opion.

*Sigh*...I agree there have been times when "No need to worry!" is used more than once in the same 2 minutes when she talks. I can't think of the episode, but I looked at it not to long ago and it drove me nuts! Her rivals have nothing on May's and her Piplup annoys the crap out of me sometimes as well. The only Piplup episode that I can say I enjoyed nearly 100% was the one where it learns Hydro Pump.

Main reason for liking the episode: for once Piplup had a legit grip for acting the way it did (jealous) his own trainer was more concerned about Gible's well-being despite him taking multiple Draco Metor attacks and it ran off.

They just treated Ash like scum the entire episode (the people that were Norman fans), I would have given anything to see the looks on their faces when Ash actually defeated him. The positive side of the episode was seeing Ash dominate all of those trainers! Pikachu knocking out 6Pokemon in one hit, his entire team (minus Tallow) must have earned a lot of experience points!!

I almosr forgot this part of the episode existed! thanks for bringing all the memories back. I remember huge walls of text back in the day when said episode was new over at serebii...cyber/scott/gliscor'd and other kept argueing of this scene which was obviously NOT meant to be taken seriously at all. Good times...

I have to say that Haruka had more bullshir wins over the years but that doesn't change my opinion that I enjoyed her contest quest a lot more than Hikari's quest. ^^"

May had believable wins? That's news to me. (That is a joke. Everyone knows that May had 1 or 2 contest battles that were believable.) Dawn's contest arc was much much more believable.

I think everyone has their own opinions on which were more believable and which weren't and that's okay. We should respect that. Our differences are what make us all beautiful and unique. They should be respected, nay celebrated.

I almosr forgot this part of the episode existed! thanks for bringing all the memories back. I remember huge walls of text back in the day when said episode was new over at serebii...cyber/scott/gliscor'd and other kept argueing of this scene which was obviously NOT meant to be taken seriously at all. Good times...

I have to say that Haruka had more bullshir wins over the years but that doesn't change my opinion that I enjoyed her contest quest a lot more than Hikari's quest. ^^"

Haha, I just watched that episode, and it was hilarious! Ok, so they didn't like Ash (the entire town) but overall I laughed about 90% of the episode.

I don't feel bad for the town's people being fooled by TR (dressed up as Norman and Caroline, Wobbofett and Meowth were Max and May). One guy that claimed to be May's neighbors for most of his adult life looked at "May and Max" square in the face and said these were the real kids!! Oh my goodness and when the reporter says "Who the Pokemon are you?!" I rolled with laughter!

At the end, seeing Pikachu being the star and the town still hating Ash was funny reminded me of the ending of "Showdown in Dark City!"

I really liked seeing Ash takedown the town's trainers that told him he wouldn't be good enough against Norman. Too bad Charizard or one of his champ Pokemon weren't there to take them down a peg. However, he did just fine with his Hoenn team.

May's head got too big even against Max's advice, the same happens a few episodes later when she battles for her 3rd ribbon and loses.

May had believable wins?

My thoughts exactly. May probably did have a few believable wins, but for the most part she won contests by relying on luck and cheap juggling/frisbee acts. She basically spammed Skitty's Assist or Munchlax's Metronome until a good move came out of them. To add onto that, a lot of May's battles were DEM. That's not to say that they weren't enjoyable, though. Her battles just weren't handled as well as most of Dawn's battles and made me want to facepalm half of the time.

You know, that battle did make sense in context.

Overall, I think May had more cheaper wins than Dawn, but Dawn beating May was just ridiculous. A still fairly inexperienced coordinator beating one who's been in two grand festivals and training for way longer? Please.

Overall, I think May had more cheaper wins than Dawn, but Dawn beating May was just ridiculous. A still fairly inexperienced coordinator beating one who's been in two grand festivals and training for way longer? Please.

May has beaten plenty of people who are a lot more experienced than she is. How is that any different? Experience =/= everything.

Anyway, while I do like May, she did have a lot more badly written wins than Dawn.

...and people? May's contest arc makes a point about making the opponent faint is not the point of contests. It's about making your pokemon look good and using the timing and points to your advantage. Sure, you could make your opponent faint but that does not make you a good coordinator. In DP, most wins came with points - does that make everyone who won a contest battle cheap?

Zoey vs Nando is an example of how truly skilled coordinators battle in a contest - a fact highlighted by the anime itself.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom