• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP03: The Evolutionary War

"ill-loo-miss"?

I've always pronounced it "gor-uh-biss", too. Gorebyss looks like a sleek, almost-kinda-pretty Pokemon; it's a little hard to associate it with a word like "gore", isn't it? It'd be like trying to call Eevee "Fluffydeath" or something.

Kthleen said:
All the kids fighting was interesting, but I can't say that the resolution made sense. Despite that this is Pokémon, I thought Nancy and Keith were eventually going mercilessly teased or even beat up.
Hm! I was thinking the same thing, actually, until they showed the little two-minute "everyone's trading stuff, it's neat! :D" at the end. Considering the islands had such a bitter rivalry going on, having them kiss-and-make-up in the span of an afternoon seemed a little sudden...

But, I suppose they had to work a resolution in there, somehow.

Does anyone know for a fact who Deepsea Teeth/Scales come from?

In the GBA games?

Find the Scanner in the Abandoned Ship, return it to Capt. Stern in Slateport, and he will offer you a choice between the two.

Gorebyss is much better than Huntail though.

Maybe I heard wrong... but I didn't hear the "Gore-abyss" at all. I heard it pronounced "Gore-biss" the entire time.

~Zak

I think May's Pokedex said "Goreabyss", but then the characters all said "Gorebiss" instead.

Uh, so the impression I'm getting here was that today's episode really sucked? Good, because I missed it because I was watching Star Wars Episode II on DVD, which isn't too much of an improvement. I never really liked either Huntail or Gorebyss. But I love Clamperl. Oh, well. I don't need to see every single flippin' filler.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Figure I'll just catch this ep in reruns, but I do have a question. Who decides on the pronunciations of the names, NoA or 4Kids?

I would assume NOA, since they're the ones who come up with the names and all.

Dogasu said:
Originally, the islands were called I, Ro, and Ha, after the katakana symbols the islands look like.
I wonder why 4kids didn't use their digital paint bucket to alter the islands?
It was an ok episode. It was a little better than the one from last week. To me Nancy's voice sounded like Dorie's from Magical DoReMi. I wonder if it was the same v.a. since those are both 4kids dubs.

I heard everyone else say "Gore-abyss." I was really surprised when Dextette said it. (I don't know why....)

Kauri said:
"ill-loo-miss"?

I've always pronounced it "gor-uh-biss", too. Gorebyss looks like a sleek, almost-kinda-pretty Pokemon; it's a little hard to associate it with a word like "gore", isn't it? It'd be like trying to call Eevee "Fluffydeath" or something.

Hm! I was thinking the same thing, actually, until they showed the little two-minute "everyone's trading stuff, it's neat! :D" at the end. Considering the islands had such a bitter rivalry going on, having them kiss-and-make-up in the span of an afternoon seemed a little sudden...

But, I suppose they had to work a resolution in there, somehow.
I thought it was "ill-loo-meez." I didn't look too much at its Japanese name, so I didn't get that it was "ill-loo-mee-zay." Dadgummit, they should have put an e with an acute accent at the end. Illumisé.

"Although GOREBYSS is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this POKéMON inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluid."
Gore: "[to] wound by piercing with a sharp or penetrating object or instrument"

I'm not alone!
Do they really need to resolve everything like that? Darn it, they didn't make that one Nurse Joy stop fearing Water Pokémon. Not everything should turn out peaches and candy. (I know not everything does quite [i.e. Latios' and
Rukario's (not like no one doesn't know already, but I like to be careful)
deaths], but you know what I mean.)

endofheartaches said:
In the GBA games?
Actually, I meant which Pokémon. (I don't have Ru/Sa/E, but thanks anyway.) Is it that scales from Gorebyss make Clamperl evolve into more Gorebyss and teeth from Huntail make Clamperl evolve into more Huntail? Or do these teeth/scales come from some other Pokémon? Or perhaps even a non-Pokémon animal?

Last edited:
I tried so hard to wake up for this. I set my alarm, it went off, turned it on and passed out. I only woke up one time during the show, oddly enough it was the start of TR's motto. I remember smiling and then falling back asleep before the thing was done. lol I seriously feel bad b/c I missed it T.T

I liked the episode fine :-D. It was pretty repetitive, but oh well, I've seen worse. I got to see Birch :crush:, and Huntail and Gorebyss <3, two of my fave water types. Overall, it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I give it 7.5/10.

Oh, and I've always pronounced Gorebyss as Goh-reh-beess, not Gore-abyss =P.

Interesting enough, the electric went out in one wall of my room, so the alarm didn't go off, but I woke up when the tape started (it was attached to the wall that had power.) I thought this episode was so-so in English, although it seemed a lot more exciting in the Japanese version, from what I remember.

I hadn't heard the names of the Pokemon before in English, so I wouldn't know. But I mispronounced Chimecho's name before the English introduced it... (I said it with a short "i" instead of a long one.)

Kthleen said:
"Although GOREBYSS is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this POKéMON inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluid."
Gore: "[to] wound by piercing with a sharp or penetrating object or instrument"

... ohh. Wow. That'll teach me to pay more attention to Pokedex entries. :x

Has any episode in the history of the televised anime ever had anything less than a happy ending? I know some have been "bittersweet" - i.e, May's returning that little Altaria to its flock - but have there ever been any honest-to-goodness unhappy endings..?

So this is where this thread went...
I kinda liked it. Few minor quibbles, however. Firstly, I no longer feel bad about how my chibi style changes every two months, since for the animators, it seems to change every episode. COME ON FOLKS! Let's decide on a standardized set of proportions for Chibi Gio and get it over with. The threee and four head length chibis from last season were fine, but this one almost looked like a cute lil kid... scary. (Ends artist rant)
Anyhoo, am I the only one who thinks the writers are preoccupied with magic water as a plot device? First Mewtwo Returns, then the stuff in "A Six Pack Attack", and now this. Hmm.. maybe Luna had nothing to worry about after all.
Overall, though, it was rather good. Especially the "can you hear me now" crack.. wonder how many kids got that one?

nekusagi-chan said:
Especially the "can you hear me now" crack.. wonder how many kids got that one?

If they don't, they obviously haven't been watching enough television. But isn't that a good thing? So do we really want them to get it? ^_^

Interesting that the girl on the phone was named Midori.

Did Birch's voice change? It's still Dan Green, but it seems like he's trying to sound deeper than usual.

And so Joy didn't know who he was? So this strange guy just comes around and jumps in the pool, and she doesn't even ask who he is?

So the DeepSea items are both dun brown? They look like they're made of gingerbread.

Not really the episode in particular, but Gorebyss has a seashell bra.

Man, have these kids never heard of standing up against peer pressure?

What's with the forehead hairs in the Boss Fantasy? And re: Gio's wild side "I didn't know he had one" made me snicker.

Wait a minute...that scale's pink! The ones Birch had earlier were brown! Were they just models?

And that tooth is gray and white!

Does Birch know all along that transporting them will evolve them?

A giant Kingler! That's the coolest thing ever.

Does Grovyle just hold the branch in its mouth with its tongue?

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
So the DeepSea items are both dun brown? They look like they're made of gingerbread.

(....)

Wait a minute...that scale's pink! The ones Birch had earlier were brown! Were they just models?

And that tooth is gray and white!

I think the brown ones were fossils. Or yeah, models. Because the colors of the scale and tooth match the icons of the items in the games.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom